Lobby: Up
Online: 11
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:23 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:13 am 

I noticed this forum doesnt have a guide for taking on the avatars at 20. Well I tried my tactic from modern retail and it works all the same. So heres some easy tips for getting the avatars.

-have some melon juices
they are very cheap and help for maintaining carbuncle during the fights. I ran an average of 4 per fight, and didnt even need to use them all. Ethers help in a pinch, but shouldnt be needed.
-have aquaveil with capped enhance skill
this is obvious and mandatory, failing to summon carbuncle as a result of getting hit will result in death. Aquaveil only prevents a set amount of damage from interupting, so make sure its reapplied often.

-carbuncle does all the work
you should NEVER hit the avatar once, carbuncle should be the only thing ever hitting the avatars. The reason for this is as long as carbuncle is the only one fighting, the avatar aggros carbuncle instead of you. Your main tactic will be the following.
Prep aquaveil, summon carbuncle, order to attack avatar, use poison nails once, run to entrance while they fight.
once you reach the entrance, carbuncle will die, the avatar will move to attack you at the entrance, resummon carbuncle when you see the avatar on the ramp. Once carbuncle is resummoned he will automatically attack the avatar. Upon dealing damage carbuncle will draw aggro again. Cast poison nails once, move to the avatars spawn point, recast aquaveil and repeat the process again.

use a juice at about 75% mp remaining, and prioritize aquaveil above all else. The idea behind this is you will always be far enough away from the avatar that each time you summon carbuncle, they will fight with you never getting hit. If you ever hit the avatar though, your damage will beon the avatars aggro list and youll get hit after recasting carbuncle. Which means youll take hits until carbuncle draws aggro again. This would kill you, so your better off never attacking with your summoner directly, using only carbuncle.

-if you use astral flow, dont use searing light.
its not worth it, it will not always finish off the avatar, but will leave you without carbuncle. You dont need it, instead use astral flow to alleviate mp drain.

-try to dodge the avatars astral flow.
they will use it, it has aoe, and it hurts. Usually killing carbuncle immediately, but if you can immediately recast carbuncle after it, your good the rest of the fight.

-gear isnt that important
I wore basic level 20 gear for a summoner, anything works really, you can make this easier if you have better gear, but the idea is that you wont be hit anyway.

-dont worry if you fail
melon juice is cheap, you can usually restock plenty before a fight, if your really broke, get orange juice. You merely need a buffer of extra mp because this is an endurance battle. You only need the avatar to die before you run out of mp. Which juice will make that more than possible.

-fight the avatars on their weak days if you can.
ive beaten shiva on iceday, so you can do the fights whenever, but if you want the easiest, do the fight on their elemental weakness day, or on lightsday (which buffs carbuncle). It will primarily make the avatars die faster, and make carbuncle die slower, reducing the strain on your mp. But the same tactic works on anyday, youll just need less juice on the easier days.

-some avatars are easier than others.
ifrit was my easiest, he doesnt have much defense so he goes down fairly quick, titan takes a little longer but generally the same. Garuda has blink so some attacks will just miss. Shiva has ice spikes, which will be annoying, ramuh has aoe so watch out. And I believe leviathan can heal so the fights last longer on those. Longer fights means more mp being drained

hopefully these tips help, contact me in game if you need any extra help. Character name is Zantotaru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:31 am 

Thank you for this post! I'll give it a shot w/o searing light.

Your tactic is pretty much the same I used to fight Shiva.

The Avatar im having the most trouble with in nasomi is Garuda as she heals with whispering wind over and over.

My carbuncle can't do enough damage. You seemed to get thru it okay... So maybe I'll try again. :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:02 pm 

The strategy is cool, but I would highly recommend that if you are planning to take SMN to 75, do not do the mini-avatar fights. Instead, find some folks to help you do the primes so you can keep the mini-tuning forks. The forks allow you to warp to the proto-crystals when you need to do all the avatars again both for fenrir and for your Evoker's Ring.

Also, being able to warp to the locations can be convenient for other things later on, such as using the lightning fork to get to Dragon's Aery.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:16 am 

Just chiming in to say this Carbuncle tanking strategy does indeed work, essentially all you do is keep using Carbuncle with Poison Nails then run off and resummon while keeping a refresh drink active (as mentioned Melon drinks are fine, your perpetuation cost will be 1 which will last the whole battle).

HOWEVER, excerise extreme caution when fighting the healing avatars Garuda and Leviathan as it's likely you won't be able to win alone!
I had a battle where Garuda used Whispering Wind three times each around 25% HP leaving me practically exhausted, forcing me to tactically use Astral Flow/Searing Light when I got her low enough to win.