Online: 60
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Valaena's Fishing Guide
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:57 pm 

**About me**
My in-game fishing character is named Valaena, I am level 100 fishing and I chose to do all of my own research while skilling up. I was able to skill up my fishing all the way from 1-96 within 3 weeks of hard grinding. I looked up every fish in the game, comparing its value to vendors, crafters, and the auction house. I checked every area you can catch them and compared catchable bait/lures with every other fish in those areas in order to isolate the most worthwhile fish for best money and skill up rates. I find myself giving advice to frustrated fisherman in-game everyday and so I decided to make my own guide for reference. Just FYI if you try to contact me in-game about this guide I may not reply, please leave any questions or comments here on the forums. However, if a lure or bait that my guide requires is unavailable on the auction house contact Valaena and I will try to help when I can. If you know a spot for faster skill ups than the ones I've listed here, leave a reply and I'll check it out and add it to the guide if its worthwhile.

**Notes About Fishing**
Fishing is a skill that requires more time investment but less gil investment than other crafts.
Fishing does not count towards your crafting level caps. Meaning you can level fishing and another craft to 100.
The command & macro for fishing is /fish
If you end fishing before depleting the fish's stamina bar you will lose your lure or piece of bait.
If you fail to reel in the fish within the time limit, a bug will lock out your char. You must D/C yourself to fix. You can do this by ctrl + alt + delete or tab out and close the launcher window.
-However, monsters are an exception to this, you can let them time-out without getting bugged or losing lure/bait.
-You can tell if a monster, item, or a fish is hooked by reading the messages in your log.
"Something caught the hook!" means a small fish is hooked.
"Something caught the hook!!!" means a large fish is hooked.
"You feel something pulling at your line." means an item is hooked.
"Something clamps onto your line ferociously!" means a monster is hooked and will attack you if you reel it in.
Nasomi has implemented anti-botting measures so you must move your character every 20 minutes or so of fishing otherwise your catch rates will rapidly deplete.
-Otherwise there is no limit to how many fish you can catch in a day on Nasomi.

**Notes About the Guide**
You will notice I use 2 different rods, a composite rod for large fish, and a halcyon rod for small fish. However, only a composite rod is required to complete this guide up to level 96. Feel free to use it in place of the halcyon, but if you do have a halcyon I recommend using it where applicable.

Because the nature of the guide is to isolate targeted fish, a variety of lures and bait is required including:
-Sabiki Rig
-Insect Paste
-Fly Lure
-Frog Lure
-Worm Lure
-Shrimp Lure
-Meatball (optional)
-Rogue Rig (eventually)

Please note this guide is intended for the quickest path to 76+ fishing while making decent income. It is not intended for those looking for shortcuts to Qufim Island or Sauromugue Champaign, or people who want to catch mythril swords before level 76. Swords are a small portion of a 76+ fisherman's income, and chasing them will only delay your arrival. I recommend getting to this level range ASAP.

**The Guide**
0-6 Selbina
Setup: Halcyon/Composite + Sabiki Rig
Target: Cobalt Jellyfish + Bastore Sardines
-The rig allows you to catch 2 fish at a time increasing skill up rates. You'll catch Jellyfish and Sardines. The Jellyfish are a high demand crafting item, so sell stacks on the auction house or use for alchemy. The first 5 levels are especially slow, but the rig should make it easier. You might catch some Quus as well.

6-11 West Ronfaure (Knightwell Lake)
Setup: Halcyon/Composite + Insect Ball
Target: Moat Carp
-Moat Carp have an excellent bite rate here with insect paste. Make sure to keep 1 for your level 8-10 guild test.

11-16 Bastok Mines (sewer)
Setup: Halcyon/Composite + Fly Lure
Target: Copper Frog
-This setup isolates Copper Frogs. The bite rate isn't as good as carp but you won't be wasting time catching unwanted fish or monsters. Copper Frogs also have some crafting value, not a lot, but worth checking the auction house.

11-17 Mhaura
Setup: Halcyon/Composite + Sabiki Rig | Worm Lure | Crayfish Balls
Target: Yellow Globes
-Yellow Globes are mostly worthless, but this spot may be faster skill ups than frogs. Worm Lure and Crayfish Balls will isolate them, while Sabiki Rig will catch both Yellow Globes and Bastore Sardines which are too low to skill up on at this point. However, still worth using the rig if you have one. Put stacks of Yellow Globes up on the auction house or use them to level Alchemy (12) by making Poison Dust.

16-20 East Ronfaure
Setup: Composite + Fly Lure
Target: Cheval Salmon + Shining Trout
-Cheval Salmon is your next guild test item so keep 1. Shining Trout is catchable starting at level 17.

20-27 Bastok Markets
Setup: Composite + Frog Lure
Target: Giant Catfish + Dark Bass
-I notice a lot of people target Giant Catfish in Port San d'Oria, I don't recommend it. In Bastok Markets with Frog Lure you can isolate 2 fish that both give skill ups. I recommend fishing near the music shop or another vendor so you can off-load the large fish quickly, but don't forget to keep 1 Giant Catfish for your level 28-30 guild test.

27-36 Zeruhn Mines (on the bridge past the gate to Korroloka Tunnel)
Setup: Composite + Worm Lure
Target: Black Eels
-This is where fishing starts getting good. Starting at level 27 you can isolate Black Eels in Zeruhn Mines with a Worm Lure. Sell them to vendor for 2,400~gil/stack instant cash.

36-56 Windurst Woods
Setup: Halcyon/Composite + Shrimp Lure
Target: Gold Carp
-Same deal. Isolate a valuable vendor fish for best skill ups and money. No monsters, and you fish up silver rings which you can auction or desynth into silver ingots. Like most carp they have a good bite rate despite being isolated. Vendor them for 3,600~gil/stack. Eventually you will need to go catch or buy a Gugru Tuna for your level 38-40 guild test and a Monke-Onke for 48-50 test. Just buy them from AH if possible since you're already near fishing guild and keep going. If that's not an option your Composite Rod + Shrimp Lure will catch them both - Gugru Tuna on the Selbina-Mhaura boat, and Monke-Onke in Yuhtunga Jungle or E.Saruta.

56-66 Yuhtunga Jungle
Setup: Composite + Fly Lure
Target: Crescent Fish + Elshimo Newt
-DO NOT go to E.Saruta for Crescent Fish, the bite rate is terrible there during daylight hours for some reason and monster bite rates are extremely high. I recommend OP warp to Yuhtunga Jungle, drop down the nearest hole on the left (towards Norg) and there is a couple safe fishing holes in the tunnel. Or you can take the more scenic route and fish by the waterfall at the lake. You will catch Crescent Fish, Elshimo Frogs, and Elshimo Newts. Frogs won't give skill ups but Newts will until level 60. Monster rates are very low here. I usually came back about 50/50 on Crescents and Frogs. This level range is a pain but this is the best spot I found for it. Vendor your Crescents for 4,800~gil/stack. A Bhefhel marlin is required for level 58-60 guild test, if you can't buy one you can catch it on the Selbina ferry with Composite + Slice of Bluetail.

60-66 Selbina-Mhaura Ferry | Sauromugue Champaign | Batallia Downs
Setup: Composite + Meatball
Target: Silver Shark
-Alternative to Crescent fish. Can start this as early as 56, but I recommend it after Newts stop giving skill ups @60+

60-66 Lufaise Meadows
Setup: Halcyon/Composite + Minnow
Target: Tavnazian Goby
-Another alternative for this level range. You need to have completed all 3 Promies Dem/Holla/Mea to access this area. You'll catch Dark Bass in addition to Goby, but you should hook twice as many Goby.

66-76 Port Windurst
Setup: Composite + Shrimp Lure
Target: Bastore Bream
-You'll only catch Breams and some junk. Bite rate isn't the best, but 7,000+gil/stack to vendor more than makes up for it. Keep grinding you're almost there! The 68-70 guild test item is a Bladefish, which can be caught in East or West Saruta with Meatball, Slice of Bluetail, or a Rogue Rig. Alternatively, you can try the same setup in Port Bastok if you find the bite rate lacking in Windurst, they do seem to bite more but you'll catch some jellys on the side as well.

76-96 Qufim Island
Setup: Composite + Rogue Rig
Target: Gigant Squid + Black Sole
-You made it! I recommend Gobbie Bags up to 60 slots for this as you'll catch a lot of large fish that don't stack. Keep everything you catch and vendor it. You can expect to make between 40k-80k per trip (hour~). If you have the ability to craft/desynth any of it, or have the patience to auction the large fish you'll make even more. You'll also catch both fish you need for the level 78-80 guild test (Three-Eyed Fish) and the 88-90 guild test (Gigant Squid).

96-100 Silver Sea Route to Nashmau
Setup: Ebisu + Shrimp Lure
Target: Mola Mola + Kalkanbaligi
-Need to unlock the Ebisu Fishing Rod for these giant fish. To get the Ebisu only requires that you get the 95k guild point key item, the quest chain in Rabao auto-completes itself. This part is completely optional, neither the Ebisu Rod nor level 100 is required for end-game fishing in Qufim Island or Sauromugue Champaign.

Last edited by Insidious on Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:10 pm 

I've been following your guide and I'm currently @28 skill (24+4) and getting lost your catch due to lack of skill messages in Zeruhn Mines going for Black Eels. Is that expected?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:33 pm 

malatin3 wrote:
I've been following your guide and I'm currently @28 skill (24+4) and getting lost your catch due to lack of skill messages in Zeruhn Mines going for Black Eels. Is that expected?

Fishing gear doesn't work here unless patched recently, that's probably why you're getting lack of skill messages.

I need my privacy, I need some signs please,
You're all too loud you don't speak quietly, opinions violently.
Deft/Drop

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:18 am 

Oh, wow. That would explain it. Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:13 am 

How big of a skill gap can you have when catching fish? Because this guide doesnt even mention some of the best bite rate fish with the highest npc values.

Why do you say to not do giant catfish in port sandy? The bite rate is as good as moat carp and they npc for 100ish gil each, isolated with sinking lure. You also dont mention bluetail (55) which can be isolated in buburimu for amazing catch rate plus 300gil per npc. Nor giant donko which also have a good bite rate in rabao and npc for 200per.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:56 am 

You can reliably catch fish 20 levels over your skill. I would say Bastok Martkets for dark bass and giant catfish would give you skillups faster than Port Sandy since both fish in bastok give skillups and it has a much better bite rate than isolated giant catfish in port sandy. I tried Port Sandy first and the bite rate made me go look for an alternative.

That being said, i personally fished for skillups rather than for gil just to get to 76 faster. I went to rabao with a worm lure for sandfish and giant donko to go from 31-35, which got me skillups pretty fast, and then went to cone calamary (48 cap, 165g/ea) and bluetails (55 cap, 300g/ea) in sauro till 55 which also went fast.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:48 pm 

What is the npc price for Elshimo Newt on here? Wondering if its worth it to go back to town to npc them, or discard them and just keep on truckin (dont have outpost warp, so its 3k to tp-yhoat+choco + time)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:17 am 

Does anyone know what fishing skill level you need to be to achieve in order to be eligible to obtain the ebisu rod using guild points?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:43 am 

Took a little break from the game so I apologize for the late replies.

Quote:
Why do you say to not do giant catfish in port sandy? The bite rate is as good as moat carp and they npc for 100ish gil each, isolated with sinking lure.

Someone already mentioned it but isolating 2 skill up fish at a time will always net you quicker gains than a single fish. The more fish that bite the lure you're using the less chance you have of catching nothing, which means faster skill ups. Also, the next step (black eels) is close nearby.

Quote:
You also dont mention bluetail (55) which can be isolated in buburimu for amazing catch rate plus 300gil per npc.

You can also isolate them with a minnow in Qufim Island as well, but I don't mention them because Gold Carp are the same deal, 10gil less per fish but you're in town which means 0% chance of catching monsters, which means faster skill ups, plus you're already near vendors. And did I mention silver rings?

Quote:
Nor giant donko which also have a good bite rate in rabao and npc for 200per.

Why would anyone choose these over Gold Carp? Inconvenient location for a lot of people leveling fishing, less money than Gold Carp, and they don't stack. Did I mention silver rings? I'm sure I did..

Quote:
Does anyone know what fishing skill level you need to be to achieve in order to be eligible to obtain the ebisu rod using guild points?

You need to be around level 80~ fishing in order to obtain the Serpent Rumors key item to start the Ebisu quest. But you can start doing guild point turn-ins and saving up GP around 30~ fishing. IIRC the key item costs 90,000 GP. And the quest chain auto-completes itself in Rabao.

Last edited by Insidious on Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:41 pm 

Kazen wrote:
malatin3 wrote:

Fishing gear doesn't work here unless patched recently, that's probably why you're getting lack of skill messages.

I used to accept that fishing gear simply didn't work, but have since come around to the probability that fishing gear *may* work, based on how Nasomi implemented crafting. I explain it in my guide, Ser minimusdecimus of nasomi fishing guide, and how to test it for yourself.