Lobby: Up
Online: 39
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
 Post subject: Re: New Player Struggles
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:07 pm 

ffxi just isn't for everyone, and I think that's ok

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:16 pm 

imKranely wrote:
Starbright wrote:
imKranely wrote:
End of the day, people are actively avoiding new players because it doesn't benefit them. Not a community I want to be in, and not the community that I remember.

PS: To the two single players who did help me, thank you. To the other people who asked me for gil when I needed help on a mission or asked a question.... enjoy your server.

maybe people are just avoiding new players, and old players, with terrible fucking attitudes

Just because I've voiced my concerns with the experience I've had doesn't mean I have a horrible attitude. I've been nothing but nice. This particular post comes off as salty because that is just what it is. I even addressed that. But when the responses are "do you have a sub job" or something along the lines of mages just having a hard time getting groups, it is definitely frustrating. I would love to be proven wrong and be given a reason to realize it's all in my head and make a long apology showing that I misunderstood the community, but when my concerns are only met with this "get used to it" or "if you don't like it leave" mentality, it just feels that much more off putting.

I've spoken with a few people form this server, and a good bit of people who left this server, and I don't seem to be alone in thinking that the server isn't very social or welcoming. I think the players who have been here for a long time are comfortable and have already created their social niches and it just makes it harder for new players to get involved. The new player introductions section of the forums seems mostly untouched by anyone other than the new players making posts introducing themselves, and the LS recruitment forums seem to be devoid of any social LS, so I'm not sure how to go about meeting people.

And even when I do find myself in a party, it's just people chain pulling because we have a PL so there isn't any time to talk to one another. Most people say you wont make friends until much later and that low levels can be rough because people have done it so many times that they just don't enjoy it anymore. So I guess it's just a side effect of the age of the server and I will have to look elsewhere for the experience I would like to have. Simple as that.

The only person I knew when I started on this server quit very shortly after I started playing. He didn't know anyone from the social group I now run with, none of the introductions he made lead me to this group, and he didn't play with me any before he quit. I've made tons of friends on here precisely because it's a good community.

http://rfklinkshell.com/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:52 am 

imKranely wrote:
Starbright wrote:
And even when I do find myself in a party, it's just people chain pulling because we have a PL so there isn't any time to talk to one another.

yeah because at low lvls if u are melee or tank u do anything but autoattack (maybe if u are a lucky job use JA every 3 min) and WS at 100 tp....outside that u are free to talk.

if u are a mage talk when u are resting ?

when i started here i had no friends no LS , no1 , know i have 4 pearls (or 5? cant remember) 2 of those are almost dead

if a random need helps and i have time i will help! , i was helped before (nin quest , AF , LB ect) , the truth is if u dont have friends / friendly LS u arent going to enjoy FFXI , is a game with tons of social interaction.

if u like the game keep at it , 1 week is rough , 2nd week? join random pt maybe get a pearl start making friends, 3 week join a xp pt with 1+ ls mate , 4th week , start doing bcnm / missions with lsmates and shout to get that healer , and from there is all smooth ....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:16 pm 

i soloed to level 20 as a newb. no complaints. no linkshell. it was one of the best in-game choices i ever made.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:10 pm 

Hello friend. I am trying to reach out to you with some kindness =) as I do not really believe the forums are a place where you see that, that much. Though! there is some incredible kindness here if you but look for it!

I would like to start off by saying, please don't leave.

Not all of us are jaded forum dwelling doubting Thomases. I mean, I sort of am lolol! But not all of us are. I saw another player writing here on this post about how he handed out lots and lots of gil to new players. This is a kindness that I can relate to. I paid out about a million gil between 10,30 and 50k donations? to every new person that I met that I thought was worth a damn. I would gladly do the same for you =)
I've ran countless rank missions, countless cop missions that I didn't need, and I've got about 25 Papyrus's for LB1 for other people. I live to help other people. Some of us are actually like that! Even the most leetist of us in this community still love to help... but you know how it is. =( Nice guys finish last and the more you advertise that the more you get taken advantage of, Etc.

In regards to your comments about sociality? I would invite you to one of my to linkshells right now, but unfortunately my main LS? the only sack holder has been missing for 5 months, and my other LS is a racial LS and you have to be Mithra to join. If you're Mithra send a text to me and game and I'll get you an invite to one of the best social LS is on the server. Very active very social all hours of the day or night and some of the friendliest people I've met. My friend Lutak is recruiting for his new LS he'd def give you a pearl if you /tell him and mention me lol

I know it's going to sound jaded, or biased, but I'm going to state this as clearly as I know how to say it: I played every MMO, most of them from closed beta through to stagnation, since the Everquest days, Ultima Online, FFXI, all the way up to WoW, Tera, D3, Eve online, Mortal, ESO, Albion, PoE, Final Fantasy 14, Counterstrike, Overwatch, Neverwinter, DDO, LOTRO, and many other MMOs that I don't even want to go into right now. I've been a member of many good communities. A member of many bad communities! Some of them plagued by toxicity, leetism, theme park vanity (Blizz im looking in your direction! >.>) some of them plagued by a desire to be helpful!... and friendly, but not serious enough about progression.

...Pretty much any sort of style of community you can think of. And I know it's going to come across as biased?
but I will say this,

...the community on the Nasomi, once you get a chance to experience it in all its sandboxy immersive glory, that is? Is the best community I've ever been a part of in online gaming. Only retail FFXI and Eve Online compares imho.

AND I make that judgement having recoiled away from endgame activities, loot, progression and accolades and titles. Im talking about the people leveling right along with you, grinding with you, passing LB's and getting testimonials right with you. There's more sociology here than wow e or Final Fantasy XIV or any of the theme park MMOs. Its the glory of a sandbox. You get to build the castles.

I would say the people here? are reluctant to show you this. Especially at first glimpse. We are shy and begrudging and discerning.

And I REALLY do not mean to criticize but I feel that you have just been brought down a bit by your environment which is the dunes and the leveling process? It's literally how Square designed the game. But there's so much more to this game than that which you deal with right now.

No matter how you want to play, for example if you like to fish like me there's places where tons of fishermen meet, you like to craft? it's competitive and expensive but the people watch each other's AH actions and react accordingly and it's a very sensitive combined Community effort. Someone has to mine ore or desynth ingots for the higher level guys, they turn around and HQ lower mats in abundance etc. Like to fight? There's parties going on all day all night (I used to actually have a problem with that I would end up not sleeping for 2 or 3 days pushing a class from 65 to 75, or trying to make my first million gil or first 5 million, or trying to gain 30 levels in fishing fast or goldsmithing.

All along the way there was people all around me. Good people. Some great lovely snobs and leetists, and some very humble and virtuous compatriots. And I'm very proud to say that those people that I donated 10, 30, 50K gil to? (Most of them, not all of course) unlike the other poster said? Are still around to be my friends and definitely got a leg up from the help. Some of them surpassed me and I'm damn proud! That's my thing I live to help people if I can, without wasting my own time in the process. I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO TRIES TO DO SO.

Like any other community there is toxicity here, you'll see a lot of it in the dunes, lot of it in Sky/Dyna/ Limbus/ Sea etc. I remember stuff like getting kicked out of a party because I didn't have a two-hander on my no subjob War because I didn't know how much better greataxe was at those levels. I remember almost getting kicked out of a party in Dunes because I insisted on enfeebling mobs on my black mage?... (I have a boner for blind and para and dia I dont care what level the mob or nm is) ...before I opened up to nuke? N this pissed off the rank 10 leetist leader royally to no end, he felt that enfeebles, especially Black Mage ones, were entirely useless at that level compared to nuke damage throughput direct DD? and while I disagreed with him bitterly at the time? (I love Blind it's the partie's friend!) I learned to see his point of view over the course of the party and accepted that it may not be the best use of my Mana, the mobs were dying to fast cuz of brd and cor. He threatened to kick me like 5 times for real he was like "1 more enfeeble yer gonzo." And there is NOTHING worse than being told how to play when you were a blm for 5 years, or threatened to be kicked out of a dunes pt, except a full 6 man party wipe to a Gobbie bomb with no raise all release. Dunes can be toxic as hell and i love every minute of it its a short grind from 12- 19. Can do it in like 90 mins with the right party comp.

There are always people teaching me, on NasomiI remember one night I was fishing in kuftal and my friend Alivefly /checked me and schooled me to a very good forum post about stat weights:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9947

and how badly I had geared my war, not bad gear mind u, just the wrong min max stats... and it literally changed my Final Fantasy Life instantly cuz I never used to play melee classes back on retail except for dancer. I was once a truly great Bard on Fenrir rivaling the jp best, and career bards dont know SHIT about tanking, DD, Nuking, renkeis, just buffing and healing and pulling. Until they take the time to learn.

Long story short story for the wall of text, but know that you aren't alone buddy! Sociology will find you if the community sees that you're serious, even if they don't see that? it'll still find you. I can promise you that! I bet a million gil. on it. The beauty of this game is that it unfolds into so many layers like an onion, one after another after another and I can guarantee you the onion peel does not taste good, smell good, or look good from the outside looking in? But at the core there's great nutrients and vitamins to be zesty taste and good cookins to be found.

There are great riches yet to be made with friends not even met yet, many things to be learned and many things quality of life wise in which it is undoubtfully wise to learn to better your experience.

When it comes to xping? Time zones definitely matter I wouldn't go to Dune's except for NA Friday afternoons and evenings, Saturday afternoons and evenings, and Sunday afternoons and evenings. Imo I would save the other days for leveling other classes / subjobs, or an easy-to-get-into-profession such as goldsmithing (at low levels anyways it gets too expensive fast) or that sweet fishing that just got in your pockets. Mythral Swords in Qufim!
Work on rank missions... rank matters. Pays gil too. Learn places to farm like Quadav Backplates in Palsboro Mines? Gausebit Grass and regen scrolls near Aroganeu OP, Spiderwebs in Korroloka or Altepa, antican pauldrons, as your level goes up so does the farming gil. I would dedicate leveling a thief to at least 15, but the best ability thief has is flee 25(or hide,) so most likely you want thief to 37 and that's a pain in the ass cuz leveling thief kind of sucks past like lev 35/40. So does leveling BLM.

White mage gets no love here because of all the power level and red mage alts? which I feel does kind of take away from the gameplay balance as intended? Que Serrah. The red mage fills the slot just perfectly and there are many things that White Mage can do the Red Mage can't, and vice versa.

If you find yourself looking for group and bored and frustrated? Go fishing in selbina to make money while you do it.

Some of the greatest advice I can give someone is to learn the /search all invite /sea all inv 12-22 commands and /see all of a class 12-22 and learn to build your own parties? Rather than rely on others. If you search for the level sync range of 10 levels above you you'll see whether there's maybe 2, 4, 6,8, or 10 people looking for group in dunes. Three or four is never enough and you know immediately that you're going to spend time looking for group and you can plan accordingly for that rather than sit around.

Final Fantasy is great to multitask stuff like Netflix or PlayStation games, for texting, reading, smoking, posting on forums etcetera if you're worried about losing time to standing around? You're not really thinking about all the opportunities out there correctly and eventually you see that there's not enough time to do it all.

One of the things I tend to think thats kind of leetest? But I urge you to think the same: If a party doesn't have a Bard or a Corsair support class? It's probably going to be a ho-hum party at best, maybe some deaths, at worst definitely not the chaining/xp per hour you want. People inv me to merit or xp parties and my 1st response these days is, got a brd or cor? jk ill join anyways hehe"

On a side note: it's great to talk to your party at appropriate times when you're traveling to a camp, or resting Mana, or sitting on the melee only weapon skilling every few minutes, I guarantee you if you reach out to people, I just ask them how their day is going, or crack a racial joke about the galka rdm or the taru tank, or the 6 mithra party. Or how are they liking their class, (ive never played pup or blu) or why they play the way they do etcetera... I think you'll find that the sociality is hidden here behind a very thin veil that is easy to penetrate if you but try. People remember if you are nice and social and invite you back. Other times youll go 3 hours without saying a word, people focusing, or a language barrier, etc.

Finally: I come to the end of the fucking BOOK im writing here: I see a LOT a potential in you as a Nasomi player! I can infer from your style of writing, you're open and honest complaints, your natural revulsion when it comes to toxicity, leetism, or non social community. Sentiments after my own heart. These are the traits of a good player but you can't be a good player unless you play!

My final thought is: It if you do leave I wish you the best! Thank you for giving it a try its free doesn't hurt to try it, ffxi is not for everybody!... and I like that. But if I were to hazard a guess? I think this might actually be right for you let time pass, relive the nostalgia, get stronger, reach out or let the sociality find you, build a static for CoP or BCNMS and one day you'll wake up like me? Thinking that, "Well now! This is the best experience I've had an MMO since the original retail and all the games I wasted my time on since!"

Or not, time will tell. ^^

Peace be unto you brother my name is Skycat I'm always down to help people... feel free to send me a tell I'm not the only one here who thinks this way or plays like this. I promise! Good peeps here

LOL have an excellent day! Thx to any who took the time to read my shitty diatribe, checks in the mail yo

Last edited by Skycat on Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:32 pm 

Trust Skycat. He is one of the best dudes I have ever met playing MMORPGs.

/Bow brotha!

~Rubicmage
Leveling RDM, WHM, BLM, NIN
Taru | Rank 1 Bastok | [ ] Sky / [ ] Sea

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:52 pm 

Rubi!!!!!!!! <3 <3 <3 I miss you!!!!!!!!!! Come back some day the game is FREE taint nothing to let a char gather dust to be picked up some summer evening many moons later! Server is less without you =) FP is dying lol I know you have good reasons to move on but, dont forget about us hehe you and your real life homie are missed! Arc quit too i think ; ; and Beef. The way she goes eh? ^^

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:25 pm 

Without hijacking this dude's post too much, I miss you guys too. A game is only as strong as its community and social guild/LS. Noel and I found ourselves alone, grinding and leveling. The real fun comes with adventures and kicking ass with LS mates, chatting about whatever.

Who knows, I might return as a Mithra just so that I can join this Mithra only LS :) If I do come back, I am putting min/max out the window when it comes to farming and I'll farm to fun .. not to maximize 70k per hour every time. When the grind feels like a chore/painful ... then that is a good sign to take a break. I knew FP was dying a long time ago /sad.

I hope you, Arc, and Samu are doing well. Noellim and I are (we work together).

Peace!

~Rubicmage
Leveling RDM, WHM, BLM, NIN
Taru | Rank 1 Bastok | [ ] Sky / [ ] Sea

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:43 pm 

Please send my regards to Noellim! Tell im i miss hunting the megolobugard with him lol
Youse guys are some of the best peeps ive ever met in an mmo as well!

PS FUCK IT i hijacked his post thats what people DO on nas forums. My spiel was designed for ANY new players struggling lol not just him. It's an important topic on nas that needs to be addressed

Oh and Samusaki's kicking ass! doing the best out of all of us hes got a good egls but still loyal to FP ^^ I didn't have the discipline, endgame is like watching paint dry to me lol

Oh and im daddy fatsacks now i gots mad gil im always down to donate to you to keep the farming fun and light not grindy lol pulled 2 monomi scrolls last night just messing around with Myspace and his buddies, almost got a Peiste skin worth 2 mil but i kept dcing ; ;

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:58 pm 

Ok you want to fast track in to a social group here? Play a female character, Ok now SAY your a female irl even if your not doesn't matter. Nowadays we have some pretty good voice modifiers so you go on there discord, chat alittle on the mic, unless you can put on a good female voice naturally if your a guy. Hook line and sinker your in, everyone's going to want to help the girl of the group. I mean Im doing it right now as we speak. Its definitely made the game alot more fun. Or you could go the gay guy route though it's a bit...harder. ;)

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next