Online: 66
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:54 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:39 pm 

OperationFail wrote:
Starbright wrote:
you cap slow II at 5/5 and then discuss what to do with the others.

But that's not what's happening here. Phalanx is way more interesting than Slow II so it was capped first.

yes, i realize you did it out of order.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:16 pm 

OperationFail wrote:
But then you dont get Paralyze II, which is supposed to be pretty significantly better than Paralyze 1. Also can't get Dia III for the DPS races.

1/5 Para 2 5/5 Slow 2 4/5 Dia 3

Phalanx 2 is only nice if you're tanking big stuff or PLing yourself.

Iirc it maxes at like 5 dmg per hit better than Phalanx.

ETA: Any serious endgame support RDM will max Slow 2. The benefits far outweigh the other options.

I need my privacy, I need some signs please,
You're all too loud you don't speak quietly, opinions violently.
Deft/Drop

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:55 pm 

Kubisnaxx wrote:
Phalanx II 5/5
Slow II 5/5 then

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:57 am 

Slow 2 5/5 & Bio 3 5/5 for my alt~ that's just me tho

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:03 am 

Kazen wrote:
OperationFail wrote:
But then you dont get Paralyze II, which is supposed to be pretty significantly better than Paralyze 1. Also can't get Dia III for the DPS races.

1/5 Para 2 5/5 Slow 2 4/5 Dia 3

Phalanx 2 is only nice if you're tanking big stuff or PLing yourself.

Iirc it maxes at like 5 dmg per hit better than Phalanx.

ETA: Any serious endgame support RDM will max Slow 2. The benefits far outweigh the other options.

I don't really plan to do alliance tier content. I'm never going to be in a party that has claim to an HNM. What we can't kill with a party of 5, won't be killed and I'm fine with that. As far as I can tell, on these forums, endgame=HNMs which we don't have any interest in.

To be more on topic, I pulled this from a popular blue gartr forum post:

Quote:
Slow II% is capped at:
1 Merit: 360/1024 (~35.1%)
2 Merits: 370/1024 (~36.1%)
3 Merits: 380/1024 (~37.1%)
4 Merits: 390/1024 (~38.09%)
5 Merits: 400/1024 (~39.06%)

I'd rather have a 37% slow and other options (Phalanx II, Dia III, Paralyze II) than just Phalanx II and a 39% slow.

I know you get more accuracy with merits too, but I don't know if I've ever had a Slow II not stick. And I've still got plenty of gear/merit upgrades to get, so I'm not worried about the debuff actually connecting, as that is more or less guaranteed it seems.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:16 am 

Kubisnaxx wrote:
So if you're going to be told Slow 2 5/5 by 3+ people and then come back and tell us that you don't want to do that, then go 1 or 2/5 on some other silly enfeeble that is wasted MP for how long the duration of it is without it being 5/5. This will be exacerbated by the fact that since you stated you aren't doing anything with more than 5 people, I doubt you'll get a dalmatica or af2 hat for auto refresh, where MP will be even tighter and matter more so that you don't waste it. Just because u have the spell merited doesn't mean you'll need to use it. Most of them are horrible 1 or 2/5.

There's a reason we all said slow 2 5/5 and I'll just leave it at that.

Slow II 5/5 was never an option. It was stated in the topic title and in my post. Not once did I ask if I should merit Slow II 5/5. The fact that the entire first page suggested Slow II 5/5 makes me worry about the reading comprehension of these forums.

With Dia III at 1/5, I can use it for really good merit PTs where I don't have to heal much anyway and I can use it before my 5 man crew WS+SC for the enhanced damage. The 15% defense down can be utilized in small windows just fine. And since Dia III merits only give the benefit of increased duration, it can be used strategically at 1 merit(30s) or more generally at 2 merits(60s). At 2/5 it'd outlast MOST mobs whereas it would probably timeout on anything that is very challenging.

Or I could go 3/5 into Slow II just because it is a really good enfeeble even though the benefit is marginal compared to the upgrade of additional Dia III merits.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:09 am 

Pretty sure 3/5 into slow 2 will require less mind stacked to hit the cap, possibly freeing you up to run mp rings or something, but if your team likes that dia III double the length would probably serve them best.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:46 am 

Phalanx 2 doesn't provide any more DR than Phalanx (Assuming Nas is retail accurate, anyway), so if you're tanking it's not making you any better, and if you're supporting you'll get more damage reduction in a fight from slow 2.

Phalanx 2 is useless unless you have other RDMs already covering slow2/para2

http://rfklinkshell.com/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:57 pm 

OperationFail wrote:

Slow II 5/5 was never an option. It was stated in the topic title and in my post. Not once did I ask if I should merit Slow II 5/5. The fact that the entire first page suggested Slow II 5/5 makes me worry about the reading comprehension of these forums.

The fact that literally everyone in the world knows you max Slow 2, and then everything else after that is personal preference....besides you, shouldn't make you question anyone's reading comprehension...

It should make you question your understanding of FFXI and RDM.

You don't have to explain why you don't want Slow 2, and why you want other spells... We already understood that you didn't have any idea what you were talking about. Saying it's "not an option" is just dumb. It's obviously an option. No one is going to ignore the best answer to a question just because the person asking the question doesn't realize it's the best answer.

In the end, good luck with it. Max Phalanx and Bio 3.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:50 pm 

The_Carrot wrote:
Pretty sure 3/5 into slow 2 will require less mind stacked to hit the cap, possibly freeing you up to run mp rings or something, but if your team likes that dia III double the length would probably serve them best.

I've seen conflicting data about Slow II potency. Some sources say each merit increases the minimum AND maximum capability of Slow II (which would be really good). While other sources claim that it just reduces the max mind you need to hit the slow% cap.

If I have to swap to my MND set to get max potency, that's fine by me. My enfeebles seem to always stick unless I'm on my melee set and even then it's probably 80% stick.