Which type of controls do you use?
Keyboard 24%  24%  [ 10 ]
PS4 Controller 24%  24%  [ 10 ]
Xbox 360 Controller 27%  27%  [ 11 ]
Other 24%  24%  [ 10 ]
Total votes: 41
 Post subject: Re: Gamepad Controller?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:10 am 

Thank you kindly, lolBST. Looks like I need to try a couple different ones.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:32 am 

Ps4 controllers should have native direct input support for most newer versions of windows. If all you use it for is to play ffxi, you won't even need to dl ds4windows/input mapper to play, since xi was made with Dinput in mind.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:53 am 

Actually PS3 or PS2 knock-offs. Back in Retail I had a USB adaptor that would take PS2, Gamecube, and such and put them on USB. One of my prized finds from ebay. Still works with an old Pelican PS2 knockoff, but the d-pad is getting a bit flakey.

The Sony PS4 controller "works" (Win10, 64-bit), but after playing for a while the X, O, [] buttons start to lag out really bad... so dusted off some old PS3 knock-offs.

Go into your Devices and Printers section of Control panel and make sure Windows is properly detecting the controller--right click it to check settings/properties and you will get a test panel where you can verify the buttons are working and calibrate the analogs and such. Once that is confirmed, it may be a matter of making sure Xinput is enabled (or disabled). Some controllers have togglable DirectInput and Xinput modes as well that you may want to look into.

My PS3 clone controllers need the Xinput option enabled to work, but they don't suffer the lag problem of the DS4. Forget if the PS2 one through the USB adapter needed Xinput enabled or not. The wired Snakebyte PS3 clone ($15 from Walmart) works pretty good... but it is REALLY noisy, and the cable is pretty thin. Pretty easy to mess it up if not careful... something like 24 or 26 gauge wires inside--thin enough to literally cut with your fingernails. Mine got a bad kink in it and just had to toss it this week (but, it was a couple years old, so no big loss).

The new PDP Afterglow wireless PS3/PC clone I got works pretty good (about $20, again at Walmart). There is one annoying thing about it though... the L2/R2 triggers slope outwards at the bottom and are REALLY sensitive. Just have to barely touch them for them to register, so easy to activate them by accident. Can be quite annoying if you use them for macros. Otherwise, it is a bit compact like the PS3, and the controls feel smoother than the Snakebyte... not quite as good a feel as the PS4 though. Hitting the Alternate E setup button nearly configured every button just right for how I was using the previous ones. Think I swapped the healing and screenshot buttons and left the rest alone?

If I can ever figure out why the DS4 starts to lag out on my laptop, I'd prefer to use that. Always have that little awkward adjusting phase when I switch between the console and PC. But playing as a mage, I can't deal with the lag trying to fire off spells.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:44 pm 

Ok, i have a very particular problem with my controller, it works properly in the options when i use the test gamepad option but when i am in game, both left stick and d-pad does nothing, kinda suck since it's the most needed.
Any suggestions for that?