Lobby: Up
Online: 60
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:51 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:16 pm 

I'm looking for any tips on how to skill up the puppets magic skill efficiently.

So far the best I've come up with is to just let it happen organically, ensuring the puppet always has enough mp to cast dia. Whenever mp gets low deactivate/activate at full HP and go kill 5-8 more mobs.

But this is quite slow. My level 14ish pups have level 12ish magic skill, no where near the cap of 40ish.

Other things I've tried:

Rdm/pup. Spend all the mp, convert, get the puppet to cast cure via damage gauge.
+ Skill ups seem faster as it appears to count you as a higher level target
- Still have to find a far away mob to deploy/retrieve for every cast
- Just Skilling up, no xp gain.

Anyone else have a non-traditional method they've had success with?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:12 pm 

I'll spend some time testing the Mana booster tonight (supposed to speed up spell casting) but if drum magazine doesn't work I don't have high hopes.

I'll also try to see if cure and dia are on different recasts as per retail or not

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:25 pm 

So I am only lvl 15 still but been strictly soloing and test since this is the job i was waiting for here on nasomi. Mana Booster I can not say if it works or not, it was generally a noticeable difference especially with ice maneuvers up. I am not feeling that here just yet but i havent actually timed with and with out the booster. As for the Dia and Cure thing, they are on seperate timers but linked by the Universal Cool Down, each school has its own cd on top of the ucd (this is in retail as well but less noticeable with optic fibers and booster and job points etc etc)

Also yeah my highest on nasomi is my 34 warrior so i used it to my advantage, went war/pup went to bubu and killed every thing i came across, left my hp at around 200 with double light and 1 ice or 1 dark (damage guage is working although im not even sure that was a question) a lot of this was done when i was trying to get protect, then realized we dont get it... maybe we will, i can hope cant i?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:33 pm 

I've played a lot of PUP since ToAU release (anyone remember wamoura cocoon alliances to unlock VE since GS were botting guild npc? :lol: ) and skilling up has always been annoying. It's still really annoying on retail too, they haven't even made any puppet skill books. It gets easier when you get a few more spells to cast. My PUP is 20 right now and is about 8 levels from capping magic skill.

Also from what I've seen here it's like the old 75 days, one cooldown for spells. The cooldowns for different sets of spells were added at around the same time as Protect and stuff, during Abyssea at some point.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:06 am 

Myupih wrote:
I've played a lot of PUP since ToAU release (anyone remember wamoura cocoon alliances to unlock VE since GS were botting guild npc? :lol: ) and skilling up has always been annoying. It's still really annoying on retail too, they haven't even made any puppet skill books. It gets easier when you get a few more spells to cast. My PUP is 20 right now and is about 8 levels from capping magic skill.

Also from what I've seen here it's like the old 75 days, one cooldown for spells. The cooldowns for different sets of spells were added at around the same time as Protect and stuff, during Abyssea at some point.

Ahh ok I did nt even think to look into that... wow not sure why I didnt. Yeah I played pup a lot on retail up to and including tanking the new dynamis stuff, but I gave up retail, maybe for good idk yet, I also feel very lost and overwhelmed on Nasomi even though i really wanted pup and now its here!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:02 am 

Mana Booster does not work.

Even with 3 maneuvers up Stormwalker will cast every 30 seconds on the dot.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:21 am 

Best methods I have found so far:

Just fighting EM-T mobs.
- The more magic skill you have the more options your puppet has to cast, the more they will cast.
- Every 35ish seconds is another chance to skill up.
- Puppets now cast dia even with a dark maneuver up so refresh is not a hinderance (using the refresh attachments)
- Puppets seem to get better skill ups off EM-T mobs regardless of relative magic skill level (needs confirmation)

37 or under pup
- Be a RDM
- Spend all your MP but 1 or 2.
- Convert
- Equip Damage Guage
- Activate the puppet (Harlequin) far away from stationary mobs (worms work great)
- Deploy the puppet
- It will cure you and probably skill up
- Retrieve
- repeat via macro while /lockon a target.
- AFK between button presses

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:28 am 

Tiberon wrote:
Best methods I have found so far:

Just fighting EM-T mobs.
- The more magic skill you have the more options your puppet has to cast, the more they will cast.
- Every 35ish seconds is another chance to skill up.
- Puppets now cast dia even with a dark maneuver up so refresh is not a hinderance (using the refresh attachments)
- Puppets seem to get better skill ups off EM-T mobs regardless of relative magic skill level (needs confirmation)

37 or under pup
- Be a RDM
- Spend all your MP but 1 or 2.
- Convert
- Equip Damage Guage
- Activate the puppet (Harlequin) far away from stationary mobs (worms work great)
- Deploy the puppet
- It will cure you and probably skill up
- Retrieve
- repeat via macro while /lockon a target.
- AFK between button presses

As someone looking to start PUP, is it just a single magic skill for both healing and damage for the puppet? This sounds like it would up the healing rather than the damage if they are separate like on players.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:44 pm 

Its a single skill for magic. Autos have Melee, Ranged, and Magic skill and thats it. Also to add onto skilling magic, i found the best way is worms. Start with wind up and let them silence the worm and then just have them cast away. To cap my auto skill solo I went to gustav and deploy > cast > retrieve on the IT worms next to turtles. Very hard to silence those worms just fyi. If your auto gets bound just deactivate before it gets hurt.

Can also just use Soulsoother head and let it cast cures on you. Itll skillup with cures no matter what level.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:55 pm 

Use stormwaker or harl will work find a Worm unleash automaton at 10' once they reach high enough for silence it becomes much safer but mana jammers, auto repair kit, shock absorbers are great. another way require whm frame and at least 90 skill go to beaudux walk into afflicator put pet on a enemy whm will cursna and heal you only bad part is gotta run in and out of afflicator since they dont work as they did on retail.