Lobby: Up
Online: 43
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Tips and Tricks
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:50 pm 

I wanted to start a tips & tricks thread for little things you have learned along the way that might help a newcomer or even a veteran. Please chip in with anything that might contribute to the community.

1. If possible, dual box. It's fun on bst as you can tackle even more obstacles plus you can use it to help level less than desirable party jobs.
2. Bst is meant to be a nice fun job. It's not about the race to the finish but the scenery along the way. So don't try to be Superman and take on all VTs. Go find places that give a nice gil/xp grab. Killing spiders that only give 50-75xp will also build up that bank account.
3. Bst/??? and Rdm/Bst makes a power couple from my experience. Once you get gravity, it's game over. It seems like mobs melt under the evasion down. Add in paralyze, dia, blind, and slow...phew.
4. Learn the types of mobs. What is strong against another and find places where you have pets that are strong against the prey. When you killer passive procs and your pet is procing on the mobs as well. It works as a nice paralyze for you. It will save on having to heal and buy pet treats so often.
5. Keep your ax skill and scythe skills maxed at all times. Even if you are taking on the EP xp route...take the time in the middle to beat up on some T mobs to max out then go back to EP. You do not want to fall behind on your skillups.
6. It is actually beneficial to NOT have the best gear. As you level up, splurge on Charm gear but everything else. Just get enough to get by. You do not want to be stronger than your pets. At 75 with all the money you have saved along the way on cheap gear...then you can splurge and get the good stuff. Save your gil!!!!!
7. You will have an abundance of seals. You get tired of leveling. Go solo/dual box some BCNMS. It will give you something new with the chance of getting some nice money makers.

Please please add on to this list with some tips/tricks you have learned along the way. If you think there are better ways to do things, please let us know! I want to get the Bst community talking again and get some great advice going. If you think I have terrible advice above, please explain why because maybe I have not learned a better way myself. I would love to grow as a player!

Post subject: Re: Tips and Tricks
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:05 pm 

Agreed on most points, especially how amazing RDM/BST is. I have some differences regarding the following:

-I'm pretty sure gravity doesn't affect evasion on Nasomi, though I may be mistaken and have not tested this myself
-scythe skill is fun to have, but I consider it optional. TBH mine's not even capped and I've been 75 for about 2 years :? The risk with using it while xping is that it pulls a lot of hate, especially on crits
-while soloing/duoing, I totally agree to focus on having good CHR gear. Also go with any enmity- and evasion+ stuff you can find (crow is a must have). But if you're going to xp in a party or with a group of BST, don't show up meleeing in CHR gear

I've got a bunch of ideas for this thread, including how I do some of my macros, so I'll update when I have more time. Here's an example of my Call Beast macro:

/equip hands "Monster gloves" (this is only relevant for 75+ ofc)
/equip ammo "Fish oil broth" <wait 1> (I have preset lines with various jug types and paste them in depending on which I'm carrying)
/ja "Call beast" <me> <wait 1>
/pet Fight <t> (I do this because it's often the case that we'll have to call a jugpet in the heat of the moment and it saves a moment of scrambling with macros)
/equipset [melee/evasion set]

I also do things like /echo <pettp> on various commands so I know how much TP my pets have. Especially handy with the /fight macro.

Great thread idea!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:50 pm 

I almost put Crow gear in the original post it is amazing gear and a must have as a bst! Also, at lower levels if you sub /whm then a healer's earring will give -enmity to help as well.

Anyone playing as /BST should look into the Trimmer's earring I believe. +5 accuracy on an earring! NICE!!

As far as gravity goes it could be complete coincidence on my part as well. Since when I got it, it meant I leveled and my EM-T just went to DC-EM. So my accuracy automatically got better and I could have attributed that to the evasion down that went with gravity in the original game.

I was playing last night and I remember some tips that have helped me along the way, so I will add them now.

1. Plan ahead! When going to a new map use your widescan and find out where your pets spawn and where your prey spawns. Make a killing path that will keep the mobs flowing the maximum farm/xp gain. It takes about 5-10 minutes to do but trust me, it pays off. It keeps you from running around trying to remember when you last killed a mob. Know your path and stick to it.

2. This leads into - have an escape plan. Read lolBST macro above. It's perfect for this. You never know when you need to have a jug pet ready to be used at any given second. Have a macro ready for it! It can save your life. No one wants to regain 2,500xp you lost because you died. So know where the closest zone is and have a jug pet ready to be called to either salvage the fight or give you time to use a warp scroll.

3. The typical BST player is a different breed than most FFXI players. Join up with them when you can and duo/trio. Build relationships with other BSTs. Bst players tend to like "me" time and we can get bored. So if you need help just ask!!! Most BSTs are willing to help out and we definitely like a challenge.

4. Do not be afraid to use /macro book # and /macro set #. I tend to have my heals and enfeebs in a different set than my bst commands. Instead of having to switch through each set to get to the right one, build it into a macro so at a touch of a button it automatically switches to the correct one.

5. Nasomi things - DC mobs does not always mean DC mobs lol. I typically will start my chains with 1-3 DCs and finish off with a T-VT. My T-VT mob will still get a chain 1-2 bonus to it. Plus the benefit is you can build pet TP on the DC mobs so when you take on the T you can sic it at the start and just go off!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:52 pm 

lolBST wrote:
Agreed on most points, especially how amazing RDM/BST is. I have some differences regarding the following:

-I'm pretty sure gravity doesn't affect evasion on Nasomi, though I may be mistaken and have not tested this myself
-scythe skill is fun to have, but I consider it optional. TBH mine's not even capped and I've been 75 for about 2 years :? The risk with using it while xping is that it pulls a lot of hate, especially on crits
-while soloing/duoing, I totally agree to focus on having good CHR gear. Also go with any enmity- and evasion+ stuff you can find (crow is a must have). But if you're going to xp in a party or with a group of BST, don't show up meleeing in CHR gear

I've got a bunch of ideas for this thread, including how I do some of my macros, so I'll update when I have more time. Here's an example of my Call Beast macro:

/equip ammo "Fish oil broth" <wait 1> (I have preset lines with various jug types and paste them in depending on which I'm carrying)
/pet Fight <t> (I do this because it's often the case that we'll have to call a jugpet in the heat of the moment and it saves a moment of scrambling with macros)

I also do things like /echo <pettp> on various commands so I know how much TP my pets have. Especially handy with the /fight macro.

Great thread idea!

I would love to see your macros. I had a beautiful setup on my main lvl 70 bst, however, when I finally figured out what was causing me to not be able to make an Alt...it erased all my macros and I have been to dejected to try and remember them all.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:49 am 

Sure! I'm putting off work for a minute so I can share some other things I do that I can remember.

• /pet Fight <stnpc> (the <stnpc> part is select target NPC and lets you choose which mob instead of defaulting to what's already selected)
  • under my Charm macro is my Light/Chat/Iridal staff macro. If I need to ensure I land the next charm I hold L2, press down on the d-pad, and use that one. It equips my CHR gear, the staff, and also does a /ja Charm <stnpc> so that I'm ready to select my pet even if I'm engaged
  • If you're going to leave a pet, consider using Sic first if it's not going to despawn. Mischarming on a former pet with TP guarantees you're gonna get TPed in the face, which can be insta-death with things like scorpions
  • Tame is modified by INT - gear appropriately
  • Reward is modified by MNK - gear appropriately
  • Almost all my macros include /equipset swaps for the /ja or whatever, and then an /equipset swap back to melee gear afterwards. My solo melee stuff tends to have better survivability than the CHR set, so it ensures I'm wearing that as much as possible
  • My Call Beast macro has a variety of jug macro lines already written up so I can just paste in Fish Oil Broth or Seedbed Soil or Warm Meat Broth when I'm using one over the other
  • If you use Heel at least ~38 yalms away (not exact, but that's close enough) from your pet, it'll teleport to you. It's a #nasomithings issue that's very handy for BCNMs in particular, but also for when you forget that you used Stay and don't need to wait for your pet to run half way across the zone back to you
  • Order of my macros for upper palette (CTRL): Charm, Fight, Sic, Heel, Stay, Reward, Tame, Call Beast, Leave. I throw a gap in there so that Tame, Call Beast, and Leave are on the right side. That makes it easy for me to hit Leave, then only click to the right once to hit Charm again if I need to refresh it
  • I keep my L2 (CTRL) macro palette focused on charm-related and equipment-related macros. The R2 (ALT) macro palette is designated mainly for spells, weapon skills, and things like that
  • Depending on the macro set I might have a variety of weapon/gear options in the macro set below my main one. Typical ones I have are Rune Axes, Zoraal Ja axe, scythe, gaudy harness

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:06 pm 

lolBST wrote:
Sure! I'm putting off work for a minute so I can share some other things I do that I can remember.

• /pet Fight <stnpc> (the <stnpc> part is select target NPC and lets you choose which mob instead of defaulting to what's already selected)
  • under my Charm macro is my Light/Chat/Iridal staff macro. If I need to ensure I land the next charm I hold L2, press down on the d-pad, and use that one. It equips my CHR gear, the staff, and also does a /ja Charm <stnpc> so that I'm ready to select my pet even if I'm engaged
  • If you're going to leave a pet, consider using Sic first if it's not going to despawn. Mischarming on a former pet with TP guarantees you're gonna get TPed in the face, which can be insta-death with things like scorpions
  • Tame is modified by INT - gear appropriately
  • Reward is modified by MNK - gear appropriately
  • Almost all my macros include /equipset swaps for the /ja or whatever, and then an /equipset swap back to melee gear afterwards. My solo melee stuff tends to have better survivability than the CHR set, so it ensures I'm wearing that as much as possible
  • My Call Beast macro has a variety of jug macro lines already written up so I can just paste in Fish Oil Broth or Seedbed Soil or Warm Meat Broth when I'm using one over the other
  • If you use Heel at least ~38 yalms away (not exact, but that's close enough) from your pet, it'll teleport to you. It's a #nasomithings issue that's very handy for BCNMs in particular, but also for when you forget that you used Stay and don't need to wait for your pet to run half way across the zone back to you
  • Order of my macros for upper palette (CTRL): Charm, Fight, Sic, Heel, Stay, Reward, Tame, Call Beast, Leave. I throw a gap in there so that Tame, Call Beast, and Leave are on the right side. That makes it easy for me to hit Leave, then only click to the right once to hit Charm again if I need to refresh it
  • I keep my L2 (CTRL) macro palette focused on charm-related and equipment-related macros. The R2 (ALT) macro palette is designated mainly for spells, weapon skills, and things like that
  • Depending on the macro set I might have a variety of weapon/gear options in the macro set below my main one. Typical ones I have are Rune Axes, Zoraal Ja axe, scythe, gaudy harness

I have a question about Stay. Do you use it immediately after a fight and then once you get to the next mob, /heel? I honestly forgot about stay and never use it but if it helps heal the mob then I need to start using it.

On the heel comment above, I have found that as long as you see your pets health bar, when you use heel it will run back to you. However, if you get just far enough away where the health bar disappears then it will teleport to you. That has always been my gauge on it lol.

By the way thank you for your input. I have already changed a couple things on my BST per your suggestion to help it run more smoothly.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:38 pm 

On Nasomi Stay doesn't heal a pet so I don't use it for that purpose. It also shares its timer with Heel and is kind of janky that way. Also, I've found that there's a consistent bug where I'll tell my pet to Stay, but if a mob is hammering on it, the pet will eventually Heel on its own. It's not a big deal, but definitely annoying.

Relatedly, pets only attack the one mob you tell them to, whereas on retail hate would bounce around and they'd attack multiple things at once. I prefer Nasomi's way, tbh.

As for the Heel teleport, you should be able to see that it'll do that somewhere around 38+ yalms. Let me know if it's different for you, though. But if you go by the health bar disappearing, that's 50 yalms so it potentially means more time for your pet to be getting hit while you run to an appropriate range.

Glad to be a help! It's fun to nerd about BST stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:01 pm 

Just adding small info that most established Bst will know but for those entering. Once you obtain "Leave" at 35. Make the most of it. If you gear can afford you charming "T" mobs to use at pets then you can have them help fight next to you then use "Leave" when the mob you are killing is low on health and finish it off on your own.

On camps where you are using DC pets. Make sure to constantly swap out pets after each fight. Allow them to regen back up to 100% health so you are not killing of your pet supply and having to wait for them to respawn.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:18 pm 

lolBST wrote:

Great thread idea!

Great news, went through RDM thread as I am leveling it as well. They just updated the Gravity thread they had with new information. It looks like it has been tested and is indeed adding eva - onto the mob! So I will be adding it back into the rotation.