Lobby: Up
Online: 52
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:20 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:33 pm 

I know this game is old and maybe I could find this answer by googling harder, but iv looked and not found a satisfactory answer so I’m asking here.

While leveling ninja as a tank do most people go with all the evasion they can find in gear, or all the damage they can find and just rely on their shadows. I’m currently only in my 20s and don’t have Utsu:ni so maybe that changes things.

Thanks for the tips!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:29 pm 

twerk wrote:
I know this game is old and maybe I could find this answer by googling harder, but iv looked and not found a satisfactory answer so I’m asking here.

While leveling ninja as a tank do most people go with all the evasion they can find in gear, or all the damage they can find and just rely on their shadows. I’m currently only in my 20s and don’t have Utsu:ni so maybe that changes things.

Thanks for the tips!

Short answer: Both, swap to evasion gear if you're dying

Longer answer: At the lowest levels there's really not much option between the two - the 30s and beyond you get some choice, on things like ochiudo's kote, fuma kyahan, etc., and in the 50s you begin to get major choices, like haubergeon vs. scorp harness. In an ideal world you would have both, but this is probably unrealistically expensive for a new player. In that situation, I would probably opt for damage over evasion - proper casting of shadows will keep you alive quite a long time, and it's perfectly common for people to make groups without any sort of tank class and rely on people as /nin, so you already have a leg up on survivability regardless.

http://rfklinkshell.com/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:29 am 

Up to level 55, it's evasion and accuracy all the way. Afterward, it's all attack and accuracy. This is due to the
fact that RNG's and SAM's will be bouncing hate everywhere, making your effort to keep shadows up pretty easy.
Additionally, you lose enmity with every shadow that goes down. When you're casting Utsusemi, you're not attacking,
and might even be taking a shit ton of damage.

It's around these levels you should only be provoking once per mob, saving the next for the the next mob, which you
should start building enmity on ASAP via kurayami, hojo, (jubaku), and provoke. If you have lost the hate battle with
your heavy DD's, just switch target to the next mob and go to work building hate. Instead of spamming your TP, save
it for a moment when you need to pull hate back, which will likely be in response to Sidewinder or Penta Thrust,
potentially closing a SC.

From 40-55, break open your piggy bank and use the Ni elemental wheel in conjunction with all the INT you can afford.
Most people don't go to these lengths, but it does make a noticeable difference. Shuriken are a great, albeit very expensive,
way to tack on more than a little extra damage to flying things. When their damage ranges fall off, you can opt for Archery
to possibly squeeze in a hit from an incoming pull just before provoke.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:19 am 

Like Cthalupa said, it's situational. Evasion is good, ofc, but you also won't hold hate if you have bad ACC. Whenever you have a slot that can take EVA or ACC or ATT, weigh which one's going to help you most with the mobs you're fighting. I'd order the importance as ACC > EVA > ATT in the earlier levels and then switch the order of EVA and ATT once you get 55+.

Regarding XooZQ's comments, I really don't think it's worth it messing with NIN spells to gain enmity. It works, sure. But it adds the potential of mistiming and having shadows down while casting a feeb that won't stick on an xp mob anyway. I use feeb spells at 75 because I have gear with Ninjutsu skill+, but as I was xping the success rate with spells was so bad as to be totally not worth it. And yeah, you can do the elemental Ni wheel but it's pricey and runs the same risk of messing up Utsu timing for the sake of debatably improved enmity gain.

You didn't ask, but I thought it might be helpful to add a bit of info about Utsusemi:

Pre-37 and Utsu: Ni - it's a bit of a struggle. Trying to tank on Utsu: Ichi alone is ugly. Party with another NIN or WAR/NIN so that you can bounce hate as much as possible.

Once you have Ni, you'll probably be using it a lot because of the quick cast time. I recommend fighting that impulse and honing your timing with using Ichi during challenging fights. Rely on Ichi and then bust out Ni if you need to. That way by the time your shadows from Ni are gone you should have your Ichi timer ready again.

Also remember that Ni overwrites Ichi, but Ichi does not over write Ni. So if you have shadows up and are casting Ichi, prepare to manually wipe them out so that you don't waste your spell.

Regarding timing and Utsusemi, here's a good rule I have for most mobs that do single attacks: Quickly after your shadow count goes from 2 --> 1 start casting Ichi. There are variables involved, but generally you have until the spell bar is up to around 50% (but as low as 40 and as high as 60, due to a variety of possible factors) before Ichi takes effect. That means you have that long to remove your old shadows.

If you've timed it correctly, you'll see your shadow count go from 2 --> 1, then hit Utsu: Ichi, then either see your last shadow disappear from the enemy attack or you'll cancel it yourself, and then Ichi will finish and you'll have 3 fresh shadows. It may sound like a lot, but once you get the rhythm down it feels much more natural. Don't worry if you biff it, though. It happens plenty.

Double attacking and H2H mobs are a different story and are trickier to time. Oh, and regarding provoke just remember that it's a solid spike of hate right away but it degrades really quickly. Try to voke slept or preoccupied mobs only right when you're going to begin hitting them or if another member is about to pull hate. Being 15 seconds into your voke timer and having a mob go after your mage(s) is always a pain.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:33 am 

lolBST wrote:
Regarding XooZQ's comments, I really don't think it's worth it messing with NIN spells to gain enmity. It works, sure. But it adds the potential of mistiming and having shadows down while casting a feeb that won't stick on an xp mob anyway. I use feeb spells at 75 because I have gear with Ninjutsu skill+, but as I was xping the success rate with spells was so bad as to be totally not worth it. And yeah, you can do the elemental Ni wheel but it's pricey and runs the same risk of messing up Utsu timing for the sake of debatably improved enmity gain.

Never had a problem with mistiming, as long as you adjust. The point of it is not that it sticks, but the enmity generated
from the debuff itself. If it sticks, great.

A marked improvement in DPS in this level range is not up for debate. It's a fact. Once you get into the rhythm, it's not
terribly difficult to do properly and consistently.