Lobby: Up
Online: 54
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
 Post subject: Re: New Player Struggles
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:19 pm 

Magashi wrote:
Ok you want to fast track in to a social group here? Play a female character, Ok now SAY your a female irl even if your not doesn't matter. Nowadays we have some pretty good voice modifiers so you go on there discord, chat alittle on the mic, unless you can put on a good female voice naturally if your a guy. Hook line and sinker your in, everyone's going to want to help the girl of the group. I mean Im doing it right now as we speak. Its definitely made the game alot more fun. Or you could go the gay guy route though it's a bit...harder. ;)

Technically that's against the rules and can get you banned.
Quote:
• Gender identification is prohibited. There is no need for anyone to know your gender in this world.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:39 pm 

Hamster wrote:
Magashi wrote:
Ok you want to fast track in to a social group here? Play a female character, Ok now SAY your a female irl even if your not doesn't matter. Nowadays we have some pretty good voice modifiers so you go on there discord, chat alittle on the mic, unless you can put on a good female voice naturally if your a guy. Hook line and sinker your in, everyone's going to want to help the girl of the group. I mean Im doing it right now as we speak. Its definitely made the game alot more fun. Or you could go the gay guy route though it's a bit...harder. ;)

Quote:
• Gender identification is prohibited. There is no need for anyone to know your gender in this world.

So I can report someone if they ask me my gender?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:02 pm 

Magashi wrote:
Hamster wrote:
Magashi wrote:

Quote:

So I can report someone if they ask me my gender?

Technically, no, they can report you if you answer.

Gender identification is against the rules, not asking someone else their gender. That being said, the rule isn't enforced.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:33 pm 

lol @ magashi plugging catfishing as a viable strat as people wonder why there are "New Player Struggles"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:41 pm 

Julia wrote:
lol @ magashi plugging catfishing as a viable strat as people wonder why there are "New Player Struggles"

well.....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:17 pm 

The only advice that I can give is to not stand around while seeking a party. Go kill Easy Prey, take up fishing/crafting, farm some Goblins around town, create your own LS for other new players struggling and shout in town.

I got a lot of love and help for initiating events for other new players as a new player... "Oh, I need to get my subjob items?"
/shout Anyone need help/would like to help with subjob items?

You don't need a full party to xp. A duo/trio can get really good xp and won't be as boring as grinding at a regular camp.

Boredom is a lack of creativity.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:54 pm 

New players in general: You'll need lots gil if you're new, you can fish, HELM, farm, almost anything to pass the time while seeking on your main toon. You can lvl an alt while seeking on your main. You can have a chime play every time you get a /tell so when ya hear it ya can just alt+tab over to your main and never miss an invite. (Go to menu CONFIG>CHAT FILTERS, click on TELL until a music note appears, now you will hear a chime anytime you receive a tell.) If you have subjob quest done you can also just solo to 20 pretty quick on Nasomi and just bypass the dunes all together, especially if you go melee, faster than just standing around anyways.

Edit: There are also race specific LS's out there that are fairly populated. I've not seen/heard of Elvaan or Hume specific LS's. But there are LS's specifically for Galka, Mithra, and Taru only. Makes it easier to find help if all ya got is a 5-10 man social LS.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:06 pm 

people on nasomi are major turds, if you dont have a subjob literally no one will invite you

you also need pretty good gear and need to be the right class for anyone to invite you

this server is like 95% children who never did anything with their lives and almost all of them are bitter, miserable or just complete nerds. I made tons of groups in the dunes and regularly invited players with no subs and gave them good food so they could dps and we all leveled together and had fun. Dont expect that from the majority of the playerbase here tho, if you have crap gear people will literally make fun of you and call you a scrub

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:48 pm 

I didn't see this posted, but it is relevant. The EXP rates are different from classic- you can level to 10 on the level 1 mobs outside the gate of your city. Yeah, at level 9 they only give 30 exp, but when you oneshot them, who cares? At that point I'll go to King Ran. Tomb or Giddeous or whatever the Bastok one is(Palburough?) and get to 16 with little problem, and I can go look for pty in Valk for faster exp, or slowly get to 20 in the tomb. At that point, soloing is much harder, so I'll go to Qufim.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:44 am 

Magashi wrote:

...do you really believe this? Being a woman on the internet is terrible lol. It's not some fantasy land where everything is done for you and everyone treats you great. You get treated like a moron and barraged with nice guys trying to slip into your DMs (not to mention the many possible horror stories).

On topic: I am a new player that has started in the last couple weeks. People have been super nice and accommodating. I think it's a little weird to expect a server with a small population (relative to 2005 retail) to be full of instant party invites and loads of people with nothing to do but help lower level players. Joining a game years after launch is an uphill climb you have to anticipate and grind through. Maybe it's the millennial in me, but I don't mind playing this game in addition to doing other things, so going lfg while I clean my house, watch netflix with my partner, or play another game isn't really a big deal. I can switch focus to ffxi when I do get an invite. So far, I found an ls after sending someone a /tell with a name I recognized (turns out, I didn't know them). I asked for help in my party once I hit 18 to get my subjob and 3 people offered to help. I have nothing but good things to say.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next