Lobby: Up
Online: 59
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:54 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:52 pm 

Elemental days matter here.

Having the best equipment only takes you so far when you cast thunder spells during a double earth storm/on earth day. Even without sorcerer's tonban and elemental obi's you'll see major increases in damage (+10~35%)* when casting spells that match the day and weather. This goes the same way for using magic that is weak to a day or weather in effect (-10~35%)*

Dark <> Light

Earth > Thunder

Thunder > Water

Water > Fire

Fire > Ice

Ice > Wind

Wind > Earth

Internalize this knowledge and you will see yourself not only doing more damage, but being a more efficient Black Mage.

Potency stats are purely from experience and not backed up by hard data*

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:40 pm 

I'm helping!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:17 pm 

Same goes for monster weaknesses. Only Altana knows how many thunders I've seen casted on Kirin...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:09 pm 

Very new at blm. So let me get this straight. For exemple it'd be good to cast Fire on Fire day. Or Water on Fire day. But not Fire on Water day.

Also I've read in another thread in this forum section that there are "weaker" nukes (at the same tier). Like stone being weaker than the other for exemple. How does it factor exactly ? Like for exemple Stone is strong during Thunder day right ? So do you want to cast it instead of a theoritically stronger nuke ?

Pretty interested in BLM and want to do it right.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:58 pm 

Cast Fire on Firesday
Cast Water on Watersday

Casting Water on Firesday won't make Water stronger, but casting Fire on Watersday will make Fire weaker

How it actually works is you get something like a 30% chance to do 10% more damage (or 10% less damage) depending on the day and element. I believe it's also a 30% chance to have 10% more (or 10% less) magic accuracy for that element.

Stone spells are learned earlier, so they cost less MP. Using an Earth element spell on Earthsday may be better than using an Ice element (higher level at equal tier) spell, even though Ice spells (at equal tier) are stronger, due to the day effects given above.

Weather also has a similar effect to day. Double weather has an increased effect. Weather and day both can effect it at the same time.

Elemental resistances on monsters typically mean resist rate, not damage amount. So if you cast a Water spell on a Crab and you think to yourself "wow, that was strong it did just as much as my Aero, I guess Water is just as good", that's because it is - when it's not resisted. But you'll resist more. You'll get your spell resisted less often if you use the element the monster is weak to.

- not a BLM, WHM.