Lobby: Up
Online: 58
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:30 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:07 pm 

I'm interested in building a new rig to use with my TV. Seems like infinite options but I wanted to see who's using a micro ATX or mini ITX system(that performs very solid) and how your gameplay is affected with large resolutions. I will be pursuing HDMI connectivity to my TV, not VGA or otherwise.

I haven't decided on a base board and processor yet so wanted to get some opinions what works well for you, assuming you have a setup like this. I don't care if its a custom build or a pre-configured Dell/HP/etc rig. I'm currently playing on a Dell Precision Workstation which more than satisfies this game, but I'd like to have a backup rig for another room with no sacrifice to performance. Post a pic of your setup and some specs if you have the time!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:48 pm 

ffxizol wrote:
I'm interested in building a new rig to use with my TV. Seems like infinite options but I wanted to see who's using a micro ATX or mini ITX system(that performs very solid) and how your gameplay is affected with large resolutions. I will be pursuing HDMI connectivity to my TV, not VGA or otherwise.

I haven't decided on a base board and processor yet so wanted to get some opinions what works well for you, assuming you have a setup like this. I don't care if its a custom build or a pre-configured Dell/HP/etc rig. I'm currently playing on a Dell Precision Workstation which more than satisfies this game, but I'd like to have a backup rig for another room with no sacrifice to performance. Post a pic of your setup and some specs if you have the time!

First off, I would not go with any OEM-built PC for gaming because of their use of cheap motherboards and power supplies. They also, depending on the manufacturer, use proprietary hardware that does not allow you to replace a power supply with an off the shelf power supply, for example. Avoid anything that is labeled as "slim". Those are fine for grandma, not ok for gaming. That said, FFXI will run ok on just about anything.

These days the only difference between a Full ATX board and Mini ITX is the form factor. The ITX boards use the same chipsets and have the same performance as the full size boards. Where you will be limited with ITX is in expandability. An ITX board will only have one full length PCI-E port that, if you are gaming, will be filled with a video card. They will also only have 2 memory slots, though this isn't really a big deal. Otherwise, you get built in sound, network, the same number of USB ports, and Wifi and bluetooth depending on the board. Exactly like the full size boards. There's also some really cool ITX cases out there, if you're willing to spend the $$$. Putting the computer by your living room TV? ITX works great for that.

The real advantage to ITX is you can get away with a smaller case, but with some caveats. If you choose a case big enough to house the biggest longest video card, well, then that case is going to be the size of a micro ATX case. If you choose a smaller form factor video card (they make these now, and they are intended for ITX), it won't have the cooling of a full size card and won't be as overclockable (if that's your thing). ITX cases are, almost without exception, much tighter and therefore are more difficult to wire manage and upgrade/repair. Generally not good for the first time builder. My previous, now secondary, gaming PC was an ITX and the only real issue I have with it was that it was a pain to maintain and upgrade because everything is so tight. Because of that, my current gaming PC is a Ryzen 5 3600, 1080ti, and Samsung NVMe ssd in a BIG HONKIN case because they're just so nice to work in. Between Intel and AMD I am not a fanboy and just go with whatever gives me the most bang for the buck. An excellent budget build right now would be Ryzen 5 2600/2600x, 16GB DDR4, and Nvidia GTX 1660, and an SSD of whatever size you can afford. Do not buy or build a PC in TYOOL 2019 without an SSD.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:59 am 

Thanks for the reply. All things said, I'm very computer savvy and only looking for a small, high-performing PC to put in my entertainment center. I've built dozens of PCs in my time and know all of the ins and outs. Since I haven't kept in tune with leading small form factor PCs, I'm just looking for information in that respect.

Full ATX > *, I don't need another like that :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:18 pm 

ffxizol wrote:
Thanks for the reply. All things said, I'm very computer savvy and only looking for a small, high-performing PC to put in my entertainment center. I've built dozens of PCs in my time and know all of the ins and outs. Since I haven't kept in tune with leading small form factor PCs, I'm just looking for information in that respect.

Full ATX > *, I don't need another like that :)

If you've built systems before you won't have any issues. Main point I want to get across is there is no performance difference between ATX and ITX anymore. There used to be, remember the old Shuttle boxes? They used some kind of proprietary/embedded board and cpu and were slower than their full desktop counterparts. ITX has bridged that gap in the last 10 years. Same chipset, same CPU.