Lobby: Up
Online: 31
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Job-Specific pages
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:49 pm 

Let's move discussion of the job specific pages here (thanks for all the work Chakan).

I recently filled out the WHM page (mostly) and had a few suggestions/points of discussion (http://nasomi.com/wiki/index.php?title=White_Mage):

1. Let's remove everything that's out of era. Entirely. The point of the naswiki is a full replacement of the modern FFXI wiki, not supplemental. Stuff from out of this era shouldn't be included at all, even to say that they don't exist here. Reasoning: Out of sight, out of mind. If the naswiki is meant to be a full replacement, there is no reason for people to even know about spells or abilities etc that were added later in retail. People are dumb. I know this better than most. Telling them explicitly that something with a strikethrough or asterisk doesn't exist here won't help one bit. They'll see it, not read the fine print, and assume it either exists here, or is planned to. Instead, let's add only the things that are planned to exist and then have notes to say that they don't work yet. If we don't do it that way, then we'd have to constantly update our wiki to reflect the additions to retail! No thanks.

2. Spells: let's use 2 columns. One for spells 37 and below, and the other for spells 38 and above. This will help quickly differentiate what is learned by having it as a sub at 75. You can argue the same for Job Abilities or Traits but there are so few of those in comparison to spells that I don't think it'll be an issue. 4 columns would work too.

Post subject: Re: Job-Specific pages
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:42 pm 

The problem I have with 1) is that there is a mix of stuff from and out of era here, including ToAU era stuff and beyond. For example, the items I striked through on the Warrior page all have a Wikia history back into 2005-2006. Yet, due to certain BCNMs/ENMs not working, either the item in question or the mats aren't available, and they don't appear to be present currently.

The reason I included them is to allow people to search for them and see confirmation it's not here. It's not just for the d.u.m.b. people.

Last edited by Chakan on Sat May 26, 2018 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:54 pm 

You can note that an item doesn't exist yet but is planned to. Things that do or don't exist, but aren't planned to, shouldn't though.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:26 pm 

With time, I hope to (or someone else can jump in and) add pages for the BCs, etc. Allowing for an explanation of why it's not currently available.