Lobby: Up
Online: 47
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:09 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:19 am 

The tl;dr. I'm leaving for the military soon and am going to be separated from my bf for a year minimum. I want to get him a ring so he remembers me while I'm gone. How do I go about this?

Pre-marriage/engagement rings generally go on the ring finger of the right hand, however in this spot he wears a ring from his aunt who passed away a few years ago (she pretty much raised him as a child). I estimate this finger to be size 10.5-11. Should I get one for a different finger? Do I just estimate his size? or do I just take him to a store and find a size that fits? Is it better to be a surprise? Should I asked him which finger he prefers? Should I ask him if he even wants one at all? Titanium/tungsten carbide can't really be re-sized iirc.

What's the best course of action?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:35 pm 

You can print out paper ring sizers that you roll up and measure the finger. Get him hopped up on the sole sushi and slip one on when he is passed out.

Communication works too with the asking if he wants/sizing/picking etc. My wife and I went to the store to look at engagement rings before we were engaged.

I know with my knuckles its kind of weird. My left hand ring finger my knuckle is size X but under it where the ring sits is smaller so its slides up and down a fair amount. If i got it smaller it would risk being stuck on my hand. I have a tungsten ring and you are correct they cannot be resized. They are quite durable though and fairly cheap. Don't let him drop it on to concrete from a distance and it should be fine for a loooong time. Very hard to scratch them as well. I reno'd most of my house with mine on (when it wouldn't involve degloving my finger in an accident) and its scratch free and 3+ years old.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:48 pm 

Doesn't everyone have two ring slots?

... But seriously, I would buy the same size ring for the other hand. If tradition is important enough to him where he must have the engagement ring on the correct finger, his aunt's ring could be moved to the opposite hand - or worn together with your ring.

That's what I'd do. Theres many ways to go about this, no doubt... but its not like any one way is more correct than the next when it comes to making choices that you feel aren't yours to make. Sometimes, you just have to do what you feel is right.

Last edited by Sinclair on Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:58 pm 

Ring and trinkets are old.....

I suggest paralyzing him by druging his drink then cut your name into him. He'll always remember you, now and forever. :3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:49 am 

kabibi18 wrote:
I know with my knuckles its kind of weird.

Mine are the same lol. That sounds kind of annoying, I'm not sure if I'll like that.

Sinclair wrote:
That's what I'd do. Theres many ways to go about this, no doubt... but its not like any one way is more correct than the next when it comes to making choices that you feel aren't yours to make. Sometimes, you just have to do what you feel is right.

What about easy? Buying one online and having it shipped seems way easier on the nerves than asking him or going to a store!

Moogle wrote:
I suggest paralyzing him by druging his drink then cut your name into him. He'll always remember you, now and forever. :3

Wow. Maybe instead I should cut off his ring finger? Then everyone would know for sure that he is literally taken. And he'll definitely never forget.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:30 pm 

I went to the one store with my fiancee beforehand but I ordered hers online and it worked perfectly and she loves it. Don't let the stigma bug you, same stuff as store just modernized. Fancier we buy gold/estate jewelry with web design added!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:42 pm 

have fun

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:12 pm 

Here is how I did it;

I placed my wife's hand against mine while we were talking and holding hands. I then looked at which one of my fingers resembled her ring finger. If was easy after that, the ring fit perfectly and she had no clue how I guessed it. It has to be subtle though otherwise he'll have some sort of idea of something amiss. Regarding which finger that is up to you, although an engagement ring should be on that left ring finger.

Good luck and congrats. Ohh and surprises are the best. ^^