Lobby: Up
Online: 32
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:30 am 

Greetings fellow masochists! I haven't played for many years, but am considering firing up FFXI casually thanks to Nasomi.

I was a casual and an alt-junkie in the original FFXI, having about 10 jobs to level 10+ across two characters, but my highest job was 40 PLD.

If I do choose to jump into Nasomi's quagmire, can anyone give me a few tips?

- Any tips on how to make starter gil?
- Can I still sell crystals on the AH? This used to be a serious source of revenue as I leveled up a ton of jobs to 10+.
- Is there still a constant demand for moat carp (for Lu Shang's rod)? I always found fishing oddly engaging, and the moat carp used to be a relaxed way to make some cash.

- Is it a b*tch to get the skull for the subjob quest, like it used to be? Will I be able to find a group, and if not, what's the best job to level up to solo it?

- It seems a RDM is a good starting solo job and probably in demand for mid-level groups as I power up. Agree/disagree?

Many thanks! Looking forward to (possibly) throwing my helmet into the ring.

Rimamok

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:59 am 

Rimamok wrote:
Greetings fellow masochists! I haven't played for many years, but am considering firing up FFXI casually thanks to Nasomi.

I was a casual and an alt-junkie in the original FFXI, having about 10 jobs to level 10+ across two characters, but my highest job was 40 PLD.

- Can I still sell crystals on the AH? This used to be a serious source of revenue as I leveled up a ton of jobs to 10+.
- Is there still a constant demand for moat carp (for Lu Shang's rod)? I always found fishing oddly engaging, and the moat carp used to be a relaxed way to make some cash.

- Is it a b*tch to get the skull for the subjob quest, like it used to be? Will I be able to find a group, and if not, what's the best job to level up to solo it?

- It seems a RDM is a good starting solo job and probably in demand for mid-level groups as I power up. Agree/disagree?

Rimamok

see sig, outdated but thats what you get
yes
no due to how fishing works here

no, yes someone will help, level w/e you want someone will help you get it

disagree

tl;dr lvl whatever you want to play. windurst is clearly the best city to start in, kill crawlers for silk thread to ah and calculus to npc.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:20 am 

Cilarnen wrote:
Rimamok wrote:

Rimamok

see sig, outdated but thats what you get
yes
no due to how fishing works here

no, yes someone will help, level w/e you want someone will help you get it

disagree

tl;dr lvl whatever you want to play. windurst is clearly the best city to start in, kill crawlers for silk thread to ah and calculus to npc.

Ahh Crawler Silk, I remember that from SO very long ago. Thanks!

Are you willing to summarize how fishing works differently on Nasomi? I really enjoyed fishing and so would like to know what I'm getting into...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:41 am 

Carp sells for less here than from era retail. My memory wants to say 1/2 to 2/3 price, and you should outgrow that income level fairly quickly as you skill up. But yeah... I got a lu for woodworking purposes. Too bad it doesn't cap at 100 anymore tho. Most people power to fishing 76 and go ham with black sole, since there is no daily fishing fatigue cap and you can snag most fish 20 levels from its skill cap. Moat carp is the only exception where you need fishing 5 to catch them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:40 am 

Thanks Julia. I'm assuming that the moat carp and Lu Shang remain technically the same....but prices have adjusted to reflect a fairly mature server, and little demand for new Lu Shangs. (?)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:09 pm 

If you have your heart set on Windy, you will get your OP warps, it just will take a little longer. I started in Windy and managed to get all the necessary ones pretty quickly. I had Xarcabard before some Sandy people that I know.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:17 pm 

Rimamok wrote:

Rimamok

viewtopic.php?t=8480

Easiest and quickest way to become self sufficient.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:03 pm 

Thanks for all the tips, and thanks Zendiime for the fishing guide!

I'm up to 9RDM 8WAR now with Justice Badge and Spatha, and my first stack of crawler silk. I went with Hume based out of Windy.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:46 pm 

I think RDM is a great starter class. It's my only job at 75 and I had never played FFXI before Nasomi. Being able to sleep/bind is a get out of jail free card and the only 100% mandatory gear you have to buy is elemental staves and iridal. It's also one of the few classes to get sneak and invis for easy travel.

As for starting in windy, fair warning, I literally just got one of the jungle OP warps because it was the first time we captured it in the last 6 months. But I'd say most of the important OP warps get cycled through the nation's every 2 months or so.

We have gustaberg right now, which we may not get again any time soon so you might want to jump on that before conquest resets Saturday night.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:57 pm 

Hmm it's been too long.... I can't recall the details of OP Warps. What should I be shooting for? Thank you!