Lobby: Up
Online: 50
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:25 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: First timer
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:17 pm 

So, after joining the server I made a decision to try all the jobs that I never experienced in retail. The bard class was first on my list as it looked like the most fun coupled with potential fast party invites. So naturally I leveled WHM up to 30 and unlocked the class. Quickly did I realize that leveling it past level 10 would take quite a gil investment and for the past two weeks I've been cranking out my fishing skill to fund this class.
With all that being said, I'm at a point where I can start leveling it again and hoping anyone has any sage advice about instruments. The guide I'm using as reference has me a bit confused particularly when its going through the list of instruments. Here is an excerpt from it, "lvl 14 Harp +1 (Minne+2; Staple harp for Paeon. (Also for Minne should you need to use it.))" Can anyone explain why a harp that gives +2 to Minne would be used for Paeon? Is there something I'm not seeing? Any input and advice will be well appreciated.

*Reference guide*
http://ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Bard ... _and_Armor

Post subject: Re: First timer
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:51 pm 

It recommends that for the larger range. Usually you’re trying to hit the whole party with Paeon to heal up. we

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:39 pm 

Harp gives you more range than Wind Instrument. I'm pretty sure it's 2.0 extra making it 11.9 vs 9.9 for Wind Instruments(100% on this range). You generally want to get any instruments with +2 to songs you use in exp.

I need my privacy, I need some signs please,
You're all too loud you don't speak quietly, opinions violently.
Deft/Drop

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:15 am 

Oh okay, that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up. There is always some subtle nuance with this game.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:17 pm 

On retail, using a string instrument increases the aoe radius of buff songs (and maybe horde lullaby) based on your string skill and which song you're doing, up to a maximum of 20' -- double the base radius. At 225 string skill (the unmerited cap at 75) Ballad 1 sung with String has an area of 20', while Ballad 2 is only 13'.

Meanwhile, wind instruments instead get a macc bonus for debuffs; the only reference I can find in english says it's 1 macc per 3 wind skill, stacking on top of the baseline 1 macc per 1 singing skill. If you aren't going to just be a buff bot, you're going to want to mostly keep your wind skill up and stack CHA so you can stick your debuffs for full duration.

The +song effect bonuses on instruments generally affect song potency rather than accuracy or radius. +Paeon increases the strength of the regen by 1 HP/tick, +Lullaby increases the duration by 3s, etc.

That said, I haven't played bard enough on Nasomi to say what server-specific differences/bugs there might be.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:25 pm 

Do the utsusemi quest and level NIN to 12... and then never sub anything else all the way to 75 for XP.

The guide is recommending stringed instruments because of the wider range, but honestly, I don't think I used a string instrument in my entire time XP'ing. I eventually started using one when I was casting Ballad so that I could cap the skill, but it was really unnecessary.

Eventually, there's a therenody +3 one that I use now. that's about it.

Enjoy! You're right, the fast invites make it a fun thing to level. And, in reality, it's one of the cheapest jobs to first level to 75. You really just need an instrument for minuet, march, madrigal, elegy, and requiem to XP all the way to 75.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:44 pm 

Wolffhardt wrote:
You really just need an instrument for minuet, march, madrigal, elegy, and requiem to XP all the way to 75.

Get Mary's Horn for Lullaby too. It's cheap, worth it, and more important than requiem imo.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:02 am 

I admit, I forgot Lullaby. I didn’t have one for Req, lol, I was just trying to give advice but forgot a far more important one.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:33 pm 

Phersulion wrote:
Quickly did I realize that leveling it past level 10 would take quite a gil investment

I realize it's probably a lot of gil for a new player with only a 30whm, but BRD is a pretty cheap job to level compared to most but there's definitely some big early expenses if you want to do it right. Make sure you check vendor song prices before just buying them on AH. Some of the low level songs used to be marked up significantly (it's been a while since I checked though).

Wolffhardt wrote:
Do the utsusemi quest and level NIN to 12... and then never sub anything else all the way to 75 for XP.

Definitely get your /NIN sub as you will be expected to pull in every party, but please don't be one of those people that subs /12NIN all the way. NIN get's invites pretty quickly as well, so it shouldn't be too hard or too costly at the low levels to just keep your sub properly leveled. It'll be useful for just about every job at some point anyways. BRD also isn't an excuse to wear level 1 RSE all the way up. You don't need HQ best in slot gear all the time, but you need to put in reasonable effort. BRD will certainly get away with lagging behind on gear more than another job will though.

GL and may the invites rain down upon thee.

BST75 BRD46 RNG12 SAM71
NIN37 DRG60 SMN70 BLU15
DRK0 PUP0

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:40 pm 

It's literally pointless to level NIN past 12 until 74. You aren't benefitting from enhanced dual wield or subtle blow. Feel free to take it to level 20, and get the 30 extra HP if you wish... but I wouldn't really bother Otherwise, if funds are limited, this is not good advice.