Lobby: Up
Online: 42
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:21 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Wondering longevity
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:12 pm 

I am extremely interested in playing FFXI again. Especially the pre-abyssea days. My wonder is how is the community, is it all end game people who don't talk to new players or is it an ok balance? Also, (and I know no one can see into the future) is the server planning on being up for awhile? I'd like to get some old friends in also but noticed it's been up since 2013, so I'm not sure when they will get 'burned out'.

Post subject: Re: Wondering longevity
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:16 pm 

Hi , the server has been up i think for 7 years now and it's not only endgame focussed.. im an endgame player mainly but i just got into a new linkshell full of new players ( 1 less month ) that all joined together ( thanks to a streamer named Fahros) so i'd say the balance is ok. You don't have to worry about the server not being up... this will be up forever untill Square enix release a true official ffxiclassic server ( never...) + if u guys need help in game hit me up there , if u have any problem installing this just pop in naschat!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:27 pm 

Awesome, thank you!
My download has about an hour left, seems to be capped at 1mb.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:32 pm 

well you are using the direct link download , the torrent is much much faster if u want

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:33 pm 

Yar, like Pasquale said this place has been going for many years and likely will continue on for many more, and to this day is still generally the highest-populated private server out there. It can feel a bit top-heavy at times (especially if all you read is the bitching here on the forums all day), but in general it's pretty great to new players, too. Players can wear 2 linkshells here, so many people often have an "Endgame LS" plus a social LS, and most players are willing to help out.

Couple words of advice that I wish I had when I first started initially:
- start out with both a main and an alt, and get used to it
- don't make things hard on yourself by trying to level WHM and THF as your first jobs, heh.. Everyone levels THF eventually, but it's not a great DPS in exp and we all know it. And, since most everyone levels a RDM or WHM alt to carry around as a PL, healers in exp parties are usually a RDM or even non-existent
- if you have a fair amount of playtime, take up fishing for easy gil (especially when you're first starting out). There are tons of guides on the forums
- as much as I love Windurst, it's rough as a first-time starter nation if you don't already have a bunch of friends to play with.. Bastok and San d'Oria are far more populated, and you're much more likely to find other warm bodies there to help do things
- feel free to ignore everything above and do whatever makes you happy, it's not like any of us are paying your sub ;)

And of course: play fair, and don't be an asshole. It's a small community, word gets around faster than you'd believe, and people have long memories when you give them a reason

I'd put cool pics of my achievements/items here, if they were anything interesting. How about "I pooped today! \o/"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:36 pm 

PasqualeOmega wrote:
well you are using the direct link download , the torrent is much much faster if u want

for some reason, my computer hates magnet links. i tried on my main machine and my file server. it just sits there and doesn't actually populate the contents to begin.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:43 pm 

cosmickatamari wrote:
PasqualeOmega wrote:

for some reason, my computer hates magnet links. i tried on my main machine and my file server. it just sits there and doesn't actually populate the contents to begin.

well i guess you will have to do it with the slow download xD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:45 am 

PasqualeOmega wrote:
ha! well i figured out the problem even though the direct download has 15 minutes left /shrug
I only use torrents for private trackers so enabled DHT is useless. Apparently magnet links need DHT. I'll know that for the future if there's updates (unless the launcher patches the game).

Gollum wrote:
Yar, like Pasquale said this place has been going for many years and likely will continue on for many more, and to this day is still generally the highest-populated private server out there. It can feel a bit top-heavy at times (especially if all you read is the bitching here on the forums all day), but in general it's pretty great to new players, too. Players can wear 2 linkshells here, so many people often have an "Endgame LS" plus a social LS, and most players are willing to help out.

- don't make things hard on yourself by trying to level WHM and THF as your first jobs, heh.. Everyone levels THF eventually, but it's not a great DPS in exp and we all know it. And, since most everyone levels a RDM or WHM alt to carry around as a PL, healers in exp parties are usually a RDM or even non-existent
- if you have a fair amount of playtime, take up fishing for easy gil (especially when you're first starting out). There are tons of guides on the forums
- as much as I love Windurst, it's rough as a first-time starter nation if you don't already have a bunch of friends to play with.. Bastok and San d'Oria are far more populated, and you're much more likely to find other warm bodies there to help do things
- feel free to ignore everything above and do whatever makes you happy, it's not like any of us are paying your sub ;)

And of course: play fair, and don't be an asshole. It's a small community, word gets around faster than you'd believe, and people have long memories when you give them a reason

so back in the day i had 75 all the rdps classes (mained blm/whm) and leveled whm first. not thinking but when i got the to dunes, I could easily find a party. haha
playing as tarutaru (my favorite), i went to windurst but i might try sandoria, although I'm not familiar with the layout so I might just stick with what i know, we all end up in jueno anyway :D
i haven't played really since 2010 and getting used to the inventory, differences in ah, etc will be fun.

i guess it's realistic to assume i probably wont 75 all the rdps again lol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:50 am 

cosmickatamari wrote:
PasqualeOmega wrote:
ha! well i figured out the problem even though the direct download has 15 minutes left /shrug
I only use torrents for private trackers so enabled DHT is useless. Apparently magnet links need DHT. I'll know that for the future if there's updates (unless the launcher patches the game).

Gollum wrote:

so back in the day i had 75 all the rdps classes (mained blm/whm) and leveled whm first. not thinking but when i got the to dunes, I could easily find a party. haha
playing as tarutaru (my favorite), i went to windurst but i might try sandoria, although I'm not familiar with the layout so I might just stick with what i know, we all end up in jueno anyway :D
i haven't played really since 2010 and getting used to the inventory, differences in ah, etc will be fun.

well depends how much time u want to invest into the game , also 1 thing u may want to know is that Nasomi has level Sync but it's a custom type level sync of Maximum 10 level means u can sync down to 10 level below u ( Lv sync is necessary on private servers but while other servers offer unlimited lv sync Nas offers a 10 lv max so it forces u to experience almost every exp camp and also the gear progression)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:14 am 

PasqualeOmega wrote:
cosmickatamari wrote:
PasqualeOmega wrote:

Gollum wrote:

well depends how much time u want to invest into the game , also 1 thing u may want to know is that Nasomi has level Sync but it's a custom type level sync of Maximum 10 level means u can sync down to 10 level below u ( Lv sync is necessary on private servers but while other servers offer unlimited lv sync Nas offers a 10 lv max so it forces u to experience almost every exp camp and also the gear progression)

Yar, also, I forgot a huge thing - ALL of the auction houses across the world are linked. This basically means that Jeuno is a ghost-town for the most part (other than an army of bazaar mules in Lower Jeuno, since Nas removed the Bazaar tax in that zone specifically). Everyone just hangs out in their home nation and uses OP warps and teleports to get everywhere.

Getting to Jeuno is still useful for getting to Whitegate (the only Lure of the Wildcat warp that is enabled is the one in Upper Jeuno), but most of the time people either hoof it from Qufim or use a Tidal Talisman (either their own or by getting someone else to do it since it warps the entire party). You'll likely be able to get a Tidal Talisman of your own during the Christmas event. I *strongly* recommend getting one on your main, alt, AND your mule account (make all three!).

I'd put cool pics of my achievements/items here, if they were anything interesting. How about "I pooped today! \o/"