Lobby: Up
Online: 40
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: White Mage 101?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:49 pm 

Alright, so I've avoided Dunes for as long as humanly possible and then some, thought it was about time I get serious about it.

I've never played white mage in retail. Hell, I've never played a support in ANY online game. I'm currently a level 17 Elvaan WHM/BLM, and I don't wanna jump into a party like a total brainlet. What are some basic things to know as a beginner White Mage? Essential spells? Maybe go over what would be expected of you in the more popular leveling locations, or what's an effective way of skilling up your magic levels?

Most of the guides out there are for like ultra hardcore endgame level 250 seekers of aldouin tier WHMs, where all spells have like a 2 second cast time and like 10% the mana cost. I've also looked up a few pre-2008 guides and they're decent enough, but not nearly as comprehensive as some of the more modern guides.

Post subject: Re: White Mage 101?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:08 pm 

Cures, curagas, raises, reraises, na'spells, bar'ra'spells, stoneskin, blink, possibly aquaveil, erase, haste, flash, and banish if u ever fight ghost or skeles. /rdm for fast cast and a few enfeebs. /blm to warp yourself, a few enfeebs and elemental seal to land them. /smn for auto refresh and mp boost, possibly some avatar ward pacts. /nin if you're ever needed to stand in range of massive aoe spam. Wizard cookies for resting mp, hMP gearset for resting mp, +mnd / healing skill / cure potency set for heals. +mnd for when u need to land slow or get a stronger stoneskin. +Int and enfeebling set for when u need to land para or blind. Don't use cure II unless it's an emergency until u get cure III, then don't use cure III unless it's an emergency until u get cure IV, don't use cure IV unless you trust your tanks, cure V gets 0 emnity, follow the same principal with curagas, curaga IV will kill you the same as benediction will. Flash can help u save a tank or help someone get shadows up, dont be too afraid to cast it like you would a stun. Don't let anyone tell you to not play how you want, as long as you can balance managing ur aggro while keeping the team alive, you're doing your job.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:41 pm 

The_Carrot wrote:
+Int and enfeebling set for when u need to land para or blind.

cure V gets 0 emnity,

These are wrong.

Paralyze is a MND based spell and as a WHM you will NEVER be casting Blind.

Cure V used to give 0 enmity if you were not on the hate list at the time of casting. AFAIK this has been changed.

Otherwise most of what Carrot said is true.

I need my privacy, I need some signs please,
You're all too loud you don't speak quietly, opinions violently.
Deft/Drop

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:55 pm 

My bad kazen is correct para = mnd /blush

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:08 pm 

The_Carrot wrote:

No worries bby, ez mistake to make.

Deft/Drop

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:11 am 

The_Carrot wrote:

Oh okay! So cleaning that up a bit just for my dyslexia:

Code:
Cures, curagas, raises, reraises, na'spells, bar'ra'spells, stoneskin, blink, possibly aquaveil, erase, haste, flash, and banish if u ever fight ghost or skeles. 

RDM sub for fast cast (level 30+) and a few enfeebs.

BLM sub for warp yourself, a few enfeebs, and elemental seal to land them.

SMN sub for auto refresh and mp boost, possibly some avatar ward pacts.

NIN sub if you're ever needed to stand in range of massive aoe spam.

Wizard cookies and hMP gear set for resting mp (I had no idea the term hMP was a thing)

+mnd / healing skill / cure potency set for heals.

+mnd for when u need to land slow, paralyze, or get a stronger stoneskin.

Don't use cure II unless it's an emergency until you get cure III, then don't use cure III unless it's an emergency until you get cure IV, and don't use cure IV unless you trust your tanks. Follow the same principal with curagas,

curaga IV will kill you the same as benediction will.

Flash can help you save a tank or help someone get shadows up, don't be too afraid to cast it like you would a stun.

Don't let anyone tell you to not play how you want, as long as you can balance managing your aggro while keeping the team alive, you're doing your job.

This is actually pretty dang helpful, thank you!

I guess some other questions I have might be:
What level does gear swapping become necessary?
What are the best ways to skillup for whm?
What distance should I keep away from my party to avoid AOE, like the absolute maximum range?
Are there any sort of highly recommended client addons I should use?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:25 am 

Sorcedude wrote:
What level does gear swapping become necessary?

Around level 40-50 for WHM.

Quote:
What are the best ways to skillup for whm?

Cast your spells. Dia every mob, Barspells when needed, etc. If you are interested in keeping melee skills capped, go find EP mobs to you while solo and whack away. Shouldn't have problems soloing them if you buff accordingly.

Quote:
What distance should I keep away from my party to avoid AOE, like the absolute maximum range?

15.0 from monsters will put you out of range of most AoE/conal attacks.

Quote:
Are there any sort of highly recommended client addons I should use?

Only the ones permitted by Nasomi.

Deft/Drop

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:05 am 

Being able to watch the chat log and recognize what TP moves inflict which status ailments for immediate removal is a good habit to practice.
If you're the only mage in the party, Dia every mob, the shorter time a mob is alive can be the best form of damage reduction. I personally like Dia > Slow > Paralyze to open off each fight..
Each regen is pretty useful, especially strong at the levels you unlock them. hMP set will be incredibly crucial especially end game where you don't have Convert to compete with RDMs.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:45 am 

Sorcedude wrote:
What are some basic things to know as a beginner White Mage?

the meta on nasomi is much different from in-era retail meta. back then there were all sorts of tests done on stat weight efficiency, maximum hMP efficiency, etc., that are not entirely accurate as far as my recollection goes

as someone who only played and did all content as WHM on retail up to abyssea? play RDM instead your first time. i am sorry. i don't like this answer either. but people do not care about your hMP. people do not want to wait on you. people want to kill, kill fast, gain exp, maximize damage, and worry about healing as little as possible. downtime should not exist here according to what i have seen. you will always see people who leveled WHM fine, but you will also hear about people who had trouble leveling WHM at all. i am speaking from my own experiences as someone who played RDM twice on here and hasn't taken WHM to cap yet.

that being said, if you insist on maining WHM and only WHM, you are fighting an uphill battle that is not impossible to win. you only need to stack as much hMP gear as possible and also get a light and dark staff, so you do have that. my experience on nasomi and retail has me still believing that in exp situations your enfeebles are largely useless and a waste of MP outside of Dia and Dia II due to how high kill speed is once people get their key items like okote, pca, hauby and so on. that being said, you also have crap enfeebling skill that sucks and no repose on here either so just cure, regen, and diabot like god intended.

oh, you also have the regen family. goddamn they are good. they are not cast and forget but holy shit the HP to MP return is ludicrous throughout. that being said my EXP uh, experience, has mostly been focused on on-demand heals on here and as little downtime as possible.

Sorcedude wrote:
Essential spells?

does it heal people? does it remove an effect? does it prevent damage? get it. also get haste. curaga and curaga II are probably the only musts in that family until endgame and even then, before you even fucking hit that cga3 button on this server i hope to god you have an enmity set macroed with it holy shit the draw on here is not what i remember

if you want a systematic list, you can look at the ffxiclopedia page and be pretty safe until 75. cura, repose, esuna, auspice, and sacrifice do not work here. you can learn them but just don't because it's technically bad to do or something and they just disappear once you zone anyways.

Sorcedude wrote:
Maybe go over what would be expected of you in the more popular leveling locations, or what's an effective way of skilling up your magic levels?

you heal. your job is to heal. if you do anything else outside of that you are a detriment to your party. yes, you can DPS lacklusterly and feed the mob TP. yes, you can banish nuke and spend more time hMPing. do you have enough slots to hold a billion yagudo drinks on top of max mind, hmp and other forms of gear? no. we never did on retail. you never will on here. i am sorry. save that stuff for the blue moon KRT parties.

your skill levels? uh, healing is pretty nice. it levels up when you do your job. healing. so does enhancing magic. regen is an enhancing magic spell. the actual skill doesn't affect the spell but it is good for your barspells, which are important if you know what you're up against in primarily not-exp situations.

Sorcedude wrote:
Most of the guides out there are for like ultra hardcore endgame level 250 seekers of aldouin tier WHMs,

yeah what people do now on there is they pay for an account and then have a WHM and BRD/COR char that's literally a bot and SE will never ban them because they are too afraid of losing money from a subscriber on a dead game.

Sorcedude wrote:
I've also looked up a few pre-2008 guides and they're decent enough, but not nearly as comprehensive as some of the more modern guides.

things are different here as far as calculations go so those guides won't help too much if you're minmaxing HP per MP spent and stuff. plus, on here, at least in an exp situation, everything is more fast paced from what i've experienced, so that matters less. just play whack-a-mole and throw regens on before you hmp and you should be good.

general tips would be to use /focustarget to watch buffs and also to get used to scrolling up and down the party list with whatever your configuration is. /ma "Cure" <stpc> and /ma "Poisona" <stpc> type spell macros were my friends, and they still are here.

as always anyone can feel free to call me retarded and quote me on stuff i may reply this time though but i'm going to bed right now i am very tired

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:16 am 

Chat filters will help alot, i split my chat screen on my alt, and leave dmg numbers on screen to not clog it up, putting enemt abikty and effects on players, and attacks players evade in the 2nd screen almost exclusively so I'll know when a shadow geta dropped, or when an effect has taken place like if a mage gets too close and catches gravity from mysterious light etc