Lobby: Up
Online: 40
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Best race for RDM Tank
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:37 am 

What do you guys think the best race for RDM tank is? This subject is very fascinating to me and would like to see a fun discussion of opinions about it. Also love reading about RDM tank vs PLD tank as well. Share all your knowledge!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:18 pm 

Honestly never heard of rdm tanking.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:44 pm 

I know the initial OP is a little bit dated now, but it doesn't hurt to put some info since these forums tend to move so slowly.

I know nothing about RDM tanking myself, but there is a huge Screenshots post on the Main Forum, and page 3 has various pics of Virlym tanking various NMs such as Kirin, Cactrot Rapido, Byakko, etc. So.... assuming they still play on Nasomi, starting with Virlym (or Cthalupa who also piped up in the same thread) might be a good source for pros and cons about races and how to get started with tanking.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:50 am 

I think any of the races can tank any of the content out there without too much trouble on any of the tank jobs, but RDM offers even more flexibility than the rest.

Your biggest strength as an RDM tank is avoiding taking damage, so your HP comes into play less, making it less risky as a taru, and you have a lot of refresh gear and convert available for you to help keep your MP up, giving you less MP concerns as a galka. Personally I'm a mithra, so pretty middle of the road.

For melee phases or mobs your biggest boons are your innate fast cast + fast cast gear, as well as haste. Not only can you get your shadow recast down to the cap (which is a lower recast time on Nas than it is on retail by several seconds, for whatever reason) easily, but your shadow casts will go off much quicker. You can be fairly sloppy if a mob has slow 2 and elegy on and start your ichi shadow cast in between attack rounds and still get it off if you do it fairly quickly after a swing, and ni gives you even more play.

For magic damage, you have access to enough element resistance gear to be fine for any of the content you care about there, along with job trait MDB.

Stoneskin and phalanx are your other big strengths and come in to play with both types of content, giving you additional leeway to screw up or deal with bad doubleattack procs on physical damage, and provide a lot of effective HP for magic damage.

I don't bother with PDT gear outside of an earth staff, in part because I am constantly at 67-69/70 already, and I generally don't bring RDM to content where I know I'll end up getting hit - mostly I use it for wyrms, but will take it elsewhere if needed. If I get terrored on Faf or Nid the BLMs are gonna end up tanking for the duration anyway, so I'm not super concerned there.

Cliff notes: RDM tanking playstyle and gear means any of the races can do it pretty effectively and you don't run into the same potential drawbacks nearly as much as you would on races that have HP or MP concerns.

Atasha wrote:
Honestly never heard of rdm tanking.

It can tank almost all the content in the game, and is better than PLD at certain portions of it. (I'd argue it's better than PLD for most everything, especially on Nas, but lots would disagree)

Square Enix even used it as their tank for Absolute Virtue in the kill video they released.

http://rfklinkshell.com/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:46 am 

cthalupa wrote:
Not only can you get your shadow recast down to the cap (which is a lower recast time on Nas than it is on retail by several seconds, for whatever reason)

Citation needed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:08 am 

Deadwing wrote:
cthalupa wrote:
Not only can you get your shadow recast down to the cap (which is a lower recast time on Nas than it is on retail by several seconds, for whatever reason)

Citation needed

Ichi recast shouldn't be able to go lower than 15 seconds for this era (not sure about current retail), but you can get it down to 12 on Nas.

https://belkinator.livejournal.com/829.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:15 am 

cthalupa wrote:
Deadwing wrote:
cthalupa wrote:

Citation needed

Ichi recast shouldn't be able to go lower than 15 seconds for this era (not sure about current retail), but you can get it down to 12 on Nas.

Hard cap 50% at 15 seconds yes. I wrote the code that enforces it on nas. Under what circumstances does it go lower? Other than chainspell obviously.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:26 am 

Deadwing wrote:
cthalupa wrote:
Deadwing wrote:

Citation needed

Hard cap 50% at 15 seconds yes. I wrote the code that enforces it on nas. Under what circumstances does it go lower? Other than chainspell obviously.

12s took SV March last time I tested, but just now with regular marches, warlock's chapeau, duelist's tabard, n sash, loquacious, dusk gloves, dusk feet, I got 13s on recast, so presumably 14s cooldown. (Now that I think about it, it might have been 13s cooldown showing 12s recast on sv march)

edit: Image

Kulgan and I sat around testing it at Tia at one point, because I actually thought the spell haste cap just wasn't working at all, but we couldn't get it below that point even when stacking more haste.

edit2: Chatting with Deadwing about this and keeping this thread in the loop, he thinks it might be a mixture of how recast displays things + a bit of lag on my part. Confirmed that the ingame recast timer actually does report the right time, and I can't actually repro the 12 or 13s cast, so that might be a faulty memory on my part. Code on the server side is pretty simple so I don't see how it could be bugged. I'm gonna try to do a bit more testing, but I'm pretty convinced this is at most a recast display thing, so you can consider my claim debunked.