Lobby: Up
Online: 34
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:20 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:48 pm 

RDM is strong at the healer/debuff. RDM is not strong at DD. You can play how you want but expect to be asked to heal when invited to exp if this server is anything like retail. At 41 RDM is arguably a more desirable healer than WHM. RDM nukes are gimp and under tiered.
COR is not comparable to RNG in the damage arena. Most tp via melee and then WS. ACC is the biggest down fall. Well geared COR can hang with a poorly geared/poorly played RNG but when comparing apples to apples the RNG will destroy a COR.

I know it sucks to conform and like in retail, no one wants to main heal but just look at it like this; the quicker you heal your way to 75 the quicker you can start doing some really cool things. Accept those invites and heal like a mofo. Being proficient at healing will come in handy when you and your THF friend are duoing a level 85 mob for drops.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:54 pm 

RDM is a very special creature indeed.

I played BLM & WAR/NIN on Retail mostly endgame.
I wanted the solo abilities of RDM when i rolled on Nas due to low pop.

I can say that a RDM can solo 1-40 with not not much difficulty and at a pretty decent speed.
I tanked in Dunes, Qufim, Bibki as /war.
And DD'd as /nin
Ive DD'd (with good gear) in Garlige Citadel.

You can solo some sky pop NMs, Genbu, Roc, Bloodtear/Steelfleece and many other difficult mobs DDs could not.
You can tank and kite as RDM/PLD or as RDM/NIN with the right gear.

RDM may be the most complicated class to play because it can play many roles, though with groups you will be limited to mostly enfeebles and heals.

I find the most fun with RDM in low man and solo situations, I don't care for it much as part of a large group.

Hope this helps :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:43 pm 

I love RDM, and have found it is very versatile.

RDM really is the swiss army knife of jobs. Healers can be hard to come by sometimes, so a RDM may be asked to heal. I have also had parties where they need more DD, and RDM replaces a BLM for that party. My view is exp is exp. If my job fills a required role, then it beats seeking. As a under 41 RDM I never know what my RDM will be doing for the party, but I always try to have fun.

You should be able to play your role however you prefer as long as the party is being successful, and you can keep up. I get a little sad when my BLM is told not to enfeeble. I have mp I should be able to cast whatever spell I want. We are all different, and maybe your view on RDM is right, but just like RL you sometimes have to prove yourself before people will just let you do your thing.

Be a bad ass RDM that people want to invite, keep working on the static party, and make a name for yourself on Nasomi. Fame isn't limited to NPCs. You need fame with the player base as well to be truly successful.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:29 am 

You have to view it this way: There's a ton of jobs, but only a few can heal or buff or debuff good.

People underestimate just how effective a few strong debuffs are: Slow & Paralyze are massive when dealing with VT/IT battles. When a mob misses a turn, that's a heal worth's of damage you or your healer didn't have to do. Slow, now it's 20% less damage dealt. So this is your priority. Other priorities would be keeping haste/refresh cycles up and pop heals when needed.

However, you can do all of this while still being in the thick of combat.

Since early retail (2003 for myself), I was RDM main and carried multiple sets of gear to ensure I land my debuffs, before switching out to melee. I kept the tank & a melee hasted, refreshed the mages, in-between casts, the sword swings for decent damage (with melee gear & food). Nobody complaint actually and we killed faster than me siting in the back doing nothing between casts.

This is especially true if a PT has a WHM or SMN/WHM. The RDM IMO needs to step up and deal some extra damage in-between the priority tasks. Most folks don't bother, they will sit back but it's a lazy way to play. :/

I had a few 5 JP + me parties back then, we had a WHM already so I took out RDM/DRK to access Vorpal Blade (RDM on retail could not get it), and we exped L60+ and I got quite a few shocked JP players, astonished at the damage output a RDM is capable of. Like 500-800 Vorpal Blade against IT enemies (when Rampage or Tachi: Yukikaze does similar dmg!). While still doing my RDM duties.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:32 pm 

Did you not play on old school retail? In era, red mage was always asked to join a party as back up healer or main healer. Merit parties were especially notorious for inviting red mage healers only.

Just wait until you get to 75. The red mages in my linkshell fill all sorts of roles - dynamis they are sleep and crowd control masters, and in sky or on znms they're often tanks. And don't forget how well a red mage can solo.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:45 pm 

Are RDM still invited for chainstun as /drk for certain situations (like Dynamis lord). Or chain nukes for quick bursts?