Online: 66
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:11 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:50 pm 

Aselius wrote:
Yeah blu is useless
Who even wants an aoe tank in dynamis to hold hate on all the adds saving lives and mp, kiting statues for blms to blow up, maybe even solo one of em in the process, mb that light skillchain while ur at it. Oh noes mp is getting low, sucks you have 2 mp drains that can outperform aspir.who cares if u aoe dispelled those statues, you're a useless blue mage. Our mages arent wasting enough mp on sleeps, stoneskins,blinks and healing, stop doing all of those things.

Oh man this limbus has specific damage types on each floorand we got this useless blu who can cover every damage type with us, who's idea was this, anyway?

Our tank is dead guys, wtf is the blue mage tanking for??
Now our whm is oom and this damn blue mage took over healing, someone stop him, hes taking all of our jobs!!

Jk none of this is real, i bring blu to events to hinder my group, sadly enough

Blue obviously isnt useless, it just not working properly, since physical spells are pretty shitty and also not stacking with SA sucks since SA Cannonball was a nice endgame niche blu had to do great damage in certain fights.

I do hope someone that has the knowledge and time gets around to working on blu, im currently leveling it when bored but for now Im just leveling it to have a support type job since its more fun to me than doing like whm rdm or brd lol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:38 am 

Spell Ranges have been adjusted, I'm not sure how accurate some of them are to retail though.
No changes to anything else atm.

Going to have to be more aggressive in my spell casting range now ;p

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:27 am 

It seems to affect all kind of spells actually. Tested with enhancing, enfeebling, elemental, divine, healing and dark magic. The max range for them is now 20.9. Anyone see changes to /ra since yesterday?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:37 pm 

I heard, /ra was still 24.9 from a friend.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:58 am 

I think the range fix is a good sign, and I think the outrage is a bit overblown. It's good to see things starting to get more retail-like with BLU, it gives some hope. The talk of cookie cutter confuses me, considering that is exactly what BLU is here, based largely around a handful of improperly coded magical spells.

As for the thinly veiled insinuations, those are pretty far off base IMO. First, as far as I'm aware RDM still lacks Magic Attack Boost, so either this pro-RDM force has been slacking or the RDMs I know won't shut up about something that's already fixed :lol: and if there was some shadowy "man behind the curtain," they probably would have just fixed the broken multiplier for Mind Blast & Magic Hammer and done something about the made up mods for "breath" spells here. Instead there was a tame fix to spell casting range, which might've just been an easy fix across the board. BLU is still very well positioned here endgame, better than most jobs in fact, and the current boon in the number of players leveling the job is a testament to that.

My stance is to be hopeful for what's to come in the future, and be glad that the change wasn't anywhere near as bad as it could have been.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:26 am 

Physical Magic, AF and 2-Hour not working are pretty substantial things to not have working. If those were working I imagine most of us would be happy with changes to bring it closer to era retail but as it stands, range changes aren't exactly the first thing people think of when they think of what needs to be fixed on blue mage. Not to mention, only one of our merited JA's work. Range was the last thing I thought would be fixed first..

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:38 am 

It's true that there are plenty of things that aren't working, but even with the broken stuff BLU is still in a solid place at endgame: high nuke damage that is very mp efficient (82 MP Mind Blast w/ a hilarious multiplier, less than half the cost of T4), very strong cures , some good support spells, etc. Even with all the broken stuff, endgame blu is better off than a lot of jobs currently, and frankly I've been thinking that something was going to give sooner rather than later, especially with all the new blu/whms rushing to 75. The range fix is a mercy compared to how it could've been. Let's not sit here and pretend that BLU is PUP level useless, even with the range fix.

Do you really think the other abilities will be implemented until the other spells have been fixed? I can't imagine that they will be fixed until the nukes get cut down to size, if only for balance reasons.

Well, something has to be fixed first, and range seems like something fundamental and as good a place to start as any. I'm more glad to know that things are being worked on.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:17 pm 

Myupih wrote:
I think the range fix is a good sign, and I think the outrage is a bit overblown. It's good to see things starting to get more retail-like with BLU, it gives some hope. The talk of cookie cutter confuses me, considering that is exactly what BLU is here, based largely around a handful of improperly coded magical spells.

As for the thinly veiled insinuations, those are pretty far off base IMO. First, as far as I'm aware RDM still lacks Magic Attack Boost, so either this pro-RDM force has been slacking or the RDMs I know won't shut up about something that's already fixed :lol: and if there was some shadowy "man behind the curtain," they probably would have just fixed the broken multiplier for Mind Blast & Magic Hammer and done something about the made up mods for "breath" spells here. Instead there was a tame fix to spell casting range, which might've just been an easy fix across the board. BLU is still very well positioned here endgame, better than most jobs in fact, and the current boon in the number of players leveling the job is a testament to that.

My stance is to be hopeful for what's to come in the future, and be glad that the change wasn't anywhere near as bad as it could have been.

This is what the voice of reason sounds like. :lol:

Let's do the Time Warp again!

New to Nasomi and have a question? PM me, I'd be glad to help!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:46 am 

Eh hate the new ranges. Cant headbutt or Mind blast to my hearts content and gotta aoe in suicide range lol.

Pinecone bomb doesnt work
Marid spell doesnt work (im told)

Warm-up does 10%+ acc, 0% evasion
Feather barrier does 0% evasion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:27 am 

Let me preface this by saying that I love BLU. It was my first job to L75, and I've been taking all of the notes I can.
Here's where BLU is good:

Support spells:
Comes with own self-haste in Refueling, Blink, Stoneskin, AoE Stoneskin via Diamondhide, Feather Tickle is great for reducing TP (Light of Penance, not so much), Feather Barrier is great for an Evasion boost, and you have your drain spells in Blood Drain, Digest, or Blood Saber (for AoE), as well as MP Drainkiss or Magic Hammer for MP drain (so long as they are not undead).
*I also didn't tack on Auto-Refresh, as that costs a lot of slots and points which could be better suited elsewhere.

Offensive spells:
1. Mind Blast with a 5 second cast at 9.9 yalms
2. Heat Breath with a 10 second cast at 11.9 yalms
3. Flying Hip Press with an 8 second cast at 4.9 yalms

For Healing:
Our Magic Fruit costs a smidge more what a Cure 4 would, and can hit upwards to what a Cure 5 would with 500 HPs.

Briefly touched upon for downsides:
Basically only 3 damage spells vs level-equiv or higher enemies.
Our heal spells are party-only. They are unable to be used on people in an alliance or not in your party.
/THF and Sneak/Trick Attack don't work for Phys spells. Furthermore, Phys spells in general do not hit with any form of regularity despite +Acc gear and +Acc (and +Mag acc for kicks) merits.
No AF.

What could be improved:
Currently, 292 is the cap for Blue Magic with merits, and then there's the +5 from relic (not counting maybe getting +4 from the -1 feet with Wyrm Abj) is the only thing we can do to currently bump that up.
I personally would genuinely be happy with being able to buy the L60 AF Magus Jubbah for 1 mil gil for example, for the immediate now, without stressing about the range of so many other spells.

I have faith that our 2 hour will work at some point. Also, that Phys Spells will eventually be addressed. I recall on retail, the big ones were Bludgeon, Death Scissors, Frentic Rip, and Cannonball. Maybe also Disservement? Some things just will never be addressed due to "out of era," like being able to get Fast Cast trait as we do not have access to those zones, but that's life.

For the comment that we could AoE well, and had 2 drains and 2 MP drains... we did. But now, 3 yalms or somesuch to use Blood Drain? It's far less beneficial. Just like Head Butt with the stun being applied is less common as well, and can't be done from 20.9 yalms away. We were gimp-ish and were a Jack-of-Jack-of-all-Trades as it was with that range boost. I realize that only being able to cast heal spells in-party was that way on retail as well and will likely not be changed. That was offset by us doing solid damage be it physical or as a mage. I realize we are not the powerhouse nukers that Black Mages are with sheer damage. We are a less-tanky Red Mage, that can't heal as well, can't solo as well, and our spells can be a lot of work to learn. The counter-argument of, "Why not just play Red Mage, then?" is not applicable. It is a different class entirely.

I have heard there is talk of nerfing our main damage spell, Mind Blast. I see less than zero reason why this should be the case. Even if it is factually true that it can do 2,500+ on VERY SPECIFIC ENEMIES like some Gods, the reality is that a Black Mage can cast another spell from twice the distance away that will mean more damage than our one spell (sure, at the cost of more MP) while we're waiting 30 seconds on our recast timer to do Mind Blast again, at 9.9 yalms. This is not a complaint, merely a logical reason to not change the one great thing about the job.

Last edited by Strael on Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.