Lobby: Up
Online: 60
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:06 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:01 am 

Hi all,

I am a reasonably broke (thanks magic scrolls!) lvl 50 Red Mage, which means that in 1 level, I can use the elemental staves. I have a few questions:

1. Will I be considered a "bad" Red Mage if I showed up to an exp party without an elemental staff?
2. Which staves are the absolute "must have's" for Red Mage in an exp party environment?

My goals right now is just to get RDM to 75, complete RotZ and CoP and then start looking at end game stuff.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:40 am 

Generally you want

Light staff for cure
dark/pluto staff for Sleeps
ice/aquilos for paralyze, and blizard 3 (since it adds skill)
wind/austere for gravity
earth/terra for slow

nice to have but not needed.
Jupiter
Apollo
Water/Neptune
Fire

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:46 am 

I think if you dig enough, there is another thread like this with a great response from Valacar maybe a year or 18 months ago.

For leveling a RDM, I would prioritize the staves like this:

Light > Dark > Earth > Ice > Wind > Water/Fire/Thunder all being the same standing. Cures > Sleep/Resting > Slow/Idle set > Para > Gravity, basically. An argument could be made for Dark > Light, based on MP needs, but those should be the first two staves you purchase, followed by Earth.

At 75, the best setup for a RDM is a Chatoyant, a Terra's, and an Aquilo's. Chatoyant for casting and resting, Terra's for idle, and Aquilo's for Blizzard nukes. This also applies to 75 BLM.

As for your first question, that is up to you. I think that one of the great parts of this game is that the need for gear should slow down your leveling progression. In order to be as effective as possible, mages should expect to take a break from leveling around level 50 and farm enough to afford some of the staves and spells their job needs. Of course, this is up to the individual, and the person inviting them to the party.

https://www.topshelf.team/
2017 TS Fantasy Football Champion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:17 am 

Awesome, thank you guys for the replies. Guess I have some farming to do haha :p

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:26 pm 

Fid wrote:

At 75, the best setup for a RDM is a Chatoyant, a Terra's, and an Aquilo's. Chatoyant for casting and resting, Terra's for idle, and Aquilo's for Blizzard nukes. This also applies to 75.

Would this be true for leveling as well? I know you mentioned order for leveling above, but didn't hit on iridal/chatoyant. If one can afford iridal at 51, would that be the go to staff? Let's assume inv space is not a concern. Im almost 51 and starting to think about which staffs to buy. Based on above I could get iridal/earth/ice and then upgrade to HQ as I can afford them. Is that correct?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:23 pm 

That's more than adequate for leveling.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:01 pm 

isaacsaur wrote:
Fid wrote:

At 75, the best setup for a RDM is a Chatoyant, a Terra's, and an Aquilo's. Chatoyant for casting and resting, Terra's for idle, and Aquilo's for Blizzard nukes. This also applies to 75.

Would this be true for leveling as well? I know you mentioned order for leveling above, but didn't hit on iridal/chatoyant. If one can afford iridal at 51, would that be the go to staff? Let's assume inv space is not a concern. Im almost 51 and starting to think about which staffs to buy. Based on above I could get iridal/earth/ice and then upgrade to HQ as I can afford them. Is that correct?

If you get an iridal, for leveling, you'll be perfectly fine.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:24 pm 

Like the others have said, an iridal will be just fine for leveling. You could start with the iridal, then save for a Terra's, then an Apollo's, and fill out the rest of your staves from there. My earlier post was aimed towards people who wanted to buy their NQ staves incrementally, but I would recommend farming for an iridal over doing them individually.

https://www.topshelf.team/
2017 TS Fantasy Football Champion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:25 am 

I ended up just buying the "essential" NQ staves, which gave me some left over gil to buy scrolls with. I am now 75, so I plan on slowly replacing the NQ staves with HQ ones.