Lobby: Up
Online: 48
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:20 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Proper Apocalypse Setup
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:34 pm 

I was going to post this in another thread but thought it deserved its own. There are a lot of Apocalypse DRKs out there that don't get the most out of their character. The strength of the Apoc isn't in big WS numbers; it comes from the aftermath effect and what it lets you do with your gear. Catastrophe damage is incredibly inconsistent, and can range from 400-1800 on the same target. This is a terrible method of gauging the strength of the weapon.

The aftermath effect from Catastrophe is where DRK goes to another level because it allows you to play at the 26% haste cap. As a DRK, the biggest source of your total damage comes from autoattacks and being able to operate at the haste cap is a huge boost. It is important to note that the effect is 10% EQUIPMENT haste. This means that when the aftermath is active, you should be switching gear to make up for this. In my regular TP set, I have 22% haste:

When the Catastrophe aftermath is active, I switch to this set, with 16% haste:

Since the aftermath gives you 10% equipment haste, you're wasting the effect by not taking haste pieces off for the time that the effect is active. By switching to the aftermath set, you gain:

Accuracy+10
Attack+20
STR+4
DEX+3
10% haste, putting you at the equipment haste cap.

This is better than wearing another Haubergeon on top of all your other gear, and still being at the haste cap. Staying in the same TP set after using Catastrophe does cap your haste, but without an aftermath set, you're wasting most of this effect and you're missing out on some great stat boosts from the gear you can switch to. It is frustrating seeing Apoc DRKs with great gear failing to get the most out of their job. It takes some micromanagement, especially with Souleater and Last Resort, but I'd put my DRK up against any SAM in terms of pure damage. I think that the Apoc is clearly a top-tier DD relic, and I haven't even mentioned the 40% heal from your Catastrophe damage.

https://www.topshelf.team/
2017 TS Fantasy Football Champion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:09 pm 

To confirm, the equipment haste cap on Nasomi is functioning as intended and stops at 26%? I had heard from some players that the cap wasn't working correctly and if that's the case, until it is fixed, Apoc should allow you to break the cap and get 32-33% equipment Haste. I would imagine DRK and MNK would be the only two jobs that could break 26% so I'm not sure how easy this would be to test.

Anyway, very good points and something all Apoc DRKs should note. On retail I had a post-Catastrophe set that included a lot more Attack, because it was very rare to need accuracy on a fully merited Apoc DRK.

Fairy (ThoseGuys/LostParadise)
Cerberus (Resurgence)
Phoenix (Beyond/DynamisBums)
Shiva (Apathy)
Nasomi (DraconicBallad)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:28 pm 

My understanding is that haste caps are only applied when calculating melee delay but not when calculating recast, resulting in he discrepancy. Thorough testing shows that Catastrophe applies gear haste appropriately and will cap at the 25.x % limit.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:16 pm 

Is Cata's aftermath actually considered Equipment haste here though? I could have sworn someone who has been an Apoc user on this server for quite a while informed me that it wasn't Equipment haste, but instead JA or magic? My memory is a bit fuzzy on which exact type of haste they said it was on Nasomi, but I'm aware it's supposed to be equipment haste if it's retail accurate. If it's retail accurate, then it's a shame we can't get onyx cuisses here currently to use for aftermath set over dusk legs. But yeah this set is basically identical to my aftermath set on my other server minus Ninurta's :P

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:56 pm 

Ive always been told it was magic haste on private servers, Ill go out and do some tests on drk/drg with wyvern earring next time I gear up drk.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:57 am 

It applies as equipment haste to attack speed, which is capped at the right level of 25.xx%, but it also stretches further to recast timers. I don't know much about coding but I suspect that there is a separate cap on melee attack speed, which is applied properly. However, the extra haste from Catastrophe does extend to timers like Utsusemi and other spells. Sly may be correct in that it is magic haste, but the cap on melee speed justifies the use of the aftermath set to maximize your damage.

https://www.topshelf.team/
2017 TS Fantasy Football Champion