Lobby: Up
Online: 34
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:19 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Do you like FFXIV?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:44 pm 

Looking at the player introductions, I gather that most people here have experience with FFXIV. For those of you who have played, do you still play? What do you like and dislike about the game?

I played 1.0 for a few months and A Realm Reborn for a year and a half. Pooling together gil with ls mates to buy a house, epic boss battles, the vanity system, crafting, PVP and funny 24-player raid chats were highlights. However, what I found most unfortunate about A Realm Reborn is how quickly your work is nullified. You can never enjoy the fruits of your labor very long because your hard earned gear is quickly matched and surpassed by new, easier to obtain gear. Also, boss mechanics can be frustrating and running the same 4-man dungeons over and over for endgame currency isn't much fun imo.

I wonder what FFXIV would have been like if SE had given Tanaka more time to develop 1.0 before release.

Post subject: Re: Do you like FFXIV?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:55 pm 

It was fun in the beginning, but got stale. The cookie cutter design, the fixed roles, the lack of real open world content. Going to that from FFXI was a very hard adjustment, but over time I learned to enjoy for what it was. The PVE is probably the weakest part of the game IMO. I find gathering/crafting and any of the side activities to be much more fun, and sometimes even more in-depth.

The real thing that FFXIV is lacking is the sense of accomplishment you get from doing anything important.

I just went back last week to check Blue Mage out and it ended up being a lot of fun, but not enough fun to keep me playing past maxing it out lol.

Twitch
Siren Roll Call~!
Siren Server Community FB Group - Formerly known as sirenffxi.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:08 am 

I had a lot of fun in the beginning of ARR, haven't played since. Did endgame up to Bahamut Coil Turn 3. I enjoyed running the dungeons for currency because you could perfect your speed and there were fun glitches to abuse like running through the first part of the dungeon and blocking out all the mobs that followed you when you started the first boss. Enraging the ADS in turn 3 then going all out as a healer was really fun. I also enjoyed the turn 1 dual snake fight a lot. To me the whole game was like a team speedrunning event. Eventually crystal tower came out and it was worse gear than Bahamut's Coil? The daylies came out too and it was like a job to complete them. Despite my great guild and the fun challenges of playing a newly launched MMO, the thrill eventually wore off. Lots of good memories though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:57 am 

Plenty of good points have been made. There's a reason there's more than one game, though. Different people like different things. For people that want a sequal to 2005 ffxi will not find it in ARR. Gameplay is entirely different and catering to a whole different audience. Problem is, where does that leave the players that enjoyed the party aspect of ffxi? I don't understand the constant monthly updates of even current ffxi making one piece after another obsolete. It's because they changed the pace of the game. And for some people that's fine. However, it isn't for me, and I'd guess a lot of other people that are also here. It's not about loyalty, or disloyalty. It's about what kind of game you want to play. And what Nasomi has made possible is the kind of game I like to play, and I stopped playing retail and xiv because it was no longer the game i wanted to play.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:51 am 

Played XIV since the start of ARR and raided HC since Final Coil. Pretty much all I did in that game, prog and then speedruns afterwards. Used to really enjoy that aspect but now speedruns are solely about who can generate the most LB throughout the fight which really sucks the fun out fast. Prog on all the fights was really enjoyable, sans Midas because of reasons. Mostly enjoyed playing with the few people in my static that I've played with since going HC. Probably won't play anymore, especially not with a different group, the part of the game I enjoyed is just not fun now and no interest in the rest.