Lobby: Up
Online: 61
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:04 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:03 pm 

I feel the task of learning spells is incredibly daunting. My BLU is sitting at 43 with a fair amount of spells for the level... but what spells does one need to actually be useful in an EXP PT? I've always avoided inviting a BLU because to my knowledge they need an insane amount of gear to be able to put out sufficient damage.

Looking for any bit of tips! Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:49 pm 

BLU dmg is pretty poopy until 60. Your physical spells won't do anything with SA, and SACA won't do impressive levels of damage until 60. Anyways, the core spells I've used while leveling were Sandspin, Wild Oats, Cocoon, Head Butt, Sheep Song/Soporific, Wild Carrot, Jet Stream, Refueling, Magic Fruit, Death Scissors/Dimensional Death, Frenetic Rip, Zephyr Mantle, Warm-up, Hysteric Barrage, and Cannonball. Infrasonics and Frost Breath could potentially be useful in Boyahda since Flies and Crawlers are both weak to Ice, but you'd probably either need a NIN or BRD to reduce the mob's resistances to land stuff consistently. Don't have Sea unlocked, so missing those spells. You'll want to have auto-refresh spells and a few Clear Mind spells, too.

I think the biggest problem is that most BLUs I've seen don't play very well. Some spam multihit spells and feed the mobs TP, some just empty their MP bar and then rest a lot, some try to land magical based BLU spells (good luck with that on this server without the appropriate staff, full INT/MND/CHA gear and a parfait), some don't come to group as /THF (don't be that guy), and most don't try to coordinate skill chains with their group. Makes BLU look bad.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:06 am 

Zaroua wrote:
BLU dmg is pretty poopy until 60. Your physical spells won't do anything with SA, and SACA won't do impressive levels of damage until 60. Anyways, the core spells I've used while leveling were Sandspin, Wild Oats, Cocoon, Head Butt, Sheep Song/Soporific, Wild Carrot, Jet Stream, Refueling, Magic Fruit, Death Scissors/Dimensional Death, Frenetic Rip, Zephyr Mantle, Warm-up, Hysteric Barrage, and Cannonball. Infrasonics and Frost Breath could potentially be useful in Boyahda since Flies and Crawlers are both weak to Ice, but you'd probably either need a NIN or BRD to reduce the mob's resistances to land stuff consistently. Don't have Sea unlocked, so missing those spells. You'll want to have auto-refresh spells and a few Clear Mind spells, too.

I think the biggest problem is that most BLUs I've seen don't play very well. Some spam multihit spells and feed the mobs TP, some just empty their MP bar and then rest a lot, some try to land magical based BLU spells (good luck with that on this server without the appropriate staff, full INT/MND/CHA gear and a parfait), some don't come to group as /THF (don't be that guy), and most don't try to coordinate skill chains with their group. Makes BLU look bad.

BLU damage is fine below 60, if you want we can go to 40 or 50 cap and try it out. If you have your heart set on using SA pre-60, use Mandibular Bite, Sickle Slash, or if you're fighting beasts use Uppercut. /THF is good for damage but /NIN is good if your tank is crappy, or you're doing merits, limbus, etc. All "SC coordination" when you're /nin or not using SACA DS/VC, etc. usually involves telling people to not mess up your solo level 2 SCs. I've seen a number of BLUs that are surprised to learn that they can do solo SCs and that is really the way if you're not SACA Death Scissoring etc.Main SCs you will use before 65 are Red Lotus > Jet Stream/Uppercut = Fusion, Red Lotus > Sickle Slash = Gravitation (MB MP Drainkiss, strong vs birds with mp, i.e. lolibri).
You will always want to use appropriate gear for any spell you cast anyway (if you're not swapping gear a lot, do it more), parfait won't make or break your resist rate, and besides Frost Breath's cast time and mp cost would make it pointless to cast in exp anyway. Macc seems fine at 75 for what it's worth. Also some of the best spells are in sea so that's pretty important to have too.

Honestly you should try to get all the spells, just like any other mage. You will be lfp for a bit anyway, don't be gimp! The spells are easier to get now than they ever were, and I don't just mean ToAU spells. I remember trying to learn Jett in 40cap Riverne way back when only to find out it was impossible.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:00 pm 

I'm by no means a BLU expert but my BLU is lvl 59 so I will be speaking from the experience of just leveling one.

For me the best ability has always been Bludgeon. I have all the abilities up to my level and have tried to make them all work during leveling, but the most efficient ability has always been Bludgeon. It is very spammable at only 16 mana and has always done the same or more damage than the other abilities, even against things like Screwdriver on flying mobs. I don't even stack it's WSC stat (CHR) either. I have been playing /NIN while doing the Bludgeon spam. I may have missed a total 3 Bludgeons out of the 1000+ that I've casted since TP gives it accuracy.

The next skill that had useful damage for me was Sickle Slash. That's when /THF became viable with big solo chains from Red Lotus Blade -> SACA Sickle Slash. Up until then, nothing came close to just spamming Bludgeon. Now since I'm sub /THF, I just spam Bludgeon in between SACA Sickle Slash. Can't wait until Dimensional Death so I can swap in STR before SACA.

The other damage skills like Jet Stream, Mandibular Bite and Uppercut always did similar damage to Bludgeon for me and I never had huge hits with SACA with them, they also miss! (yuck). Their mana cost is also substantially higher that it never seemed worth it to me, two Bludgeons would do more than one of those skills.

Don't take my word for it, try it yourself!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:44 pm 

Tenderly wrote:
I'm by no means a BLU expert but my BLU is lvl 59 so I will be speaking from the experience of just leveling one.

For me the best ability has always been Bludgeon. I have all the abilities up to my level and have tried to make them all work during leveling, but the most efficient ability has always been Bludgeon. It is very spammable at only 16 mana and has always done the same or more damage than the other abilities, even against things like Screwdriver on flying mobs. I don't even stack it's WSC stat (CHR) either. I have been playing /NIN while doing the Bludgeon spam. I may have missed a total 3 Bludgeons out of the 1000+ that I've casted since TP gives it accuracy.

The next skill that had useful damage for me was Sickle Slash. That's when /THF became viable with big solo chains from Red Lotus Blade -> SACA Sickle Slash. Up until then, nothing came close to just spamming Bludgeon. Now since I'm sub /THF, I just spam Bludgeon in between SACA Sickle Slash. Can't wait until Dimensional Death so I can swap in STR before SACA.

The other damage skills like Jet Stream, Mandibular Bite and Uppercut always did similar damage to Bludgeon for me and I never had huge hits with SACA with them, they also miss! (yuck). Their mana cost is also substantially higher that it never seemed worth it to me, two Bludgeons would do more than one of those skills.

Don't take my word for it, try it yourself!

Sadly Dimensional Death isn't very good on this server. The accuracy seems very low. However once you get Death Scissors, your SACA will do upwards of 1k if you have TP when you SACA. The big spam spell you'll get soon is Frenetic rip. That'll do on average 300-400 per cast. It's the first of the 'big three' you can get. Also as far as your comment on Bludgeon accuracy. The TP bonus effects of spells don't take effect unless you're under chain affinity.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:35 pm 

Volkaru wrote:
Also as far as your comment on Bludgeon accuracy. The TP bonus effects of spells don't take effect unless you're under chain affinity.

That's what I thought too but Bludgeon has 99.9% accuracy on this server apparently. The only times it would miss was when my TP was super low, so I think it's just bugged, maybe 1 out of 100 Bludgeons miss!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:58 pm 

Tenderly wrote:

That's what I thought too but Bludgeon has 99.9% accuracy on this server apparently. The only times it would miss was when my TP was super low, so I think it's just bugged, maybe 1 out of 100 Bludgeons miss!

It's because it's a three hit spell... you will only fully miss if you whiff all 3 hits, otherwise it will deal less damage. Screwdriver is cool vs pierce weak mobs in theory but it's weak to birds so...

There's really not much reason to cast most single hits if you're not using Sneak Attack while leveling up. SA pairs perfectly with single hits, you don't have to swap out mods for acc, not to mention the crit. Don't forget to use SA spells when CA is down too. Phys spell acc is based on melee acc, so if a spell seems inaccurate you need more acc. Casting in all str is sort of like meleeing in all str :lol:

Also don't just spam bludgeon, it's very mp efficient but you should also do things like RLB > Jet Stream for Fusion etc. Also feeds a lot of tp

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:06 pm 

Myupih wrote:
BLU damage is fine below 60, if you want we can go to 40 or 50 cap and try it out. If you have your heart set on using SA pre-60, use Mandibular Bite, Sickle Slash, or if you're fighting beasts use Uppercut. /THF is good for damage but /NIN is good if your tank is crappy, or you're doing merits, limbus, etc. All "SC coordination" when you're /nin or not using SACA DS/VC, etc. usually involves telling people to not mess up your solo level 2 SCs. I've seen a number of BLUs that are surprised to learn that they can do solo SCs and that is really the way if you're not SACA Death Scissoring etc.Main SCs you will use before 65 are Red Lotus > Jet Stream/Uppercut = Fusion, Red Lotus > Sickle Slash = Gravitation (MB MP Drainkiss, strong vs birds with mp, i.e. lolibri).
You will always want to use appropriate gear for any spell you cast anyway (if you're not swapping gear a lot, do it more), parfait won't make or break your resist rate, and besides Frost Breath's cast time and mp cost would make it pointless to cast in exp anyway. Macc seems fine at 75 for what it's worth. Also some of the best spells are in sea so that's pretty important to have too.

Does SACA Death Scissors with TP (150% I'm guessing) do much damage than solo SC let's say Fast Blade -> SACA Death Scissors with no TP?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:19 pm 

Kumatora wrote:

Does SACA Death Scissors with TP (150% I'm guessing) do much damage than solo SC let's say Fast Blade -> SACA Death Scissors with no TP?

I would say so, the multiplier for DS almost doubles from 0% to 150% (1.5 -> 2.75), and all of that damage would then also get the benefit of SA. Not to mention the chance of whiffing/resisting your opening ws and people messing with your SC.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:27 pm 

Speaking from old knowledge rather than Nasomi experience using /THF for the majority of the time will give you great damage, /NIN really doesn't offer much of anything until later as you generally want to maximise your spells actually hitting.

From levels 1-69
- Use Thief as subjob
- Your bread and butter spells are multihits: Feather Storm/Bludgeon/Jet Stream/Frenetic Rip (in level order)
- Your big damage spells are: Sneak Attack + Screwdriver/Smite of Rage/Uppercut/Mandibular Bite/Sickle Slash/Death Scissors/Spinal Cleave (in level order)
- If you're below 100% TP and not going to use a Weaponskill soon, use Chain Affinity + Sneak Attack + Spell (it should boost the damage regardless of TP)
- Trick attack works too for hate issues

From levels 69+
- By this point you're in TP burn territory and have access to much better DD gear with things getting crazy, use Ninja as subjob
- Your bread and butter spells are still multihits: Frenetic Rip/Hysteric Barrage/Disseverment
- Spam Vorpal Blade as often as you can and use Chain Affinity when its up for your spells

Side notes
- While you can self skillchain and magic burst, it's not always necessarily worth it
- Don't forget the utility spells (Sleeps: Sheep song/Sopoforic) (Dispels: Blank Gaze/Voracious Trunk) (Drain: MP Drainkiss)