Lobby: Up
Online: 59
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:04 am 

So much wrong in 1 post I don't know where to start.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:52 am 

Naimah wrote:
So much wrong in 1 post I don't know where to start.

I got you bro.

Chakan wrote:
Bad DPS think it's better to spam random WS without a care so they can barely pay attention to the game.

Good DPS make good SCs for the bonus damage and just go when both partners have TP. You'll have to watch their TP and fit your MBs in without much notice. If they're consistent, you can even start casting AMs when they hit 850-900+% TP and land it.

Randomly, the 3rd DPS (who is typically more of the former than later) or the PLD will nerf your MB window by doing a random ass weak WS during it, closing the MB window.

Either way, everyone doesn't give a heck to bother with your MBs.

DPS don't use 'random' WS. They use their strongest (usually)multi-hit WS in order to maximize damage. It's inefficient to hold TP and to wait for another person to SC with you as in that time frame you could have used your WS and be well on the way to building TP for another. You can at times co-ordinate with other people in order to get the skillchain damage, but most of the good WS don't produce a lucrative skillchain and you're only doing it for the damage from closing a skillchain, not for the magic burst. Also, using SC you end up wasting a lot of time holding TP as the mob might be too low HP to make full use of the burst damage that will come out, so you'll hold it for next, and in essence you're just wasting time and damage and limiting your potential for high chains. It is probably worth setting up a SC if you have a BLM or two in lower lever parties where people don't have great gear, job traits and access to their GG WS, but once people get their multi-hits, there's no point.

Also, using AM for Magic Burst in parties has got to be one of the biggest BLM noobtraps from retail and it's strange to see it be suggested here when no one who knew their shit back then wanted to do such a thing, and that was over a decade of knowledge ago. Aside from being overkill it's incredibly mana inefficient, clunky to co-ordinate with strays, and all around useless in an exp party. Freeze is 315 MP, Thunder II is what, 86? Blizz II is just under 80 I think also. I can't really think of any circumstances in an exp party where it's worth using AM over your other spells.

And all of this isn't even taking into account that melee DPS deal consistent damage from 100-0% of the mob HP. As BLM, you often have to wait until at least ~70% before you start seriously nuking anything or else you'll pull hate with your spike damage (provided you don't get resisted) and heck up the whole flow. Or the fact that your damage is gated behind MP.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:23 pm 

You guys are reading too much into late night snide remarks about bad/lazy DPS. Look at the tone of the rest of the post. Of course they're going to use multi-hit WS as they gain them. It'd be silly to use anything else.

Many other DPS are more than happy to continue to repeat SCs when they stumble upon them, if they know them in advance, or if you suggest they go in a specific order. They will maintain a hit rate that will have them naturally ready to WS close to each other often and take advantage of the extra damage.

They will produce more useless-for-you Gravitations and Transfixions than you would ever have seen in retail back in the day, however. Far, far gone are the days of building a party around a Distortion SC.

The line about using AM was more about the BLM having to watch their TP and cast around the melee. No idea why I was talking about AM. But you will have to work around them and anticipate their actions.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:08 pm 

Last I heard getting a Light SC with Sharkbite off a SATA is way better than Dancing Edge. It's just laziness. It isn't better to WS right away your big multihit without trying to SC. I mean, it's even better to wait for TP when I'm duoing on WHM with a THF to get a Light SC, than it is for that THF to WS by himself each time, how can melee be building TP so far apart? Is everyone in lv 1 RSE and no acc gear while one guy has everything he needs?

And that's without even considering the benefit of MB afterwards. Just the SC damage itself.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:25 pm 

Most of the good ws skillchain together anyway. I believe in sc damage alone even if no BLM, but I'm not going to hold onto 1800tp to make it happen and I'm not going to use a shit ws to make a sc just to please a blm's desires to make big number. For instance when I have sturmwind I'm 99.9% of the time not going to iron tempest just cause it distortion, sturmwind will most likely reverberation off the same ws and do more dmg by itself than iron tempest and sc damage, blm can deal with water mb.

Theres a time when burning tp asap is better but also if u only have to hold back a few more rounds to make the mob go bye bye instead of tp asap, also wise. Alot of times it's just about pacing, sometimes u kill to fast for repops anyway.

Don't worry guys, in endgame we feed u constant light/dark sc to make big number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:56 pm 

A lot of parties are also formed without the leader paying any attention at all to picking jobs with compatible weaponskills, at least in the low to mid levels. As a blm you kind of have to form your own parties and deliberately pick people who have weapons that can optimally make the SC you want, and then tell them it's possible (because 90% of the time they have no idea what WS can even chain together) and ask them to try for it when they can. Otherwise, as Chakan says, they're just going to do whatever and it's up to luck whether you can MB or not.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:17 pm 

thank you guys for responding.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:20 am 

Chakan wrote:
Good DPS make good SCs for the bonus damage and just go when both partners have TP.

And it's a damn shame it isn't done more often, even without a Black Mage not only is it free extra damage but it boosts the closing weapon skill as well.

If anything it beats the silent drudgery of some XP parties having a little bit of cooperation.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:11 pm 

I dont understand most of the people on this post. The general consensus is that BLM gets bad in exp parties. That is a fact. That is also the reason that square made it possible to be innovative and explore alternate options of exping. Ie. Pet camps. It was not super fast. It was not cheating or extorting some glitch. It was hard, and you died often, but it could be done. The game wasnt designed so that everyone was forced to exp party, or play with others... It was designed so you could do what you wanted. Why was that punished? Was nerfing magic damage not enough... why nerf blms ability to gain exp also. It accomplished nothing but punishing people who enjoyed that style of gameplay and limiting peoples options on how to play the game.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:17 pm 

Randog44 wrote:
I dont understand most of the people on this post.

The people on this post didn't nerf pet camps, or close down TOaU camps. They're talking about the world we are playing in, not the world we wish we were playing in.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next