All times are UTC

Would you be interested in a FFXI box?
I could use it to play in the bathroom! 82%  82%  [ 124 ]
I hate ffxi, fun, and everything else. 18%  18%  [ 27 ]
Total votes: 151
 Post subject: FFXI Box
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:05 pm 
Site Admin

Most people install ffxi on their existing computers, so I'm not sure how relevant this will be. However, for those that may be interested, here's what I got.

Currently coming to market are these intel atom micro-pc's. They have fairly low specs, but should be able to run ffxi at 1080p on high settings, and double as a htpc. I'm currently testing some, and if it goes as planned, I think I can create and release an installer that will be custom to them, and would bypass the typical installation and update process.

These boxes run windows 10, have 4 USB ports, one Ethernet port, one HDMI port, one micro-sd slot, and 802.11 b/g/n wireless. They're available to both US and EU markets. They will run typical streaming programs such as Kodi/XBMC. And they cost $75-85 shipped.

I have 2 units that are arriving this week that I'll be testing on. I'll post the results of the tests, and if all goes well, at this price point I think they are cheap enough to replace whatever streaming device you're currently using, and give you the option to play ffxi on the living room tv/bedroom tv/bathroom tv.

There are also 8" tablet versions with the same specs that should run ffxi as well. I'll test one of those later though.

Please note I would not be selling these personally, merely provide information on where you could purchase one.

Update:
Got it, installed FFXI, didn't mess with the graphics much. 10-20fps in most cases, might be able to tweak it for more.

Full album of pictures here: http://imgur.com/a/BYCRU

Here it is for sale on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/M-Way-Wintel-Wind ... ords=z8300

Alternate sale site: http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Wintel-W ... 63000.html

And another alternate: http://www.tomtop.com/new-x9-intel-bay- ... -v982.html

Post subject: Re: FFXI Box
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:42 pm 

Awesome. If you could post the model you use after confirming, I will most certainly snag one.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:11 pm 

I am very interested in this, a lot of people have problems getting the game to properly run, so this would be a very simple way to have a dedicated FFXI machine.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:39 pm 

this would mean we can install the game more easily in any machine? if thats it, it would be great. right at this moment my friend is having issues installing the game, and we want to play it the both of us.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:56 pm 
Site Admin

pinacolata wrote:
this would mean we can install the game more easily in any machine? if thats it, it would be great. right at this moment my friend is having issues installing the game, and we want to play it the both of us.

This install process would be designed for this machine alone that I am testing on. I'm working on something that will be suitable for all computers as well, but that's a bit more complicated and I keep running into issues with different OS systems.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:58 pm 

Sounds like a good idea to me, my wife would love to play more but her laptop isnt meant for gaming so XI doesnt run super well on it (have to play lower resolution without any drawdistance or 60 fps) So id be interested in something like this for my living room.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:27 pm 

In my experience ffxi performs terribly on low end intel hd gfx machines. Tried on my 4th gen i5 laptop with intel hd 4600 and barely managed 30 fps at 1024x576 background resolution at low settings. (really low 16x9 resolution) It really isn't that hard to get this game running, so yeah would rather you concentrated on game content.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:35 am 
Site Admin

xandman wrote:
In my experience ffxi performs terribly on low end intel hd gfx machines. Tried on my 4th gen i5 laptop with intel hd 4600 and barely managed 30 fps at 1024x576 background resolution at low settings. (really low 16x9 resolution) It really isn't that hard to get this game running, so yeah would rather you concentrated on game content.

This isn't instead. On rare occasion I do take some time to myself, and one of the things I like doing is tinkering with new toys. On occasion, they're even ffxi related.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:57 am 

Are we talking something like the Intel Atom Compute sticks? That would be really interesting.. Bring one of those along to a friends house to show them the game and what not. My School Laptop has an absolute trash gpu so it doesn't like anything 3D very much. I was thinking about grabbing one of those compute sticks myself to fiddle with anyway so I'd love to hear about the results.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:28 pm 

I just bought an Alienware Alpha gaming console, just so I can install FFXI on it and play it on my TV, lol. So this would basically would be like the Amazon Firesticks (and Fire Box) would it not?