Lobby: Up
Online: 37
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:22 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:27 pm 

Ryamatsu wrote:
Where's the best place to fish (for vendor profit, not AH) when your fishing skill is 96+?

You can do Black Sole's in Qufim Island(South Cliffs) 700/each to NPC, and also you will catch Mythil Swords 4.1k to NPC. I have been averaging 1 sword to 1 stack of fish.

Black Sole's best spot for catching would be Port Jeuno, but more then one fish will bite on the Sinking Minnow you will be using for the Black Soles.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:01 pm 

This looks like a fantastic guide, but is fishing worth it for an already established character? How much is fishing making per hour at 100 nowadays? This seems like a tough time investment to swallow compared to just mining or farming. Do people mostly focus on fishing or fish on an alt while actively doing something on a main? Seems like it's active enough that doing it on an alt might prove difficult.

BST75 BRD46 RNG12 SAM71
NIN37 DRG60 SMN70 BLU15
DRK0 PUP0

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:50 pm 

Guedj wrote:
This looks like a fantastic guide, but is fishing worth it for an already established character? How much is fishing making per hour at 100 nowadays? This seems like a tough time investment to swallow compared to just mining or farming. Do people mostly focus on fishing or fish on an alt while actively doing something on a main? Seems like it's active enough that doing it on an alt might prove difficult.

I would say probably not unless you have lots of idle time - its nice to do while watching Netflix, or slacking off at work, for example.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:26 am 

Awesome name sir

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:28 pm 

This is a great guide! I just hit lvl 4 fishing...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:03 pm 

I appreciate you, and many other guides, not mentioning where the real money fish are, especially in the lower-mid levels of fishing, so the AH doesn't get clogged. :D

Will be nice to share what those are later though, so people will stop wasting their time vendor fishing and can saturate the market with fish used for crafting, lowering the price of those fish, subsequently lowering the price of the products/consumables those fish are used to make.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:34 pm 

There are other options for sure, but it's often hard to beat sole for the whole 'easy consistent money with zero competition/market shenanigans'. Fish that AH well today might fall away later as the group of crafters currently powering through levels with them end up moving on to other synths, etc. Certain fish that you pull up during the path to 100 AH pretty well (just look at http://www.great-blue.jp/?lng=en and start checking the AH for the fish you can effectively target in low-risk areas, you'll see a few) but once you're lv76 there are few if any that consistently (and rapidly) sell for more than what you get for vendoring a stack of sole plus the occasional sword. There was a bunch of awesome fishing-related content added during the WotG era, but I wouldn't expect to ever see that stuff here.

Not to sound too discouraging - fishing sole is still decent money (with almost zero effort, very little running around, zero competition and zero waiting for the AH, unless you wanna earn a bit more per stack and sell 'em there for all the Sole Sushi crafters), and there's still decent money to be made outside of that if you have the willingness to gamble a bit :) Now, excuse me while I go mine some fish and see if I get lucky!

edit/P.S.: thanks a ton Minimus for putting this together and being awesome - I've referred many folks in WindurstWins to your guide to help them get going! The only thing I might add is a snippet at the end for anyone that wants to push to 100 without worrying about a Lu/Ebisu: It's nowhere near windurst, but go take your handy Composite rod and a few stacks of meatballs and head to Oldton Movalpolis. There's some water down there that you can consistently (albeit sloooooowly) fish up Armored Pisces in. They cap at over 100, but don't seem to ever break a composite rod. You can NPC them for just under 1k each, but they don't stack, so odds are that sadly you'll probably just end up having to toss most of them if you're powering yourself up to 100. Getting to the cap without having a lu/ebisu doesn't really get you anything (since many of the legendaries typically require a lu/ebisu to even bite), but that nice round number sure looks cool :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:01 pm 

Armaddon wrote:
There are other options for sure, but it's often hard to beat sole for the whole 'easy consistent money with zero competition/market shenanigans'. Fish that AH well today might fall away later as the group of crafters currently powering through levels with them end up moving on to other synths, etc. Certain fish that you pull up during the path to 100 AH pretty well (just look at http://www.great-blue.jp/?lng=en and start checking the AH for the fish you can effectively target in low-risk areas, you'll see a few) but once you're lv76 there are few if any that consistently (and rapidly) sell for more than what you get for vendoring a stack of sole plus the occasional sword. There was a bunch of awesome fishing-related content added during the WotG era, but I wouldn't expect to ever see that stuff here.

Not to sound too discouraging - fishing sole is still decent money (with almost zero effort, very little running around, zero competition and zero waiting for the AH, unless you wanna earn a bit more per stack and sell 'em there for all the Sole Sushi crafters), and there's still decent money to be made outside of that if you have the willingness to gamble a bit :) Now, excuse me while I go mine some fish and see if I get lucky!

edit/P.S.: thanks a ton Minimus for putting this together and being awesome - I've referred many folks in WindurstWins to your guide to help them get going! The only thing I might add is a snippet at the end for anyone that wants to push to 100 without worrying about a Lu/Ebisu: It's nowhere near windurst, but go take your handy Composite rod and a few stacks of meatballs and head to Oldton Movalpolis. There's some water down there that you can consistently (albeit sloooooowly) fish up Armored Pisces in. They cap at over 100, but don't seem to ever break a composite rod. You can NPC them for just under 1k each, but they don't stack, so odds are that sadly you'll probably just end up having to toss most of them if you're powering yourself up to 100. Getting to the cap without having a lu/ebisu doesn't really get you anything (since many of the legendaries typically require a lu/ebisu to even bite), but that nice round number sure looks cool :)

Firstly, yes, thank you very much Minimusdecimus for this guide, I especially appreciate the guide to fishing in general with timer information, tips on not losing lures, and rod/bait usage. Most guides just break down the leveling, but you provided a true guide to fishing and everything it encompasses.

@Armaddon I agree once you hit 76 it's hard to beat sole/swords especially if your fishermen is just a semi-afk dualbox you alt tab to a couple times a minute. I mostly meant between lvl13-76 which is the bulk of the journey for most. I personally prefer to sell a fish for 675 each even if it takes a 1-2 days, rather than NPCing all my fish for 100 each. I understand that new players need that quick injection early on, but I don't think NPC fishing should be the solution to that for any longer than a few days. There are so many quests that can provide that initial injection, i.e. Teleport and Ninjutsu quests, among others that simply require some walking. Teleport quests only require lvl10 even! That's 500k if you sell everything, 1 mil if you dualbox it. I don't want to get into a discussion about asset growth and management, but I initially thought that NPC fishing was so popular because a private server may lack demand in the AH, but I quickly found out that's not the case since there are some items missing that inflate demand for certain items: i.e. silent oils with the exclusion of Monomi on this server.

These guides are definitely amazing to get people started, and I'm not trying to be negative in any way, I'm just appreciating there not being unnecessarily too much information. I think for every craft or activity, there should be some exploration left to be done by the player himself. great-blue.jp is a wonderful source.

Especially with this huge influx of players exponentially increasing the population size, I'm sure a lot of these players may have never played FFXI before, or if they did, it could have been easily 10-14 years ago and they don't remember anything hahaha Such as was my case when I started a month ago and read every forum post and dozens of Wiki pages on WikiNas and ffxiclopedia.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:54 pm 

Great guide here for any starting fisherman. I did not follow it from start to finish, but I'm sure one could and be just fine. Major props on the Sauromugue from 35 to 55(you can actually leave at 49 to crescent fish for better skill ups, stay there until 55 for more gil). the other vendor fishing guides calls for Bubu Peninsula, and I must say that I was not a fan of that place at all.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:09 pm 

Armaddon wrote:

ugh... I had added a snippet at the end for anyone that wants to push 100 without worrying about Lu/Ebisu... The whole section about capping skill on Ryugu Titans is to cap 100. It's been there since the second edit of the guide. I put that section together so one could cap skills, make gil and camp items/mobs for Ebisu if they wanted.