Lobby: Up
Online: 32
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:11 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:42 pm 

Hey all. I have never played BST but I'm thinking of giving it a try. Ive looked up guides but they mostly talk about equipment and where to solo. I have some much more basic questions just about the mechanics of playing BST.

What level mobs are you targeting for fights and for charms? (I.e. EM, DC, etc)

How important is monster signa? Something I need right at 18?

How does a typical fight go? You charm a pet with +CHR gear on, then swap to a melee gearset and both you and your pet attack a second mob? Rinse and repeat?

Anything else noobish I should know?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:09 pm 

Quote:
What level mobs are you targeting for fights and for charms? (I.e. EM, DC, etc)

Traditionally, BST has aimed for EM pets against T targets when solo. Plan to die regularly going this route as your charm WILL fail at some point and an EM pet and a T mob will murder you quickly.

Things that self destruct like bombs or goblins or when duoing, you may aim higher than T at times.

Personally, I usually preferred to go the other way and grab an EM pet and slaughter EM, DC, and EP things for quicker, safer xp when solo and treat it like a mix of farming an xp. Low gil/hr generally, not great xp/hr, but the combination was always nice.

Quote:
How important is monster signa? Something I need right at 18?

Pretty important, but you can get away without it if you feel like your charms are landing OK. Especially if your solo, as then you're only gimping yourself. I mostly will charm with my axe still equipped if I have TP already and only switch if I mischarm and need to be sure to land it the 2nd time, or if I have 0 TP anyways.

Quote:
How does a typical fight go? You charm a pet with +CHR gear on, then swap to a melee gearset and both you and your pet attack a second mob? Rinse and repeat?

Generally, yes. But this can vary by level and target. Early on you're just standing there waiting a lot as the pet gets aggro built up before it's safe for you to attack. You also probably won't have much gear swapping to do early on. At later levels you may also find that it takes two pets to kill a target solo, in which case you may again find yourself standing around a lot so that your new pet will be able to easily take aggro.

Quote:
Anything else noobish I should know?

There are exceptions to everything above. :)

Bring the best jugs you can when in a standard party and best gear you can so you don't make us look bad!

Akamochi is your going to be your main food, as it will also buff your pet. It's found under rice dishes and is somewhere around 11-12k a stack I think. 30 minute food that gives +ACC and +ATK. If you feel like your CHR is hurting, you can opt for CHR food. I've never used any.

Join another BST whenever possible. Soloing get's old fast. :)

Grab me in game and I can give you a pearl to the pet LS.

Edit: formatting

BST75 BRD46 RNG12 SAM71
NIN37 DRG60 SMN70 BLU15
DRK0 PUP0

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:47 pm 

I have a noob question for BST. On classic server, BST as a subjob let you charm as high as you had BST leveled. If you had BST at 75, you could sub it on any job and charm well 1-75. Is it bugged on this server? I had bst subbed on my 30 THF and my BST is only 16 yet I was able to charm for full duration mobs that were 25-27.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:28 pm 

Wal wrote:
I have a noob question for BST. On classic server, BST as a subjob let you charm as high as you had BST leveled. If you had BST at 75, you could sub it on any job and charm well 1-75. Is it bugged on this server? I had bst subbed on my 30 THF and my BST is only 16 yet I was able to charm for full duration mobs that were 25-27.

It's the percentage chance of charm landing, not the duration, that differs. If you could manage to charm something with a 75Anything/1bst that was level 40, you'd get the full 30 mins because it was a too weak. Duration will always be the monster's con to your level.