Lobby: Up
Online: 37
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:59 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:15 pm 

Cilarnen wrote:
Enfeebs on xp mobs is moot. If you need to cast anything other than dia, you need to get better dds (tank incl). Its not a high bar to tp burn mobs to death (proper nq tp and ws gear with food is a thing). If you need to save mp, just cast dia1 instead of 2.

I tried my very best to balance my advice out between the extremes of Meripo xp on Nasomi, and new players that might not be in perfect parties, which the OP sounded like he might be... possibly being new to the game and/or new to the job. I am well aware of the rampant elitism on Nasomi, and as such am not surprised in any way by the response to my post, but I never intended to speak to your experiences in game, I intended to give helpful tips to a newer player while also giving plenty of caveats to how things might change as one approaches endgame.

The hard truth that you probably won't admit, just judging on the tone of your reply, is that a new player might be in a sub-optimal party and not even realize it. An experienced player might suffer a sub-optimal party for cruddy xp, because they are on a lesser sought job like BLU, THF, PUP, etc. They might see the recent population dip (especially at night it has even gone below 500 players online and Sync Range has shot up past 10), and are adamant about getting any xp possible and are willing to put up with things you personally would not put up with.

Your advice, quite honestly, is meaningless in many situations, especially those that play off-times like EU hours, and super late nite when there are not "better dds (tank incl)" online to choose from. Hopefully the OP can scan the posts/replies and choose for himself which advice seems to help out his experience on RDM, and I won't waste any more time past this in response to fairytale claims that every pt is so perfect that the RDM can just cast Dia and nothing else. I know I won't convince you anyways, so wasted breath stops here.

In reply to Operationfail: Your advice about casting Para 1st is valid, I have done so as well in the past, and I can see the argument either way for which to cast first. Thanks for the additional advice.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:55 pm 

It's all situational, and the trick for almost any job is reading the overall ability of your group. If the mob is dying within 10-15 seconds, then there is little need to expend MP for debuffs that have almost zero net effect. This also means you probably have a WAR or SAM tank, and will need that MP strictly for heals. You'll find that as your levels increase, so does the tempo of the party. Landing debuffs is pretty important early on, but becomes less and less necessary.

The best advice I can give when playing WHM or RDM is to use Regen over Curebombs, unless they've dropped into orange HP. Use it to clean up collateral damage gradually, while saving those heavy cures for your tank. You'll know you're doing your job right when everyone's HP is either topped up or on its way there. I suggest you eat Witch Kabobs up to around Lv50-55, and Wizard Cookies thereafter. Save up for every piece of hMP gear you can get your hands on, and rest every time your attention is not needed. A lot of people look at RDM as an endless MP fountain, yet it's anything but. If you don't learn to do what you can afford to, you're going to be ogling that Convert cooldown long before it's ready. Haste and Refresh are reserved primarily for yourself and the tank, with everyone else on the condition you can spare the MP. The more skilled you are, the more you can do with less-optimal gear. But, if you're looking to be the best, you need both.

Even if you have a PL, they will probably appreciate it if you're handling it all yourself as they get to focus on playing their job.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:36 pm 

Something not mentioned in this thread is a good convert set. I'd say it's more important to exp rdm than good enfeeble/nuke gear. The idea is you want to get HP and MP simultaneously as high as possible. This means HP+ and MP+ gear are more important than converts HP to MP gear, though limited amounts of hp to mp conversion gear can be nice to balance things. The order you put this gear on is important, the HP+ gear needs to go on before any converts HP to MP gear.

At the very least you should be able to get free MP to cure yourself back to full. If you still have some convert-set-only MP you can cook it off with protects and shells even if they have a few minutes before they wear. At this point I usually add in some HP+ gear first, then swap out converts HP to MP and MP+ gear that I no longer need. This keeps the HP pool high for the next convert, and gives a little extra survive-ability in the meantime. There should now be a few slots freed up from shedding the convert set that you can stick int or mnd gear in at good proportions. If you want to get really fancy you can have your sets swap in HP+ gear in some slots before switching int or mind gear into the others as you switch from an int or a mind set. Really a blend of int and mnd is fine though, especially on a budget.

The only time the MP+ gear would really need to go back in is in a healing MP/idle set which is also probably more important than int/mind gear for exp parties. Again, spending off the extra HMP set MP with protects and shells is a good way not to waste it if you know it'll be shed as soon as you enfeeble or nuke something.