Lobby: Up
Online: 57
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:41 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Would you be interested in a FFXI box?
I could use it to play in the bathroom! 82%  82%  [ 124 ]
I hate ffxi, fun, and everything else. 18%  18%  [ 27 ]
Total votes: 151
 Post subject: Re: FFXI Box
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:00 pm 

nasomi wrote:
I hate you. It's on back order everywhere I look. I will be ordering one the moment I can find one available that isn't $700.

GPD WIN is a great machine with only one design flaw that I've been able to identify having not having one in my hands. The keyboard is not centered. When it comes to thumb typing, i had one mobile phone that did this a while back, and it really broke the ability to touch type with thumbs.

Lol i hate me too. I laughed real hard at my friend who was going to buy one "after the crowdfunding and they work out the kinks" because when he saw mine he went on geekbuying this morning to see 900+ preorders Haha.

It isn't perfect but there is currently nothing that compares... The keyboard placement is kind of weird but i'm relatively used to it as I use a lenovo N5902 to control my HTPC. My biggest problem is no click thumbsticks... terrible decision on GPDs part. I would be surprised if someone doesnt make a replacement stick at the rate this thing is taking off. Other than that and them forgetting to remove the protective film from the CNC'd heat sink, its amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:38 pm 
Site Admin

I could have sworn i saw int he specs that the thumb sticks had click buttons as well. i've been watching it since geekbuying sent me a preorder link a month ago.

i'm sure it'll perform quite well. It has the z8700 cpu and 4gb ram, while my teclast x80 has a z8300 and 2gb ram, so that's a considerable hardware upgrade.

how did you remove hte protective film from the heat sync? did you have to open it up?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:42 pm 

I actually haven't done that mod yet, I just know of the issue from Phawx's youtube channel. Upon removing the film he was seeing a 10C reduction in CPU temp on average. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWJ75EvAxs0

I got it installed and running and was able to log on with no issues but as soon as it hits character select screen the FPS plummets to 10~12 and that's at 1280x720 window with 512x512 background resolution, lowest settings possible, everything compressed. I was hoping that you had figured out some tweaks to get it to run better on these cherry trail units because the hardware is here... I'm playing dead space at 720p max graphics and its gorgeous and the thing is barely warm, i have it locked at 30fps

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:58 pm 
Site Admin

There's numerous tweaks you can do, primarily in power management. The CPU/GPU will be throttled by default, even when plugged in. Same with WIFI. I'd start by setting them to max performance.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:09 pm 

Slightly off topic.
Windows 10 Tablets. I know Nas is running FF XI on his so means it's doable. How many of other people are running XI on tablets? Also, how smooth the game play is? I guess crafting would be ok to do on Tablet, but can you, let's say, exp without issues?
Thanks!
(if wrong topic, soz and let me know so I can create a fresh one).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:57 pm 

From what i hear about people talking, i'd say probably 5-6 people have them. They are by no means a primary device. You can party on if you turn off things like weapon skill effects, but you're on a 8" screen, so do you really want to?

I use mine for crafting or just watching chat while at work.

Also bestbuy is now selling them for $100 if you don't want to wait for china's shipping. You'd only save like $10 buying from china anyway. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-8- ... /5451211.p

The gameplay is fairly smooth, but for some reason ffxi still looks/plays well at 15-20fps. There's tweaks you can do to crank out better performance within the windows 10 os as well.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:28 pm 

I was thinking investing in something like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Teclast-Screen ... ds=teclast
Has quite a good specs, so should take the game at the max graphics id say?

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:37 am 

Weak... it took you at least 3 steps to finish that beer... :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:43 pm 

What do you guys think about this? https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M24W7 ... f=plSrch... I dual box at 1920x1080 I think. I also play music and run Firefox. Do you guys think this would be able to handle that?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:14 am 

hi guys,
I would like to know if you made it work past the 15-20ish fps using the gpd win?
I am planning on buying one, but 15 fps, no!
in china, where I live, the gpd win is 2500 yuan (that's approximately 400$) for a modified heat sink version and improved wifi connection. but they don't refund, because it isn't the orignal seller....
don't you think the "atom0s" trick I found on the ashita website (I think I also saw someone talk about it on the forum) could get the job done?
I started the nasomi adventure a little more than a year ago, but I've been on and off since then. lack of time maybe....even lost my login infos on the forum....
but I would like to come back.
it is a lot of I, but now, I would love that a lot of YOU tell me if atom0s would function and make the fps climb to 29 all the time like on my laptop.
thanks in advance guys.
here is the link for the modified gpd win, if you want to know what I am talking about. (they also sell 4g cellular versions of it)
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a2 ... t=1#detail

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next