Lobby: Up
Online: 59
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bow vs Crossbow
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:58 pm 

On this server which is preferred? I'm assuming Crossbow due to different bolt types, but I'm also not too familiar with Ranger in general. Am I mistaken and bow is actually superior?

Post subject: Re: Bow vs Crossbow
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:30 am 

My understanding thus far is that longbows are slow, high damage weapons preferred for using Barrage and Weapon Skills, while shortbows are the middle ground and crossbows are fast and low damage. Training crossbows (Marksmanship) on Ranger allows you to have good accuracy when you use crossbows/guns on WAR/THF/COR/etc, which is cool. But then there's the availability of actual good weapons, which ones are obtainable and not NMs farmed to hell, etc.

I would use whatever ranged weapon is available to you with the highest DPS (see ffxiclopedia) until you're rugged enough to know what you want.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:15 am 

At lower levels Marksmanship does great damage in exp, which goes for Warriors, Thieves and Dark Knights as well. Acid bolts proc a 12.5% defense reduction that stacks with Dia, making your whole party stronger. This effect also overwrites Cocoon from crawlers and Scissor Guard from crabs. As a Ranger, you will also do great damage using the traditional bow lineup: Power Bow +1, Great Bow +1, Battle Bow +1, War Bow +1, Eurytos' Bow. Either choice is a good one, and anyone taking Ranger seriously should have both options available to them, depending on what you're fighting and your party's capabilities.

The only time guns are effective in exp, in my opinion, is from 50-55, when Silver Bullets become available. Unlike bows, guns draw most of their damage from their ammo. Silver Bullets are used at 75 and are extremely powerful at their relatively low level of access. For this level range, before the Eurytos' Bow, a gun Ranger can be exceptionally powerful. However, you will still do great damage with a War Bow +1 during these same levels, so there is no real need to switch.

If I were starting Ranger again, I would use a crossbow and bolts until the mid 30's and switch to bows full time at level 40, when Scorpion Arrows become available. Always take the time to farm and buy the HQ versions of your weapons, as the benefits from a HQ bow/crossbow are immense when compared to a normal melee weapon. If you are using a crossbow, make sure to macro in your highest damage bolt for your weapon skills. For example, at 40 you would be TPing with Holy Bolts and switching to Mythril Bolts in your weapon skills.

https://www.topshelf.team/
2017 TS Fantasy Football Champion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:23 pm 

Wow. These have been super helpful, thank you guys so much!

Kind of glad that bows are so viable. I like crossbows but I prefer using bows myself. Though funny thing is I'm also playing war and thf both so fun times all around haha.