Lobby: Up
Online: 33
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:33 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:41 am 

Hey, so I'm just wondring if I'm doing things "right". I'm brand new to FFXI so I've got no past memories to back me up lol. I've started in San D'Orea and just been killing monsters outside the city. I also grabbed two quests I found that I'm working towards, with the goal being to just grind up to level 10 so I can go to the Dunes, and grind there with other players so I can get my second job. I don't really know what to do after that point, but I'm sure i'll figure it out on the way.

I'm just wondering if there's anything I should be doing that I may have missed or don't know about? I'd appreciate any tips. It feels as though quests aren't as important, and grinding is much more important.

Thanks =)

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:04 am 

Personally I would not go to the dunes before level 13, there are camps there you can do at 11-12 but they can be quite difficult for parties and you're better off (and will generally level faster) by killing mobs solo. I don't go to the dunes until level 15 myself, I kill easy prey mobs to get there in starter and adjacent areas.

There's a few guides around for making money in starting areas. I believe in Sandoria the best one to do is trading in bat wings for gil.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:37 am 

Make sure you go into the settings and click auto -sort inventory so youre less likely to lose drops because of full inventory. I suggest keeping the drops you get until you get a stack of 12 before selling them. And dont forget to get your signet from the guard before going to kill stuff

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:06 am 

Here is a FANTASTIC guide to help you start your journey on Nasomi!

I am on often my self as well, so if you have any in game questions, sent me a /tell any time and I'll see if I can help you out! IGN: Takelli

Fishing: 68
Alchemy: 15

*How do I make the image show?*

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:13 am 

Yeh this game isn't like ur standard wowclone, you get noexp reward for most quests, all ur exp will come from kills. This game is built around team play. Learning how to work out party dynamics will get you better exp. Exp is a grind, money is a grind, items are a grind, you can search for mentors to help in game. There's alot to learn but it's a great game when you learn it ^^ enjoy yourself.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:52 pm 

Thank you all for the advice! It's going to be really helpful!

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 4:07 pm 

Save all your beastmen/kindred seals!

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:30 pm 

Falynn wrote:
Personally I would not go to the dunes before level 13, there are camps there you can do at 11-12 but they can be quite difficult for parties and you're better off (and will generally level faster) by killing mobs solo. I don't go to the dunes until level 15 myself, I kill easy prey mobs to get there in starter and adjacent areas.

There's a few guides around for making money in starting areas. I believe in Sandoria the best one to do is trading in bat wings for gil.

Where should I be killing mobs at level 10? I've just been outside the gates at sandoria killing rabbits bats and worms. I hit 10, but I definetely need better gear to take on some better monsters, I'm just curious where I should be farming from 10-15 ish?

Maseki wrote:
Save all your beastmen/kindred seals!

What do I do with the beastmen seals? I have a few of em saved away.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:57 pm 

https://ffxiclopedia.fandom.com/wiki/Main_Page

^ One of the more popular wikis for FFXI, search zone names, mob names, item names, things like that. Should help a ton.
Also side note, since this is technically a wiki for the currently running 2019 version of FFXI, there is a small chance some things will be different on nasomi. However the vast majority of information, especially regarding lower level content, you can assume to be correct. Welcome and hope you enjoy. <3

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:05 pm 

odnom wrote:
Where should I be killing mobs at level 10? I've just been outside the gates at sandoria killing rabbits bats and worms. I hit 10, but I definetely need better gear to take on some better monsters, I'm just curious where I should be farming from 10-15 ish?

Go to King Ranperre's Tomb (some things stop giving XP at 14 but most things will give you XP til 15) and kill everything in sight basically. There's Bats (trade in bat wings to NPC for quest for 200gil), worms drop ores and rings you can sell cheap, goblins drop masks and armor you can sell by the stack, and the occasional Wool that sells for 3k.

Alternatively you can go to La Thiene Plateau but the mobs are too spread out there for my liking unfortunately.