Lobby: Up
Online: 59
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Merit requests
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:49 am 

So I just got 8/8 Enfeebling so I was wondering what else I should merit on RDM. I tend to do a lot level capped stuff but also started to get into more uncapped stuff like occasional sky and die in a mess.

What are some recommended Merit setups for rdm for Solo, Sea, Sky and Die in a mess? Also maybe tanking for other people down the road.

Post subject: Re: Merit requests
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:13 am 

8/8 Enfeebling was a great start, where to go next depends on what you strive to do.

Solo Kiting: Go for Ice accuracy, every bit helps with Bind. INT will help too, especially if you're a low INT/MP race. Bio3 will help speed things up for the DoT, but you want at least 3~4 merits to make it worth the MP cost. Also, depending on your gear, you might also need a few merits in Dark Skill to make the difference between dmg/tic tiers.

Dynamis: Enfeebling is mostly what you needed there to ensure your sleepgas land. Beyond that, everything else is just a bonus: Slow2/Dia3 for making NM's more manageable for your DD's, Convert recast if you blow through MP quickly, etc. Since you'll be /blm, dark skill for more powerful (and accurate) Drain/Aspir could never hurt.

Tanking: HP/Enmity+ is always a good idea. Convert recast could be critical depending on how well your support keeps refresh/ballads on you. Also, you really shouldn't have to (and you have better things to do with your time/MP), but sometimes you can only rely on yourself to land a Slow2, so maybe that would be a good idea to pick up.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:13 am 

Enfeebling 8/8 is probably what most new 75 RDMs should focus on. Eventually, you will want Healing/Enhancing/Elemental/Dark at 8/8 as well, and probably in that order. I can't recommend 5/5 Convert Recast merits enough. The extra MP really adds up over a long event. Of course HP and MP to 10/10 are also great to have but are not a huge priority, unless you play something like Galka or Elvaan. RDM gets a ton of MP gear at 75 to bridge racial differences. Versatility is what makes RDM my favourite job, and the merits reflect that.

RDM merits really come down to preference and your style of play. Vavaud has already made some really great points. 5/5 Slow II is pretty essential no matter what you are doing. Dia III is also a big help to your alliance members, but I don't think it is worth putting 5/5 into. I have 2/5 into Dia III, which makes it last 1 minute. I felt like a 30 second Dia III was a bit too short for me. If you want to try some longer solo fights, then Bio III has some value. If you're purely a support RDM, you could consider putting some into Paralyze II. Phalanx II has some niche uses as well. It all comes down to how you want to play your RDM. Same with the elemental accuracy merits. I have 5/5 into Lightning Magic Accuracy, which helps when duoing some stuff in Sky. Your Blizzard III's get the boost from the +10 Elemental Skill on the Aquilo's Staff, so this would be a boost to your Thunder III. Lightning accuracy should also affect your Stun accuracy as RDM/DRK. If you weren't interested in doing anything like that, you could put 5/5 into Earth accuracy to help your Slow II's hit and no one could fault you there. Or as Vavaud said, Ice accuracy is also an excellent choice.

https://www.topshelf.team/
2017 TS Fantasy Football Champion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:32 pm 

I always thought a most RDMs did Wind Macc for Silence and Gravity, is that not the case? No one has recommended it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:05 pm 

I'll echo the sentiments of Vavaud and Fid in that 8/8 enfeebling is a must. I also agree that 5/5 convert recast is extremely strong - the effective MP increase from these merits is game changing. After that, Slow II stands out in the category as an essential as well.

From there on, the debate gets more subjective. I personally did 5/5 ice magic accuracy for one major reason. It's the only elemental accuracy that has a major benefit in enfeebling (paralyze), crowd control (bind), and a strong nuke (blizzard). Paralyze is good, bind is life-saving, and blizzard is frequently your best nuking spell. As Fid mentioned, ice magic gets the ele skill boost from Aquilo's staff but I doubled down on that because RDM ele skill is relatively low to begin with and wanted to bolster it to help with situations where RDMs landing nukes altogether can be murky. But this is just an alternate opinion. Thunder accuracy is good to balance the 'quality' of your top nukes (thunder and blizzard) so you're not always stuck with blizzard. Wind is reasonable as well for silence and gravity, and bolstering aero nukes. I'd have a hard time making an argument for any other magic accuracy category.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:29 pm 

If you're putting any merits in Convert, you're not handling your MP well. Sorry... 8/8 Enfeeb is a great start, next would be Ele skill imo. From there for T1, Cap Ice Acc for Bind/Paralyze and Earth/Wind for Slow and Grav either 3/2 or 2/3, whichever your preference.

As for Tier2, it depends what you want to use Rdm for. More solo, cap Bio3. With 211 Dark skill, you'll reach the appropriate tier to do max DOT. I'd have to check Wiki for full amount but anything over 211 is too much because Rdm can't hit the next tier for dark skill. Para2 and Slow2 are your prime spells in tier2. I go with 3 Para and 2 Slow when I was on retail. Now this is based off retail, I'm still lvling rdm on Nasomi but this is the same route I'll start with and adjust as I go along.

At the end of the day, it's all what you really want to use Rdm for. Figure out your endgame and build off of that. If you ever have any questions in game or on here, feel free to pm me or hit me up in game. Same name.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:39 pm 

If you're not meriting convert, you're probably doing less than ought to be in the name of MP conservation.. in the end-game scene.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:58 pm 

Chariya wrote:
If you're putting any merits in Convert, you're not handling your MP well. Sorry...

I'd argue that capping Convert merits gives you more total MP to work with over the long term. MP management is not equivalent to your total MP available, in the basic sense. More MP gives two RDMs of equal skill more to work with in the long run. There are always going to be times where MP isn't as necessary and your Refresh effects can keep up with what your group requires, but having more MP to draw from over a longer period of time is valuable enough to justify 5 merit upgrades, in my opinion.

The difference is more pronounced in tanking situations where your support isn't great, or if you are soloing something that requires a long fight, but is also ultimately very useful for support players in longer events like Dynamis-Xarcabard, where 2 of your melee can get Quadrastrike'd 2 minutes after you Protect IV/Shell IV the entire party and you're doing 5 Hastes and 3 Refreshes on top of healing/enfeebling. You can manage your MP in the most efficient way possible, but over time I'd argue that the larger amount of MP available by cutting 100 seconds off every Convert is going to be very useful.

https://www.topshelf.team/
2017 TS Fantasy Football Champion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:29 pm 

I capped convert because I'm Elvaan, so I already have a handicap in the MP department. It is in my opinion that they're worth it: not just because of my smaller Max MP pool, but because it helps in those "oh sht" moments like Fid's example. Those things do happen, and are impossible to predict, and having MP vs. not can sometimes make the difference between a wipe vs. a delay: especially if you're the tank, you lose some hate, and you don't have MP to blow on a couple cure cheats and a bunch of people end up getting eaten.

If you're worried about it: don't merit it and instead carry a Pro-Ether or Elixir around. If you find yourself out of MP and using the medicine, take a glance at your convert cooldown timer and make a mental note if merits would have saved you. If it would have helped: have merits next time you do that event.

^ Shameless alchemy endorsement ^