Online: 59
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: RDM as a damage dealer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:43 pm 

Hello!
I'm fairly new here, and I love the abilities RDM gets. Is it possible to do decent damage in a party as RDM/NIN? I know most guides say go /WHM and heal or debuff, but I was hoping to not heal. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:50 pm 

Kubisnaxx wrote:
Play something else if you wanna deal damage then

I need my privacy, I need some signs please,
You're all too loud you don't speak quietly, opinions violently.
Deft/Drop

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:01 pm 

Well, it looks like I can go sub NIN, and with the enthunder spells, it seems like this class should do well dealing damage. It just doesn't work?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:33 pm 

MundoBot wrote:
Well, it looks like I can go sub NIN, and with the enthunder spells, it seems like this class should do well dealing damage. It just doesn't work?

If you spend a lot for all +1/+2 gear and +1 food it can do as much damage as a poorly geared real DD that never uses TP moves up until the 40s or so

http://rfklinkshell.com/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:49 pm 

Awww. That's really sad :/ OK, thanks for the help, guys! (people!)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:19 am 

You do you, and to hell with the haters.
Try it if you want to. Surprise people. Practice, practice, practice. Learn your skill chains and magic burst while you melee. If you can buff, debuff, heal, and your sword swinging isn't TP feeding to the point that it slows xp... do it. Just don't be attached to the fruits of your labor, and keep your head up.

This community is going to tell you to level the standard shit because they want to use you.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:50 am 

Excal+Kclub u wouldn't be dissapointed, depending your expectations though with an enhancing sword/joyeuse you also wouldn't be disappointed. Don't expect an exp pt to approve though, they invite a rdm for a specific role which is compounded by trying to push melee damage as well. When you're with family&friends or like farming or soloing though you'll be respected for nailing it. When it comes to HNM/Endgame playing the meta or learning to tank on rdm gets you some good cookies. Seems like you enjoy the prospects of RDM ability to do many things, which a good thing. Play around experiment, set some goals for gearing in the right direction and the job won't let you down, above all do what you must to make the game fun for yourself, if you ever let metas or naysayers knock that polish off, there'll be no point in playing.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:51 am 

Mildew wrote:
This community is going to tell you to level the standard shit because they want to use you.

Oh yes, another new player for me to suck all the life force out of. Could it be that we have tried or are in the actual process of doing this? Nah, couldn't be.

For the record, I have RDM48 on Drop and have been /NIN the whole time, near BiS. The reason I do this is I bring my 75 RDM to handle healing. For starters, you're using a weapon with a B rating, not to mention the selection of gear at all levels is abysmal. You can contribute a decent bit of damage until around level 30 at which point it is not efficient or even serviceable as a damage dealer. I'm trying to save another new player the trouble of doing things that I and others have tried/are trying to do.

Play your game tho.

I need my privacy, I need some signs please,
You're all too loud you don't speak quietly, opinions violently.
Deft/Drop

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:57 am 

Kazen wrote:
Play your game tho.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:25 am 

I like to solo or low-man stuff with a friend and melee rdm is very fun for that. Just be sure to have some gear sets! One for melee, one for black magic and one for white magic enfeebling spells.

Many buffs are only affected by your enhancing magic skill, so you can equip your melee set even when casing those spells. I like to keep -spell interruption gear on though, just in case.

With blink and stoneskin up, you can tank many enemies solo. Make sure they're at least decent challenges so you get skill ups.

As far as doing damage in a party setting, don't forget that you are able to magic burst with the black mage! It increases the accuracy so your C+ in elemental becomes way more efficient if you burst your nukes instead of spamming them.

Refresh is your best friend. Do everything you can to get it and also dispel at their corresponding levels.

GL :)