Lobby: Up
Online: 9
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:04 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: How do I know I exist?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:50 am 

Are we truly alive? Aren't we just a simple product of our biology and the chemical reactions happening in our body all the time? Do we really have autonomy, or can we easily be molded by our hormones and the situations around us?

If there is no inherent greater purpose to ourselves than simply existing, why not be sociopathic and fight for ones own best interest? In the end, does anything really matter?

This nihilistic void of purposelessness shadows every moment of my being. How do we find something greater than ourselves, when we are the pinnacle of all known creation? How do we know anything is truly real?

I look forward to death, when I will finally find freedom from this physical prison, yet at the same time I run as far away from it as I can, endlessly driven to remain.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:04 am 

please eat more vegetables

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:14 pm 

if you can watch this video with no reaction then youre right nothing matters.
/watch?v=brwT1sIWddQ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:22 pm 

I think, therefore I am... whether its a simulation or real is irrelevant. Existing in this place is probably all we have, as sucky as it seems... better laugh in the face of death while you can.

"Look through a faithless eye... Are you afraid to die?"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:15 pm 

Nothing tells me i'm physically existing like digging up some clay from the earth and painting my face with it then running through the forest in a loincloth.

Maybe that's why dogs like to roll in dead things. They are reality checking themselves. "What is life? Oh yeah this horrid stench of rotting death all over my fur is perfect!".

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:40 pm 

Soooo.... how was that smoothie?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:06 pm 

Aperture wrote:
Soooo.... how was that smoothie?

The kale makes it. I'm telling ya, if you don't like the taste of dirt then you are going to miss out on the good stuff. You can substitute it for chard!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:21 am 

Saiga wrote:
Nothing tells me i'm physically existing like digging up some clay from the earth and painting my face with it then running through the forest in a loincloth.

Maybe that's why dogs like to roll in dead things. They are reality checking themselves. "What is life? Oh yeah this horrid stench of rotting death all over my fur is perfect!".

Not sure if serious!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:41 pm 

Cilarnen wrote:
Not sure if serious!

Totally! :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:08 am 

I think a lot about the philosophy of life and death, and in doing so have come across ideas that are both endearing as well as morbid.

The question "Is life is worth living and the concept that if it isn't, why not just be selfish in life?" is as you can expect, one that cannot be answered with true certainty but can be pondered with heavy variation.

One aspect that I noticed in life when it comes to life on Earth is that every organism, even on a primitive level tends to avoid death, even in the most awful of situations where surviving a situation would be agony. Of course, suicidal tendencies in humans are considered to be a result of mental illnesses, and as such, can't be defined as a true intention to desire death.

What's the significance of that observation? In a more morbid thought-- perhaps death in itself is a more horrifying aspect than we can even perceive? Whilst we can't prove the existence or non-existence of an afterlife, one thing is certain: No healthy organism that lives desires a fruitless death. As such, for all we know the afterlife could be an eternal existence of agony. The afterlife could be a consistent repetition of what your last thought was; as your brain stops functioning, the last thought you have simply plays on repeat in a sense. There could be certain rules to how your death translates into your experience after death (ex: the Native American belief that if your corpse's eyes aren't open, then you can't see in the afterlife). There's a massive uncertainty to what we'd experience if we died, and as scary and morbid as those thoughts can be... that fear of the unknown is what strives us to continue on even for another second.

As for whether or not you should live your life with the consideration of others is for you and you alone to decide the intensity of in a sense. As you can tell, sympathy and empathy are generally imbued into mammals subconsciously. It's why when you see someone be mistreated, you know that it's wrong. It's why when one of a duo of dogs passes away, the living dog will morn and become depressed even if all of the same necessities are immediately provided by someone else.

We feel empathy and sympathy because we know that the same thing could have or has happened to us. For the most part humans can understand that treating someone else with a sense of kindness and respect is the right thing to do, as we would hope to be treated in the same way. As such, the opposite exists where we may treat someone with hate and disrespect if they did something to us that we interpret to be the same thing.

As such, the Golden Rule holds true for most people and is such a globally used rule even if it's under a different name or wording. Even if it were true that nothing matters and life is meaningless, we can understand that everyone is going through this meaningless life as well, and that you shouldn't feel entitled to make someone else's existence an existence of displeasure and pain.

The concept that there's nothing when you die doesn't necessarily have to be a bad one either. For me personally, I feel as though it invokes the concept that you should live and do what you want to do without the fear of anyone else's judgement. The inspiration to do what you consider to be good, helpful, or comfortable as you so desire. The ease of burden that even if you don't manage to become the next Einstein, Bill Gates, or Martin Luther King Jr.-- that you did perfectly fine because you did what you wanted to do. So long as what you do doesn't intentionally and directly hinder someone from being able to live their life as they so desire or intend, you should be able to eventually pass away into nothingness, knowing that you got to experience what you wanted to experience, that those important to you will remember you, and that now you get to rest having fully enjoyed your life the best you could; for better or for worse, you did what you wanted to and hopefully enriched the lives of other people, even if it was only marginal.