Lobby: Up
Online: 61
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:49 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:11 am 

So, enmity does NOT work how I thought it did. Seems like on some fights, Jailer of Prudence for example, I can not REMOTELY do any consistent damage without getting hate. I disengage for 30 secs-1 min at a time and then do one WS, it turns on me. Anyone have advice on how to handle enmity properly??

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:20 am 

Sub Ninja, ride Seigan+Third Eye. Enmity isn't 100% accurate but if you are pulling hate after 1 WS, that's a problem with your tanks.

Its very easy to cap enmity as a DD and when you do, any action you do will peel aggro from the tanks unless you afk for 5+ minutes or zone. Logging and dying don't reset enmity fully it seems.

Note: A lot of endgame isn't DD friendly, especially sea. Maybe bring a different job, not everything is meant to be fought the same way.

I need my privacy, I need some signs please,
You're all too loud you don't speak quietly, opinions violently.
Deft/Drop

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:19 am 

Kazen wrote:
Sub Ninja, ride Seigan+Third Eye. Enmity isn't 100% accurate but if you are pulling hate after 1 WS, that's a problem with your tanks.

Its very easy to cap enmity as a DD and when you do, any action you do will peel aggro from the tanks unless you afk for 5+ minutes or zone. Logging and dying don't reset enmity fully it seems.

Note: A lot of endgame isn't DD friendly, especially sea. Maybe bring a different job, not everything is meant to be fought the same way.

i can confirm logging or other helm has no effect on enmity.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:05 am 

Kazen wrote:

Makes sense. Sometimes it just feels broken or I’m missing something. I should seigan more often. Thanks for the reply

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:19 pm 

Could sam/thf and sata close a nice light or dark onto your tank, then they get the aggro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:12 am 

Gamtrex does pretty good without arhats, he's straight tanked plenty of higher up things for us on sam/nin. I'm still learning some things from him, but before he took a break from sam to finish bst it was neat to see him say "add another NM to the list of things I can tank on sam" ever other week or so. He's straight tanked about all of the sky NMs. We're about ready to have him try to tank suzaku and genbu and possibly even byakko. I'm still on the fence about seiryu, but once we've cleaned out the treasure pool on it, may throw him at it just to see what he can do. Sams are suprisingly hard to kill tho.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:23 pm 

The_Carrot wrote:
Gamtrex does pretty good without arhats, he's straight tanked plenty of higher up things for us on sam/nin. I'm still learning some things from him, but before he took a break from sam to finish bst it was neat to see him say "add another NM to the list of things I can tank on sam" ever other week or so. He's straight tanked about all of the sky NMs. We're about ready to have him try to tank suzaku and genbu and possibly even byakko. I'm still on the fence about seiryu, but once we've cleaned out the treasure pool on it, may throw him at it just to see what he can do. Sams are suprisingly hard to kill tho.

I've done solid stretches of tanking on Kirin as SAM/NIN. He literally can't hit me. I eventually end up dying to breath damage though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:32 pm 

Ghoulbath wrote:
So, enmity does NOT work how I thought it did. Seems like on some fights, Jailer of Prudence for example, I can not REMOTELY do any consistent damage without getting hate. I disengage for 30 secs-1 min at a time and then do one WS, it turns on me. Anyone have advice on how to handle enmity properly??

My reply is the simplest. Samurais kill so damn fast that the mob doesn't have the time to kill them. Imagine a 6/6 Lamia camp and 3 of the 6 are Sams in a no-tank party. It brings a whole new meaning to the word decimate.

Peace!

~Rubicmage
Leveling RDM, WHM, BLM, NIN
Taru | Rank 1 Bastok | [ ] Sky / [ ] Sea

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:35 pm 

You can survive and tank a lot of things for a long time as sam with some good support. Prudence is not one of them. Your tanks will not establish significant enough hate to keep it off you at all because of the nature of that fight and it will kill you extremely quickly after you've pulled hate. You'd live longer against byakko or kirin than prudence.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:58 pm 

Dodi wrote:
The_Carrot wrote:

I've done solid stretches of tanking on Kirin as SAM/NIN. He literally can't hit me. I eventually end up dying to breath damage though.

None of the sky gods should be of particular difficulty for a SAM/NIN to tank. The only possible exception is a badly timed triple attack back to back on byakko can be a quick death. If you have a decent number of stuns though, through spells or shield/weapon/sword bashes, it shouldn't happen very often.