Keyboard 24%  24%  [ 10 ]
PS4 Controller 24%  24%  [ 10 ]
Xbox 360 Controller 27%  27%  [ 11 ]
Other 24%  24%  [ 10 ]
Total votes: 41
 Post subject: Gamepad Controller?
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:11 am 

Hello,

I tried to no avail to get my Xbox 360 and then PS4 controllers working in tandem with FFXI for about 30 minutes before giving up. A friend of mine, new to the server (newer than I, I just began about 48 hours ago) booted it up with a controller in first time and immediately was able to get to playing (or so he claims).

Is it possible to use a controller on this server? I know support was added in 2015 on the main servers, but obviously we don't have that config option. Can someone give me a somewhat in-depth guide to getting my controller working so I can play the game in a more fun way?

Post subject: Re: Gamepad Controller?
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:22 am 

Windows 10 64 bit
I have DS4 installed (after I tried it without). I should note that program only makes it run like an Xbox 360 controller, which also wasn't working. Tips welcome!

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:46 am 

We do have that same config option. Simply launch the nasomi config on your desktop (as admin) and select gamepad config.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:34 pm 

You, my friend, are a gentleman and a scholar. Already helped on 2 of my posts that come from my own noobishness.

Thanks!

Hoping to bring a few players to the server and this will help (I had 2 people who refused to play unless they could figure out how to use controllers). Have a great day and a spectacular weekend!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:59 pm 

I actually use an old ass PS2 controller with a USB adapter on it. Took a little tinkering to get it to work right, but it was easier than trying with PS3 or PS4 controllers. I find it hilarious that I'm now playing on the same style of controller as when i started 15 years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:11 am 

The logitech F710 is a handy little guy that'll use either directX drivers or Xinput(xbox). A little switch on the back controls it. DirectX works best but a little customizing the buttons will make it work right on the Xinput too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:09 pm 

lolBST wrote:
I actually use an old ass PS2 controller with a USB adapter on it. Took a little tinkering to get it to work right, but it was easier than trying with PS3 or PS4 controllers. I find it hilarious that I'm now playing on the same style of controller as when i started 15 years ago.

Doing the same thing. In fact, I'm playing with the same PS2 controller that I used 15 years ago, lol. Only issue I have is random game crashes on alt+tab (particularly annoying when using switchmon to swap between clients). Disabling controller in config settings fixes the issue, so I am leaning more towards keyboard these days :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:45 pm 

Yikes, that sounds sucky. The problems I have are that the camera will sometimes start moving on its own, but a quick rotation or two sorts it out. I tried multiple Dualshock 2 controllers (I've got like a half dozen still) and the silver one I use was the most effective, in case that helps.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:49 pm 

Thanks lolBST. You find that various controllers wok a bit differently from one another?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:51 pm 

Ruvian wrote:
Thanks lolBST. You find that various controllers wok a bit differently from one another?

Yep, for some reason the silver was the most successful at working properly. I didn't try all of my controllers, but my suspicion is that certain models work better than others.