Online: 59
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ranger dead?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:24 pm 

Hi,

I miss playing RNG sometimes and was wondering if they are still used end-game ... sometimes? Rarely?

Thanks.

~Rubicmage
Leveling RDM, WHM, BLM, NIN
Taru | Rank 1 Bastok | [ ] Sky / [ ] Sea

Post subject: Re: Ranger dead?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:49 pm 

They still got a little bit of use left to em. It's going to depend alot on the rng gear vs every other dps's gear. They can still widescan which is kind of helpful in a few limited areas. They can still do a little dmg from a distance which can be a little useful. The can still shadowbind which.... I think may only be useful for one or 2 things really.... Afaik a rng with some move speed and a rdm can still kit a few things. Probably be a different build for it since the nerf, but that's just theorycraft, I doubt it'd ever make meta.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:24 am 

RNG is deader than dead unless you're doing OWNMs and don't want to level BLM.

Signed,
Someone who for some reason has a level 75 RNG on this server.

http://rfklinkshell.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:53 am 

If I had to choose between a geared up rng and a semi-gimpy war, I'd choose the rng. Just my opinion though.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:45 am 

The_Carrot wrote:
If I had to choose between a geared up rng and a semi-gimpy war, I'd choose the rng. Just my opinion though.

so the party can spend most of the time chasing after the mob when the rng pulls aggro?

I'll pass

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:26 pm 

RNG and BST are the only tier 0 jobs, The end.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:08 pm 

Did RNG get hit hard? Yes. Is it now dead? Depends on how you define dead. It used to be king of the server so people focus on what it is compared to what it was and that makes it seem dead. In reality, RNG does suck for merits BUT has utility at some endgame things like at JoL, Khim, KS 99 Wyrm etc. The ppl that are saying it has no use either don't do these events or have like 6 relics and hyper-optimize right past it. We have a relic RNG who still uses the job over his other well-geared jobs depending on the situation. Admittedly, The relic is a pretty big part of this due to the nature of Coronach's enmity control. But if you really like the job you can still make it work.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:38 pm 

Dodi wrote:
It used to be king of the server

No, it was just super easy to get to 75 because Rivern A01 PTs and it dealt comparable damage to other DDs. DRK was the king with 3min Last Resort, after that was fixed SAM took over.

Dodi wrote:
The ppl that are saying it has no use either don't do these events or have like 6 relics and hyper-optimize right past it.

Nah, other jobs are much easier to play around when they inevitably pull hate. Clean and efficient wins every time.

Dodi wrote:
The relic is a pretty big part of this due to the nature of Coronach's enmity control. But if you really like the job you can still make it work.

As someone with an Annihilator, I hardly ever use it as I have other DDs that do more damage with less hassle. And no I don't have relics for all of those jobs, in fact only 1(SAM). Being able to stand outside AoE on mobs like Khim/Cerb were one of it's main advantages, now you lose 30% damage and even more accuracy. Hard pass.

I need my privacy, I need some signs please,
You're all too loud you don't speak quietly, opinions violently.
Deft/Drop

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:03 pm 

Kazen wrote:
Dodi wrote:
The ppl that are saying it has no use either don't do these events or have like 6 relics and hyper-optimize right past it.

Nah, other jobs are much easier to play around when they inevitably pull hate. Clean and efficient wins every time.

Like I said, you are optimizing. A ls with well-geared and merited members completes any content on this server easily. Our ls doesn't have nearly as many relics as your ls but we're beating Khim with glorified holding parties, beating Vrtra w/o death, killing JoL in half the time it takes to kill the add waves. Not much on this server is hard at this point. If you want max efficiency then don't bring it. But it's not like it handicaps your ability to complete content if someone wants to play the job. Ain't hurtin' us.

Kazen wrote:
Dodi wrote:
The relic is a pretty big part of this due to the nature of Coronach's enmity control. But if you really like the job you can still make it work.

As someone with an Annihilator, I hardly ever use it as I have other DDs that do more damage with less hassle. And no I don't have relics for all of those jobs, in fact only 1(SAM). Being able to stand outside AoE on mobs like Khim/Cerb were one of it's main advantages, now you lose 30% damage and even more accuracy. Hard pass.

Can't comment on Cerb but RNG works just fine at Khim and damage penalty is minimal if you know where to stand. If the guy had a SMN it would probably be more efficient, but we aren't sad when he brings his RNG.

Bottom line is that the job is still playable if you enjoy the job. It took a hit, but ppl calling it tier 0 are overstating its demise.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:17 pm 

Something is tier 0 when another job does everything better. As for rng? Almost every DD does it better in the few fights where kiting (KB)was optimal or distance tanking (JoL), rng now has to stand far to near the monster.

Sadly it’s just not optimal and has nothing to do with relics, every aspect of the job is done better by another job.

Today I watched a pup with rng frame in lesser collibri pt stand point blank and churn out 60dmg auto attacks and 160 dmg ranged attacks with its pet. Here’s the new RNG folks.

Edit: take it to 60 to throw gil at ownm’s, it’s ok at that. But blm does it for free.