Lobby: Up
Online: 47
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:13 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:08 pm 

For Nasomi, I'd say bring back survival manuals or at least retool them. As this server gets older and older and content and population grows flattens out. Getting parties becomes a chore and not all of us have a lot of time to devote to it. So perhaps bring them back until the population reaches a certain point or shut them off when a class hits a certain level.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:12 pm 

Julia wrote:
Okay. I'll bite.

I think that mob repop times should be at least partially dependent on the proportion of mobs that are up of the same type locally/zonally/regionally. This encourages an understanding of realistic population dynamics and sustainability. I'm a naturalist, so the idea of a repop rate that remains constant regardless of a population size seems, to me, to be overly simplistic. Adding this complexification may get people interested in the logistic map and the dynamics of chaos.

This can lead to creativity in both directions. Killing darters would keep them from popping as often in Aery, and controlling their population uphill can affect their repop times considerably. On the other side, going to not-busy zones can be advantageous for exping with rapid repop times. Everyone likes quick repops in exp. Right? But too few of us think about how one's social choices affect our exp experience.

Just a thought. I was not a math major, so some input from the math people would be awesome.

That sounds like it would be neat. A respawn rate thats dynamic and controlled by player interaction. That would make it so the players themselves decide where the next "valkurm dunes" would be in a sense, because if they don't go to a zone for a long period of time, it could have a high spawn rate, where as an over camped area would end up barren.

Did I piece that together correctly? Because that's what I took out of it, and it sounds like it would really help with the exp location variety. There are some zones I'd love to level up in, but since it's not "efficient" we never will.

Phersulion wrote:
For Nasomi, I'd say bring back survival manuals or at least retool them. As this server gets older and older and content and population grows flattens out. Getting parties becomes a chore and not all of us have a lot of time to devote to it. So perhaps bring them back until the population reaches a certain point or shut them off when a class hits a certain level.

We have outpost warps for that, survival books made transportation way too easy. The biggest issue is it would reduce the need to use chocobo's, and removing chocobo's usage from a final fantasy game is just sinful. The white mages have teleports for the crags to bring people near a chocobo vendor, which was how it was in the old days, getting the teleport spells isn't too difficult, I managed to get the scroll quests completed solo very easy, and I'm still a noob to classic FFXI.

Besides, this thread isn't about improving nasomi's server, it's specifically about what could have been changed to FFXI classic itself to improve it. Basically, if the game was ever remade in favor of the fans of classic, what could be done to make it better.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:34 pm 

I meant more for the, "Go kill 5 bees" and get a small bonus to exp. I could care less about traveling in this game.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:40 pm 

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaha

hahaahaahahahahahahahahaha aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahhahahahaahhahahahahahah

ahahahahahahahahahahahahah
hyuckhyuckhyuckhyuck

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:59 am 

I was excited to read this thread because it sounded cool; not sure how it got derailed, but RIP.

Some simple ideas:

I definitely wish WHM was more useful. I'm not knowledgeable on all things current retail, so I might be missing something, but RDM steals all the thunder usually. Maybe alter RDM enhancing/healing skill? Not sure.

Stale loot pools. Incentive to switch farming spots, mostly.

The game itself looks fine to me. I've heard many people say it looks old, but I disagree; I think the game has unique graphics that stand relatively well if you take into account the time period. We also have a few HD mods to choose from as of recent. The best graphics in this game for me are the character models; I would love to see them with "modern" feature updates to give more in-depth character creation. Not an overhaul, just additions.

Music remasters? At least Rolanberry Fields. That shit's my jam.

Better color palette for text. Might be nitpicky.

Item durability might be cool, but not "hey, fix this, trader" durability. Farm mats specific to that piece. We're masochists, why not?

More emphasis on weather/days. I don't know if they truthfully effect drops and mob strengths and weaknesses as a whole, but it'd be cool if they did quite dramatically. "Crawler's Nest party on Watersday? No way, man! Flies have Double Attack trait on that day."

The mob population idea is really dope as well.

I think that's it. Honestly, FFXI is my favorite game, and it wouldn't be my favorite if it wasn't perfect in my eyes. These are things that might be interesting, but the game certainly doesn't need them.

I suck.
Ninja is the best job.
http://rfklinkshell.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:36 am 

Phersulion wrote:
I meant more for the, "Go kill 5 bees" and get a small bonus to exp. I could care less about traveling in this game.

Ahh you were referring to the field manuals. I mentioned I wouldn't mind seeing that, but instead of giving a flat exp reward, instead it gives a bonus to exp like the effect of an empress band for a bit. That way on top of doing your normal camps you throw in a couple other mobs you normally wouldn't due to efficiencies sake. It could let us spice things up and actually fight something different.

But I understand what you mean, you mean to get the levels 1-10 to be easier to skip since you can't level sync during then. I wouldn't mind that, but the early levels are so short that it doesn't really matter whether they exist or not.

Last edited by Zackreaver on Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:43 am 

Nalaeia wrote:
I was excited to read this thread because it sounded cool; not sure how it got derailed, but RIP.

Some simple ideas:

I definitely wish WHM was more useful. I'm not knowledgeable on all things current retail, so I might be missing something, but RDM steals all the thunder usually. Maybe alter RDM enhancing/healing skill? Not sure.

The game itself looks fine to me. I've heard many people say it looks old, but I disagree; I think the game has unique graphics that stand relatively well if you take into account the time period. We also have a few HD mods to choose from as of recent. The best graphics in this game for me are the character models; I would love to see them with "modern" feature updates to give more in-depth character creation. Not an overhaul, just additions.

Item durability might be cool, but not "hey, fix this, trader" durability. Farm mats specific to that piece. We're masochists, why not?

More emphasis on weather/days. I don't know if they truthfully effect drops and mob strengths and weaknesses as a whole, but it'd be cool if they did quite dramatically. "Crawler's Nest party on Watersday? No way, man! Flies have Double Attack trait on that day."

I think that's it. Honestly, FFXI is my favorite game, and it wouldn't be my favorite if it wasn't perfect in my eyes. These are things that might be interesting, but the game certainly doesn't need them.

Not too sure on the item durability thing, but in regards to retails changes to whm, they did get some main job exclusive job abilities. That much being said, job balance is something that is easily fixed with natural normal updates. But retail never bothered to make the content already existing in the game more viable.

We all lived in dunes and similar places because it was just the best places to be, so many zones were barren and it never got addressed. Then expansions came out and the same things repeated themselves. The game didn't really cater friendly to the players that just like to explore the world, which was one of it's major faults. We weren't really rewarded for exploring the landscape unless we were exclusively hunting a notorious monster, every other split up mob was just an obstacle in the way.

Weather effects sound cool, but players gotta have some incentive to actually even fight those things on that very same day. So flies have double attack trait, but they also drop some extra treasure. It's things like that which make things more appealing.

High risk and high reward is one of the major appeals to this game, fighting tougher mobs gives a risk of dying and losing exp, but doing successfully and quickly and you get rewarded with alot of experience. So more content that offers challenge with the promise of greater rewards is what draws people in.

In terms of how the game visually looks and sounds, this is actually a fucking beautiful game even in this day and age. Playstation 2 graphics age very well. I still come to this game just to listen to the soundtrack and play the game as an extra excuse. And watching the animations of certain mobs, weaponskills, and skillchains makes me keep coming back. If the game gets remade with more up to date graphics I would love it, but even just having what we have is easy on the eyes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:18 pm 

Nalaeia wrote:

Some simple ideas:

So about whm over rdm, whm is superior when it comes to damage mitigation and raw healing, and the bar effect potency on both elemental/status effects makes it near HNM breaking if you have a BiS whm in your team.
My main gripe is that paladin is not capable of using Mjollnir(dont give hexa, fine, black halo/randgrith are good enough), and when you consider that paladin has a higher base club skill rating than whm(??) but is unable to use the relic weapon tied to that is especially weird given how "paladiny" mjollnir is. High base damage + att + mp return on autos for a nice chunk, and a utility (with respectable damage still) relic WS that is light aspected, how did SE overlook paladin being able to use a legit beast relic? It's just an odd choice considering many other relics are multijobs and warrior is capable of using ragnarok, but not guttler?
TL:DR some jobs don't have access to certain items that make perfect sense for them to "be able to use"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:25 pm 

Tetra69 wrote:
So about whm over rdm, whm is superior when it comes to damage mitigation and raw healing, and the bar effect potency on both elemental/status effects makes it near HNM breaking if you have a BiS whm in your team.
My main gripe is that paladin is not capable of using Mjollnir(dont give hexa, fine, black halo/randgrith are good enough), and when you consider that paladin has a higher base club skill rating than whm(??) but is unable to use the relic weapon tied to that is especially weird given how "paladiny" mjollnir is. High base damage + att + mp return on autos for a nice chunk, and a utility (with respectable damage still) relic WS that is light aspected, how did SE overlook paladin being able to use a legit beast relic? It's just an odd choice considering many other relics are multijobs and warrior is capable of using ragnarok, but not guttler?
TL:DR some jobs don't have access to certain items that make perfect sense for them to "be able to use"

It's just sad that WHM has basically one effective role and it's still fairly lackluster in comparison.

To add on to the relic issue: There are jobs that have 0 relic options. Like, not even Claustrum. My father is a BLU main and is jelly of the weapon choices he doesn't have.

It really says something about a game when the only changes you can think of are mostly minor things.

I suck.
Ninja is the best job.
http://rfklinkshell.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:06 am 

Another question on the topic.

How would you guys change certain areas of FFXI so that they would be more appealing for players to actually go there and do stuff? I mean more than just the hunting of a notorious monster or the sneak/invis bypass of a mission/quest. But as in make people go there on a regular basis with a form of incentive? Because you guys would probably know more than I would, how many areas in the game are just kind of skipped on through, and most of the people you ever see there, are the occasional people slipping through for a mission/quest, or a high level completely slaughtering things in there for a loot drop.

Retail did grounds of valor for dungeon areas, which in a sense bombed because it made leveling all about killing large amounts of extremely easy mobs rapidly in a large alliance. But what I think would be neat is if some of these areas had a kind of challenge trial that players or groups of players could attempt in order to get rewards by setting certain restrictions upon themselves.

Like for example, a timed race to get from 1 end of a dungeon to the other. You would have a level restriction based on the location and destination, and entering certain parts of the dungeon will generate a mob that is inherently aggro'd to you, so it could potentially aggro the entire room (To prevent invis/sneaking through). And your level restriction would prevent members outside the party from intervening and making the encounters too easy. At the end of it all you either fight a boss mob or something and the reward is an item you can use for experience. But it's only usable if your current job is equal to or lower than a specified level (To prevent going to max level from doing low level versions of these only)

Things like these would have made the existing parts of the game more appealing as a general break to the exp grind parties, and instead you would also have a different kind of parties doing stuff like this. I like to imagine features being added as an alternative to existing content, but all with the same theme that it's got it's own challenge involved. That way if people are bored of the EXP camp's, they could do one of these to spice things up. And there's alot of potential that could be done with areas existing as they are.

Edit: More specifically, I feel like the game could have done better with more features that allowed us to deny help from people outside the party (Power levels and all that) but being able to get extra rewards as a result. I like features that reward players for doing things the hard way. I also love features that encourage and reward cooperation and coordination. It's why I absolutely love doing skillchains and magic bursts in FFXI, it gives a little extra reward for coordinating and timing things with other party members.

Anybody else have ideas that might've worked as well?