* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:31 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:00 pm 

>Engineer

>Engineers have no idea what's going on

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:17 pm 

Network Engineer / general IT guy here:
Without Google (or search engines in general), most of us would be basically worthless.

But, since that's probably already a well-known fact, how about:
With only a [startlingly] few exceptions, the entire functionality of the Interwebs is essentially based on trusting that the router(s) you're talking to are telling you the truth. The number of massive (and in some cases potentially life-threatening) Internet outages that are caused by a simple typo in a BGP statement/route-map/etc. by one underpaid engineer sitting cross-legged on the floor in front of a rack in some mostly-unmanned data center in mid-Chicago is downright frightening.

Consider this a PSA for BGP filtering

I'd put cool pics of my achievements/items here, if they were anything interesting. How about "I pooped today! \o/"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:15 pm 

omen285 wrote:
Phersulion wrote:
Plumber here~

>90% of us honestly want to help you out and understand that our service is expensive. The other 10% don't belong in this trade and will rip you off while not fixing anything. CHOOSE WISELY and get references before you hire a tradesman.
>Understand (in my state at least) we have 5 years of schooling to go through so we don't accidentally blow up/set fire to your house or poison you with CO, Lead etc.
>Be kind to your plumber, they will go above and beyond to help you.
>Standing over us while we work won't make the problem get fixed faster.

this is interesting, because its a common point of discussion from boomers on facebook contending school isn't necessary to have a good wage: that being a plumber is one good way to do so.
nothing but respect to my plumbers tho, they know the worst of me. :P

In my case the "trade school" I attened was only 550 hours and I was limited to 110 hours a year. So five years, dumb I know. Another thing is that yearly tuition was about $1200 USD so you could easily work and pay for school. Seemed like a no brainer for me since academically i'm fucking garbage.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:45 pm 

Phersulion wrote:
omen285 wrote:
Phersulion wrote:
Plumber here~

>90% of us honestly want to help you out and understand that our service is expensive. The other 10% don't belong in this trade and will rip you off while not fixing anything. CHOOSE WISELY and get references before you hire a tradesman.
>Understand (in my state at least) we have 5 years of schooling to go through so we don't accidentally blow up/set fire to your house or poison you with CO, Lead etc.
>Be kind to your plumber, they will go above and beyond to help you.
>Standing over us while we work won't make the problem get fixed faster.

this is interesting, because its a common point of discussion from boomers on facebook contending school isn't necessary to have a good wage: that being a plumber is one good way to do so.
nothing but respect to my plumbers tho, they know the worst of me. :P

In my case the "trade school" I attened was only 550 hours and I was limited to 110 hours a year. So five years, dumb I know. Another thing is that yearly tuition was about $1200 USD so you could easily work and pay for school. Seemed like a no brainer for me since academically i'm fucking garbage.

And consider this a legit PSA for trade/vocational schools :) Too many people are raised to believe that you're going to be homeless without a college degree while at the same time being led to believe that the trades and blue-collar jobs in general are "low-class work". Tell that to the journeyman pipefitter making double what you make (plus amazing benefits, yay unions) while you struggle to pay off six figures of debt you accrued while taking your grad degree in underwater basket-weaving.

I'd put cool pics of my achievements/items here, if they were anything interesting. How about "I pooped today! \o/"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:59 pm 

Gollum wrote:

And consider this a legit PSA for trade/vocational schools :) Too many people are raised to believe that you're going to be homeless without a college degree while at the same time being led to believe that the trades and blue-collar jobs in general are "low-class work". Tell that to the journeyman pipefitter making double what you make (plus amazing benefits, yay unions) while you struggle to pay off six figures of debt you accrued while taking your grad degree in underwater basket-weaving.

i don't want to get too far into this but the obvious question is, why is a trade school so inexpensive given the difficulty of the job (plumbers, carpenters....)
versus something like a 4 yr liberal arts degree where you don't walk away with any real skill, your'e just set up to take more classes.
Someone is banking a lot of tuition cash.

~~

Anyways, another trade secret:
I used to work at a burger joint in El Paso, Texas, named Silver Streak, i don't know if those exist anymore. We often put weed in burgers. Also we never had onions rings because we ate them all and most employees hooked up in the storage area. :o

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:44 pm 

Considering the events of the weekend, I feel like I might have jinxed Cloudflare with my earlier statement about how fragile the Internet really is ^^;

BGP really is a four-letter word

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:13 pm 

omen285 wrote:
Gollum wrote:

i don't want to get too far into this but the obvious question is, why is a trade school so inexpensive given the difficulty of the job (plumbers, carpenters....)
versus something like a 4 yr liberal arts degree where you don't walk away with any real skill, your'e just set up to take more classes.
Someone is banking a lot of tuition cash.

My best guess is because there is no need for prerequisites when all you're doing is addition and subtraction. College is a scam to some extent in my eyes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:55 pm 

Little known fact:
if you flirt with the cutie in the Popeye's drive through window --
your wife will hit you.

#boomerhumor