Lobby: Up
Online: 35
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:08 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: "You need to farm"
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:39 am 

Hi Nasomi community, I just wanted to post this to help get it off my mind, because for some reason it still lingers. It's an experience I had levelling WHM around levels 28-32.

The party begins in Bibiki Bay killing Dhalmels. We have 2xNIN THF DRK BRD and WHM (me). Now, I'm fairly new to Nasomi, but have played FFXI on retail and learned some, but I still have a lot to learn. Here, I was not prepared with all the right spells. The party is going pretty well thanks to having 2 NIN's, but the Silence begins to afflict them, and I don't have Silena or Erase to help with that. If I had known, sure, I definitely would have had Silena ready and happily make sure my party was Silence free.

Ninja: [Silenced]
Me: [I'm sorry] [I don't have anything to give you.] :<
Ninja: ...

Later, they proceed to tell me that if I'm going to EXP, "You need to farm", and also made a comment on my gear, which I'll admit wasn't the best, but I had a few Seer's pieces, Zealott's Mitts, and was still able to heal and debuff fine (in this instance). I'm fully aware that I need to farm the gil to get what I need to do the job, but at this level with this party, it didn't seem like it was so much of an issue. I still felt bad about it, and will definitely want to be prepared for next time.

The most interesting part of this is that you can turn from the Dhalmel's gaze and not be silenced. I mentioned this and at first I was given a "No" by this particular player. I told them to test it, and we found out you could.

I don't feel like the player was trying to attack me or anything, and I totally got where they were coming from. It just felt like they had an attitude towards me. The moral is, be prepared so players don't try to pick you apart.

Sorry, and thank you if you read through this entire thing. I hope some others will share their opinions or insights with me on this. It's always good to talk with others about petty, bothersome things. [Good luck!] out there!

Last edited by Wallen on Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: "You need to farm"
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:30 am 

I feel like everyone should aspire to have all the available spells for their level. This only enhances the experience for not only you but for others as well. Your complete lack of commitment towards any sort of feeling towards this individual shows me that you too felt bad that you didn't have the spell that was available to you at that specific level. Moral of the story is, if you don't want to feel bad or be talked to about your lack of spells, farm.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:00 am 

Wallen wrote:
Hi Nasomi community, I just wanted to post this to help get it off my mind, because for some reason it still lingers. It's an experience I had levelling WHM around levels 28-32.

The party begins in Bibiki Bay killing Dhalmels. We have 2xNIN THF DRK BRD and WHM (me). Now, I'm fairly new to Nasomi, but have played FFXI on retail and learned some, but I still have a lot to learn. Here, I was not prepared with all the right spells. The party is going pretty well thanks to having 2 NIN's, but the Silence begins to afflict them, and I don't have Silena or Erase to help with that. If I had known, sure, I definitely would have had Silena ready and happily make sure my party was Silence free.

Ninja: [Silenced]
Me: [I'm sorry] [I don't have anything to give you.] :<
Ninja: ...

Later, they proceed to tell me that if I'm going to EXP, "You need to farm", and also made a comment on my gear, which I'll admit wasn't the best, but I had a few Seer's pieces, Zealott's Mitts, and was still able to heal and debuff fine (in this instance). I'm fully aware that I need to farm the gil to get what I need to do the job, but at this level with this party, it didn't seem like it was so much of an issue. I still felt bad about it, and will definitely want to be prepared for next time.

The most interesting part of this is that you can turn from the Dhalmel's gaze and not be silenced. I mentioned this and at first I was given a "No" by this particular player. I told them to test it, and we found out you could.

I don't feel like the player was trying to attack me or anything, and I totally got where they were coming from. It just felt like they had this "You're a noob, and my word is law" attitude towards me. The moral is, be prepared so players don't try to pick you apart.

Sorry, and thank you if you read through this entire thing. I hope some others will share their opinions or insights with me on this. It's always good to talk with others about petty, bothersome things. [Good luck!] out there!

Don't farm as WHM, out of the starting jobs it's the worst job to solo with since it has the lowest damage capacity. If you want to farm start leveling WAR or THF and sub WHM for cures or just level RDM. You can also do what I did and just give up farming and start fishing instead. It'll take a week of fishing to get to a decent level but once you get there you can get enough gil per hour to make the necessary gear affordable.

But yeah, you do need to farm or fish (or craft if you can take the initial investment). Since WHM practically can't melee they're only involved in battles through spells. Yeah, obviously you'll be the main healer but so can RDM and even PLD. Parties that invite you will expect the benefits of those WHM-only spells, which include these super-important -na spells. I play RDM and when I hit levels 32 & 41 I stopped partying a went fishing for a whole day each time to afford Dispel/Refresh because parties invite RDMs at these levels partially because they have those spells.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:18 am 

Koopa wrote:
I feel like everyone should aspire to have all the available spells for their level. This only enhances the experience for not only you but for others as well. Your complete lack of commitment towards any sort of feeling towards this individual shows me that you too felt bad that you didn't have the spell that was available to you at that specific level. Moral of the story is, if you don't want to feel bad or be talked to about your lack of spells, farm.

You're right, we all should aspire to that. I think Erase might have been asking a bit much for a newer player, but I was wrong for not having Silena. And I should take more care and research what will be fought if I'm going to level WHM, because I could have easily picked it up before.

It's not that I didn't empathize with them, I just felt like they were giving me more grief than what was necessary.

Nightcoder wrote:
Don't farm as WHM, out of the starting jobs it's the worst job to solo with since it has the lowest damage capacity. If you want to farm start leveling WAR or THF and sub WHM for cures or just level RDM. You can also do what I did and just give up farming and start fishing instead. It'll take a week of fishing to get to a decent level but once you get there you can get enough gil per hour to make the necessary gear affordable.

But yeah, you do need to farm or fish (or craft if you can take the initial investment). Since WHM practically can't melee they're only involved in battles through spells. Yeah, obviously you'll be the main healer but so can RDM and even PLD. Parties that invite you will expect the benefits of those WHM-only spells, which include these super-important -na spells. I play RDM and when I hit levels 32 & 41 I stopped partying a went fishing for a whole day each time to afford Dispel/Refresh because parties invite RDMs at these levels partially because they have those spells.

I have started fishing, and have since realized that I need to do it more. I'm only (7) at the moment. :D I tried farming Bubu leeches as WHM/thf and that definitely didn't work out so well for me, so that's some good advice. I should level THF a bit more. I just hope this kind of scenario doesn't happen again if I don't have some kind of rare/ex NM drop.

Thanks for the advice!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:22 am 

Wallen wrote:
The party is going pretty well thanks to having 2 NIN's, but the Silence begins to afflict them, and I don't have Silena or Erase to help with that.

This is very bad my dude.

Silena only costs around 2,330g in a shop and is one of the more important spells you'll need, a Ninja tank which gets silenced is in deep trouble along with the rest of the party (Paladins wont be happy either).
You even say "that you can turn from the Dhalmel's gaze and not be silenced" meaning you already had knowledge in advance that you'll be needing that spell, yes Gaze attacks attacks can be avoided but it's not 100%.
By the sounds of it you really need to take a day out or something to properly equip yourself, how would you feel if a front line fighter shown up with no weapons?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:30 am 

Chameleon wrote:
Wallen wrote:
The party is going pretty well thanks to having 2 NIN's, but the Silence begins to afflict them, and I don't have Silena or Erase to help with that.

This is very bad my dude.

Silena only costs around 2,330g in a shop and is one of the more important spells you'll need, a Ninja tank which gets silenced is in deep trouble along with the rest of the party (Paladins wont be happy either).
You even say "that you can turn from the Dhalmel's gaze and not be silenced" meaning you already had knowledge in advance that you'll be needing that spell, yes Gaze attacks attacks can be avoided but it's not 100%.
By the sounds of it you really need to take a day out or something to properly equip yourself, how would you feel if a front line fighter shown up with no weapons?

It was bad, and it's no excuse but the party survived easily. I found out about Dhalmel's Silence after we had already started exping, and I didn't consider making a trip to town to get it because we were doing fine, plus I didn't have the OP warp, oof. I've definitely learned my lesson.

That'd be quite a problem if they had no weapons.. :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:38 am 

Well I say "fine" and "survived easily" but it probably put more stress on them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:45 am 

Wallen wrote:
I have started fishing, and have since realized that I need to do it more. I'm only (7) at the moment. :D I tried farming Bubu leeches as WHM/thf and that definitely didn't work out so well for me, so that's some good advice. I should level THF a bit more. I just hope this kind of scenario doesn't happen again if I don't have some kind of rare/ex NM drop.

Thanks for the advice!

Don't count on getting precisely the drops you need from NMs because most chances you won't. Either keep the loot until you level the appropriate job (if you ever choose to do so) or sell it on AH and use the gil to buy the stuff that you do need.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:59 am 

Think of it as a lesson, someone got mad at you so how can it be prevented?

One thing to understand in this game is that everything is very time intensive and nobody wants to waste their time (it's also very old with lots of veterans), during a party its one thing if someone is very undergeared or missing important things it can annoy people, its another thing if someone particularly brings down the performance party then they'll be greatly annoyed. Nobody wants to spend even longer getting their levels/etc!

I'm not gonna talk down to you as everyone makes mistakes, research and always be asking questions :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:05 am 

I could understand not having erase, it's expensive for a new player, but silena is really affordable, and one of the most important spells. Just farm up a stack or two of something and sell it.