Lobby: Up
Online: 66
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 63 pld 1h+shld or 2h?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:11 pm 

Curious about what's deemed most acceptable. I've been tanking in parade gorget, Vcloak, phalanx rings, Velocious Belt, af and such. My exp build has been to maximize refresh (6 mp with refresh) since galkas mp is low. Been using equipsets to cure cheat spam up to full cure 3's for 263 anytime I want. Never really have trouble holding hate, and my build is only 5 def under full af (considering different rings being used). My idle gear gives around 500 def with defender, with equipsets swapped out for 2seconds at a time.

I have the gear to make a 2h dps build, but have always been a fan of tanking and being 50% my own healer. It seems like the 2h builds are favored lately, so I wanted to ask the PLD community for input and to share experiences about this duality. I appreciate any comments you can offer.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:28 pm 

The_Carrot wrote:
Curious about what's deemed most acceptable. I've been tanking in parade gorget, Vcloak, phalanx rings, Velocious Belt, af and such. My exp build has been to maximize refresh (6 mp with refresh) since galkas mp is low. Been using equipsets to cure cheat spam up to full cure 3's for 263 anytime I want. Never really have trouble holding hate, and my build is only 5 def under full af (considering different rings being used). My idle gear gives around 500 def with defender, with equipsets swapped out for 2seconds at a time.

I have the gear to make a 2h dps build, but have always been a fan of tanking and being 50% my own healer. It seems like the 2h builds are favored lately, so I wanted to ask the PLD community for input and to share experiences about this duality. I appreciate any comments you can offer.

Greatsword paladin is cool, especially in the tp burn exp party meta. I cant shed much personal light on the matter but I've seen friends putting out nice numbers and have a lot of fun, more fun then the sword and boarders

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:16 pm 

I used sword with a DD build simply because the skill cap was higher and helped with acc. Can do some pretty nice vorpals.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:51 pm 

When going to exp in a dps build, do the war, sam, rng, *insert dps here*, end up ripping away the aggro? Not asking insultingly, just curious if you really only get the 1st voke/flash before it becomes a dps game. The reason for asking is, seems like if /war isn't needed, PLD/sam with 2h+hasso and meditate would have the most effect. Does that sound reasonable?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:10 pm 

Yes, the DDs still ripped away the aggro when I did it, especially when above the halfway mark for a camp level, but I did not have a top tier DD build.

I can't speak to the /SAM because I have not leveled SAM since retail and have not researched how much that would make up the difference between the A+ vs B rating in skill and the lackluster WS from Great Sword. Now, a Penta Thrusting PLD MAY make up some of the difference on monsters weak to piercing, but again, the acc would have to be made up more (E vs A+), and you could also still try to find a piercing sword to gain similar advantage since the polearm choice for PLD is abysmal.

Edit: Depending on the PT setup and camp, you may need voke and flash in order to get first aggro on each mob. I was in parties where flash wasn't enough.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:27 pm 

Yeh pld wouldn't get penta til 70, and the E is just bleh.... Would be better with a staff than spear I'd imagine. The piercing sword may have some value though, may try some builds out this week, possibly get my ls to come experiment with me. Thanks for all the input, it's been very informative, if anyone can think of anything else, please let us hear about it ^^

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:17 pm 

I personally found Great Sword to be incredibly underwhelming when I leveled PLD. Granted, I mostly soloed my way, but Sword was outdpsing Great Sword by a wide margin.

I need my privacy, I need some signs please,
You're all too loud you don't speak quietly, opinions violently.
Deft/Drop

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:26 pm 

The_Carrot wrote:
Yeh pld wouldn't get penta til 70, and the E is just bleh.... Would be better with a staff than spear I'd imagine. The piercing sword may have some value though, may try some builds out this week, possibly get my ls to come experiment with me. Thanks for all the input, it's been very informative, if anyone can think of anything else, please let us hear about it ^^

Paladin gets penta at 56...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:20 pm 

Kazen wrote:
I personally found Great Sword to be incredibly underwhelming when I leveled PLD. Granted, I mostly soloed my way, but Sword was outdpsing Great Sword by a wide margin.

Would you recommend pld/nin duel wielding, or pld/war keeping berserk up as much as possible?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:25 pm 

The_Carrot wrote:
Kazen wrote:

Would you recommend pld/nin duel wielding, or pld/war keeping berserk up as much as possible?

I was PLD/NIN dualwielding with BRD or RDM PL the whole way.

I need my privacy, I need some signs please,
You're all too loud you don't speak quietly, opinions violently.
Deft/Drop