Lobby: Up
Online: 59
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 6:45 pm 

I've just hit 20 as SMN and am curious...
What i'm supposed to be doing in a party?
So far I've been doing a bit of backup healing, removing poison, a little protectra... and Summoning Garuda to do Aero II on Lizards in the Dunes, just to immediately release her and rest for the next rage. It's feeling a bit underwhelming... I could see perhaps bursting it being useful... but the cooldown seem really long for the meager contribution. How do you guys get the most out of SMN at the lower levels in parties? Any advice for an upcoming SMN on Nasomi?

Thanks~!

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:50 pm 

Hang in there. SMN picks up at 30 with Double Punch, then Rolling Thunder. Between those and Hastega/Double Slap you'll feel much stronger after you get a few more levels.

Make sure you're opening or closing chains with physical BP:Rage if you can.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 8:52 pm 

GamerVoice wrote:
So far I've been doing a bit of backup healing, removing poison, a little protectra... and Summoning Garuda to do Aero II on Lizards in the Dunes, just to immediately release her and rest for the next rage. It's feeling a bit underwhelming... I could see perhaps bursting it being useful... but the cooldown seem really long for the meager contribution. How do you guys get the most out of SMN at the lower levels in parties? Any advice for an upcoming SMN on Nasomi?

Thanks~!

Low level, like many other jobs, there's really not much to do. If you have Fenrir, his low level physical BP Crescent Fang has a pretty potent Paralyze along with some damage. If you don't, I'd just use one of the level 10 physical BP, or magic if you feel better. Other then that, your job is keeping people alive and buffing barspells if applicable, etc.

The above poster mentioned Double Punch at 30, but you actually get Burning Strike, it's baby brother, at 23 - and that's when your damage contribution is a bit more meaningful. You'll exclusively use Ifrit for Burning Strike at 23 > Double Punch at 30 for a long time (Until Shiva's Double Slap at 50). You almost always want to CLOSE a Skillchain, except when there's a competent THF. Google a Skillchain calculator and find out what Burning Strike/Double Punch/Double Slap close, watch your party member's TP. About 2-3 hits from them filling TP, pull out the Summon, and close the SC appropriately for solid damage. If you find yourself waiting around to use BP: Rage, ignore the skillchain and just go when you can.

Rolling Thunder is one of the best DD abilities there is early game when the party is full of melee, it's really strong. AoE Stoneskin and Haste come in the 40s. In KRT my basic rotation was: AoE Haste so RDM saves MP. When DD were getting TP, close with Double Slap to take off a quarter of the mob's health, let Shiva tank a hit or two, then dismiss and rest a tic if you have > 30 seconds on BP: Ward. If not, AoE Rolling Thunder, rest. Repeat. Even with Refresh, this is pretty MP intensive, but rolling 2 Wards and closing a skillchain is your goal - and keeps you REALLY busy.

You repeat that process until 65 when Fenrir gets Eclipse Bite, the only new relevant ability. Fenrir's AoE stat buff lags everyone, so avoid using that when you get it. He has an ACC/EVA move also, but I personally use it so little I can't remember if it also causes lag when it updates the stats - but that may be an option as well. I personally never tested it in XP, you'll have to see how it manages. The job is actually quite busy when played properly and to its fullest extent.

Summoner is still a support job in XP parties above all things, so if your MP is taxed, the first thing you stop doing is BP: Rage until your MP recovers. Keep the buffs up on the actual DDs as much as you can. Try to keep a hMP set and sneak in rest tics whenever you can. I ate Akamochi for DD usually, but in some parties I did use Ginger Cookies to help. Nobody will likely care what the Summoner eats, but I liked seeing 1k Double Slaps and 600k Distortions, which is probably a relic of the past now post-nerf.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 3:19 am 

DuskRequiem wrote:
GamerVoice wrote:

Thanks~!

Low level, like many other jobs, there's really not much to do. If you have Fenrir, his low level physical BP Crescent Fang has a pretty potent Paralyze along with some damage. If you don't, I'd just use one of the level 10 physical BP, or magic if you feel better. Other then that, your job is keeping people alive and buffing barspells if applicable, etc.

The above poster mentioned Double Punch at 30, but you actually get Burning Strike, it's baby brother, at 23 - and that's when your damage contribution is a bit more meaningful. You'll exclusively use Ifrit for Burning Strike at 23 > Double Punch at 30 for a long time (Until Shiva's Double Slap at 50). You almost always want to CLOSE a Skillchain, except when there's a competent THF. Google a Skillchain calculator and find out what Burning Strike/Double Punch/Double Slap close, watch your party member's TP. About 2-3 hits from them filling TP, pull out the Summon, and close the SC appropriately for solid damage. If you find yourself waiting around to use BP: Rage, ignore the skillchain and just go when you can.

Rolling Thunder is one of the best DD abilities there is early game when the party is full of melee, it's really strong. AoE Stoneskin and Haste come in the 40s. In KRT my basic rotation was: AoE Haste so RDM saves MP. When DD were getting TP, close with Double Slap to take off a quarter of the mob's health, let Shiva tank a hit or two, then dismiss and rest a tic if you have > 30 seconds on BP: Ward. If not, AoE Rolling Thunder, rest. Repeat. Even with Refresh, this is pretty MP intensive, but rolling 2 Wards and closing a skillchain is your goal - and keeps you REALLY busy.

You repeat that process until 65 when Fenrir gets Eclipse Bite, the only new relevant ability. Fenrir's AoE stat buff lags everyone, so avoid using that when you get it. He has an ACC/EVA move also, but I personally use it so little I can't remember if it also causes lag when it updates the stats - but that may be an option as well. I personally never tested it in XP, you'll have to see how it manages. The job is actually quite busy when played properly and to its fullest extent.

Summoner is still a support job in XP parties above all things, so if your MP is taxed, the first thing you stop doing is BP: Rage until your MP recovers. Keep the buffs up on the actual DDs as much as you can. Try to keep a hMP set and sneak in rest tics whenever you can. I ate Akamochi for DD usually, but in some parties I did use Ginger Cookies to help. Nobody will likely care what the Summoner eats, but I liked seeing 1k Double Slaps and 600k Distortions, which is probably a relic of the past now post-nerf.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice,
I really appreciate it~!