Lobby: Up
Online: 65
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:19 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:16 pm 

Someone please help before I throw my computer into the nearest moat!

I’ve fished across Vana’diel for a minimum of 8 hours (including travel time), and have yet to reach skill 1.

The only skillups I’ve managed to get were catching Jellyfish in Selbina. Each of these skillups was

“Your fishing skill has increased by 0.1 to 0” I can’t recall the precise wording, but after about a total of 1 in skillups, I stopped getting any skillups. I’ve fished a minimum of 30 more cobalt jellyfish after I stopped getting skillups, so I assume that my skill is somehow blocked.

I thought that perhaps I’d forgotten to get guild membership, so I sailed/ran all the way back to Port Windurst and spoke to the guildmistress. Generic text, so I assume that I already got membership.

To add further confusion to my struggles, I tried fishing for Bastire Sardines in Port Windurst (clothespole+lugworm+synthesis support + 2 pieces of fishing bonus clothing). Nothing, I cast all day long and get nothing. It makes me wonder if the fishing bestiary from the original is accurate on Nasomi?

Someone throw me a life preserver! Or just harpoon me to put me out of my misery.

/salute
Rimamok

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:52 pm 

Welcome to jellyfish hell!

Basically your only option is 0-5 in Selbina catching jellyfish.

Once you hit level 5 you can move on to Moat Carp

You're not doing anything wrong, this is just how it is

It took me 18 hours straight to go from 0 to 5

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:00 pm 

viewtopic.php?t=8480

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:29 am 

Also, if you feel like your skillups have been locked off try re-equiping your rod/bait and/or zoning. Also don't forget to move now and then to shake off the fishing fatigue.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:09 am 

Rima, keep in mind, that while the 'usual suspects' vendor fishing guides always say Selbina 0-5, you can also do that stretch right in your starter city.

I'm lvl100 on main, and alt is around 70ish... and has never fished in Selbina. My alt got thru the beginner levels in Bastok. Really really wish someone would update those older guides to reflect that. And maybe also to take out the Cheval River suggestion, /grrrrrrrr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:56 am 

Can also use this website to find the fish you're trying to skill up on. I did my early levels in the river in misareaux coast at J-6 and am told it went way faster than Selbina at the same levels.

http://www.great-blue.jp/?lng=en

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:12 am 

You can get to 13 pretty easily in just windurst, I've also heard you can use a rig in selbina, which will speed things up.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:40 am 

You can use a Sabiki Rig in either Selbina or Port Windurst (and probably some other spots as well), and get a catch on almost every cast. Skillups are still a bit slow from 0-5 but it goes much faster with constant fish catches than otherwise. Other than needing to get lv5 to catch moat carp, you can reliably catch any fish that's up to/including 20 levels beyond your current fishing level.

You just gotta be careful when using a rig, since it's easy to lose forever if you're not careful... pull up a fish too soon? Snap your line, lose your rig. Hit escape or heal/etc. on accident? Looks like you just gave up, and lost your rig forever. Clicked somewhere in the game window with a mouse? Yep, gone forever. /blockmouse is your friend, if you play on a keyboard.

I'd put cool pics of my achievements/items here, if they were anything interesting. How about "I pooped today! \o/"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:24 am 

Lots of great advice, and an amazing guide! Many thanks to all.

I’ll try the Sabiki Rig and take extra care not to lose it. I’m sticking to Selbina though, literally the only place I’ve gotten a single skillup. I wasted many hours in all quarters of Windurst... not coming back until I’m L5!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:45 pm 

Solid plan, and when you hit lv5 go ahead and grab yourself a clothespole (if you don’t already have one) and a pile of insect balls and have fun pulling in moats for a while :) Windy Woods is a good safe place with an AH right around the corner. The clothespole and insect paste combo ensures that you only target most carp (and items, mostly rusties but an occasional silver ring).

You’ll be hard-presses to best the gil/hr of selling most carp on the AH, but once you eventually get up closer to black sole levels you’ll never look back. Also, it helps to have some friends that do cookin (or do it yourself)g - they may be willing to make a deal on some of the less common fish that NPC for cheap (and thus are rare/expensive on the AH as no one goes for them) but can be turned into decent food (pizza ingredients, etc.).

I'd put cool pics of my achievements/items here, if they were anything interesting. How about "I pooped today! \o/"