Lobby: Up
Online: 55
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: RDM/NIN set
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:14 am 

Just curious on what people are running for their RDM/NIN melee set. What'cha got?

Post subject: Re: RDM/NIN set
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:19 pm 

I feel like the answers are far too varying depending on what your goal is...you might need to be more specific.

What level range?
Solo vs group play?
xp mobs vs NMs vs HNMs? (I guess rdm don't melee HNMs but they certainly /nin)

It's a simple question with a complicated answer.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:56 pm 

seventythree19 wrote:
I feel like the answers are far too varying depending on what your goal is...you might need to be more specific.

What level range?
Solo vs group play?
xp mobs vs NMs vs HNMs? (I guess rdm don't melee HNMs but they certainly /nin)

It's a simple question with a complicated answer.

You're right, I should have specified. I do a bit of farming on RDM because I don't have THF leveled and sometimes I like to test myself on tougher mobs in my case (lv. 75RDM). I'm just wondering if people have a general melee set that is their go to when soloing NMs or normal mobs when farming.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:56 pm 

I use the same melee set for everything. Just get as much haste as possible, then as much acc as possible, then as much attack as possible. I usually eat bream sushi, but marinara pizza and akamochi are mostly fine too. I just prefer to not miss ever.

I typically value acc at 1:5 attack if you have to choose. Haste is invaluable though.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:29 pm 

Phersulion wrote:

You're right, I should have specified. I do a bit of farming on RDM because I don't have THF leveled and sometimes I like to test myself on tougher mobs in my case (lv. 75RDM). I'm just wondering if people have a general melee set that is their go to when soloing NMs or normal mobs when farming.

Cthalupa piped up in the thread asking about RDM tanking and race, and listed off quite a bit of the Haste gear they use in a discussion about Utsu recast timers. I think once you see the very impressive number for Ichi recast, you will understand why Haste is probably the number one goal for your /nin set, with ACC being stuffed in the other slots mostly because of our poor B rating in swords and the fact that you want as many hits as possible to connect so you can transmit your Enspell which is what helps shore up our deficiencies in melee combat.

After that, I'd definitely consider a full WS equipset swap of course, and probably an EVA and - Spell Interruption equipset for casting Stoneskin. The Stoneskin swap of course should also contain +Enhancing and MND to insure hitting the 350 dmg absorbed cap*, which depending on your gear and merits will probably be very easy to reach.

*Edit: https://www.staronion.com/maiev/nfblog/?page_id=152

"ur base is 256 @ 75, with AF1 pants, its +15 enhancing + 3mnd, that gives roughly 15 stoneskin potency + (3×3), a 24 increase in potency, considering a 256 enhancing stoneskin can hold 251 dmg, by default all rdm’s stoneskin should be 251+24 = 275 dmg cap is 350, minumum is 275 u really need to add:

25 MND (if you use af1 pants for stoneskin) to your equipment swapping
20 MND (if you use af1 pants and af2 gloves)"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:29 pm 

Knarlfist wrote:
Phersulion wrote:

Cthalupa piped up in the thread asking about RDM tanking and race, and listed off quite a bit of the Haste gear they use in a discussion about Utsu recast timers. I think once you see the very impressive number for Ichi recast, you will understand why Haste is probably the number one goal for your /nin set, with ACC being stuffed in the other slots mostly because of our poor B rating in swords and the fact that you want as many hits as possible to connect so you can transmit your Enspell which is what helps shore up our deficiencies in melee combat.

After that, I'd definitely consider a full WS equipset swap of course, and probably an EVA and - Spell Interruption equipset for casting Stoneskin. The Stoneskin swap of course should also contain +Enhancing and MND to insure hitting the 350 dmg absorbed cap*, which depending on your gear and merits will probably be very easy to reach.

*Edit: https://www.staronion.com/maiev/nfblog/?page_id=152

"ur base is 256 @ 75, with AF1 pants, its +15 enhancing + 3mnd, that gives roughly 15 stoneskin potency + (3×3), a 24 increase in potency, considering a 256 enhancing stoneskin can hold 251 dmg, by default all rdm’s stoneskin should be 251+24 = 275 dmg cap is 350, minumum is 275 u really need to add:

25 MND (if you use af1 pants for stoneskin) to your equipment swapping
20 MND (if you use af1 pants and af2 gloves)"

I actually throw in Haste/Fast Cast gear into my SS macro. It's easy to hit SS Cap on RDM due to the high Enh and MND that a Rdm has access to. So I throw AF2Body, AF Hat, Vbelt, Dusk Hands/feet for haste to get that recast down to ~14Sec and finishes casting around 47-50%. When I get home I can post a full set when I'm looking at everything. No MND merits or enhancing merits. I use the formula off FFXI Wiki and it seems to be spot on. I'll definitely have to test more with 1000 Needles.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:05 pm 

Chariya wrote:
I actually throw in Haste/Fast Cast gear into my SS macro. It's easy to hit SS Cap on RDM due to the high Enh and MND that a Rdm has access to. So I throw AF2Body, AF Hat, Vbelt, Dusk Hands/feet for haste to get that recast down to ~14Sec and finishes casting around 47-50%. When I get home I can post a full set when I'm looking at everything. No MND merits or enhancing merits. I use the formula off FFXI Wiki and it seems to be spot on. I'll definitely have to test more with 1000 Needles.

Yea, as RDM you can actually pre-cast all of your spells with Fast Cast, if you only want the speed and don't care as much about the recast timer. So some people will want just the FC, some rdm/nins tanking the harder content will want the extra Haste to bring down the recast timer.

/equipset ### (only Fast Cast pieces, AF Relic and Loq Ear)
/ma "Stoneskin" <me> <wait 1>
/equipset ### (all of your +Enhancing, MND, -Spell Interrupt in the best slots)
/wait 8
/equipset ### (back to melee/TP set, or Idle set if doing Mage duties)

Edit: I am only going off that link I included, that posits that one needs +20 MND on top of AF+Relic in order to hit 350dmg, tested with 1k Needles. Have not tested myself, and of course Retail numbers don't always match what happens on Nasomi. I might test soon as well, because I definitely noticed my Enspell dmg hit another tier from putting in some Enhancing merits, and I should be hitting 9th MND merit tomorrow morning. Would be nice to greatly lower or remove completely the need at all to have special gear on for casting Stoneskin. Sometimes I love lazy casting it from menu.