Lobby: Up
Online: 60
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: NasWiki alternatives
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:57 pm 

Seeing as how the NasWiki has gone months without being accessible for myself and many other users, it’s safe to assume that the Wiki is not very high on Nas’ priorities list.

Is it against the rules to create an alternative wiki? Does an alternative already exist? I realize he can’t enforce if someone makes a database of current and future information for players to benefit from, but I’d prefer to not step on any toes.

Post subject: Re: NasWiki alternatives
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:08 pm 

it shouldn't be a problem i guess.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:42 am 

Zadok wrote:
I'd prefer to not step on any toes.

Stomp em, til they get their asses in gear.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:59 pm 

I put some time into WikiNas as a hobby while fishing in-game and I had kinda hoped Nas would get around to fix its logging process before an entire year passed, but at this point we might as well start a new one and call WikiNas deceased.

A few points for your consideration, if you want to start a new Wiki:

• The main reason NasWiki turned into that disaster is that some twat created bots to flood the Wiki with fake articles. Since anyone could create a wiki account without any serious verification, and those accounts weren't tied to Nasomi forum accounts, it spiraled out of control quickly. I'm guessing either Nasomi broke the login on purpose as a stopgap or the bots managed to do it themselves. Anyway authentication is important and the Wiki's owner will have to take responsability for it, otherwise it's all gonna get fucked up at some point again, whether from advertisement or haters.
  • It was hard to format an article on NasWiki so that it wouldn't look like ass on a mobile. I think a new Wiki platform should allow minimal CSS, something like flexbox or any form of support for responsive pages, really.

As an aside, I miss Nabutso because he helped keep WikiNas organized and called out fuckbois who edited stuff out to keep secrets. No matter what happened when his relation with Nasomi ended, I appreciated his efforts at keeping that place clean.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:38 pm 

Piellar wrote:
I put some time into WikiNas as a hobby while fishing in-game and I had kinda hoped Nas would get around to fix its logging process before an entire year passed, but at this point we might as well start a new one and call WikiNas deceased.

A few points for your consideration, if you want to start a new Wiki:

• The main reason NasWiki turned into that disaster is that some twat created bots to flood the Wiki with fake articles. Since anyone could create a wiki account without any serious verification, and those accounts weren't tied to Nasomi forum accounts, it spiraled out of control quickly. I'm guessing either Nasomi broke the login on purpose as a stopgap or the bots managed to do it themselves. Anyway authentication is important and the Wiki's owner will have to take responsability for it, otherwise it's all gonna get fucked up at some point again, whether from advertisement or haters.
  • It was hard to format an article on NasWiki so that it wouldn't look like ass on a mobile. I think a new Wiki platform should allow minimal CSS, something like flexbox or any form of support for responsive pages, really.

As an aside, I miss Nabutso because he helped keep WikiNas organized and called out fuckbois who edited stuff out to keep secrets. No matter what happened when his relation with Nasomi ended, I appreciated his efforts at keeping that place clean.

That sucks, I sure hope something could be done the retain the NASwiki and have it updated either via article submissions or a private party to add the articles (somewat like a FFXI blog). It's a private server so I understand content from retail won't carry over well from FFXI-clopedia to NAS.

I would pray that faithful players who like editing and writing take up the mantle as I'm sometimes lost in-game or I have to refer to "ffxiclopedia.fandom.com/wiki" (so far so good, it's been helping me out) tho NOT all info is accurate to NAS, so expect the worse

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:57 am 

I would recommend just creating a new one on Fandom like I've done for Era and folks have done for Eden. There's ads and other lame things, but it should be mobile friendly and take essentially care of the spammers for you. You can copy the existing sources/templates over and it should work fine. I know I don't mind you using anything I did in the past there.

Once it gets larger/more useful than what exists, I'd bet Nas would change the link in the navbar.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:15 pm 

Like Chakan suggested using Fandom. I'd be willing to help out with transferring information and developing a wiki for players. It would help the community a lot and help us grow even bigger.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:36 pm 

sounds great

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:02 pm 

Check my 2nd post.

Main Role: Heal > Nuke it baby, one more time!

Last edited by Bercus on Tue May 05, 2020 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:36 pm 

https://nwiki.fandom.com/wiki/Nwiki_Wiki

Will be pretty later, need 1-2 Admins and some moderators to copy shit from old to new Wikipedia.

User rights excisting can be seen here:
https://community.fandom.com/wiki/Help:User_rights

Main Role: Heal > Nuke it baby, one more time!