Lobby: Up
Online: 44
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:11 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:59 am 

I, personally, feel the game does a good enough job at forcing you to visit/revisit most areas in the game that you do not frequent with artifact quests/missions/notorious monsters/farming; adding anything further would just be overdoing it.

Was there not just an event that had you navigate the world to defeat monster families, which forced you to do exactly that? (I didn't partake in the event so I really don't have a good idea on how much traveling/exploring had to be done but I'm sure it was plenty)

Perhaps similar events to that with better rewards would satisfy your exploration needs.

Blessthefall
75WHM 75BRD 75SMN 75BST
Garbage/Trash/Chatoyant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:47 am 

islandwalk wrote:
I, personally, feel the game does a good enough job at forcing you to visit/revisit most areas in the game that you do not frequent with artifact quests/missions/notorious monsters/farming; adding anything further would just be overdoing it.

Was there not just an event that had you navigate the world to defeat monster families, which forced you to do exactly that? (I didn't partake in the event so I really don't have a good idea on how much traveling/exploring had to be done but I'm sure it was plenty)

Perhaps similar events to that with better rewards would satisfy your exploration needs.

I disagree, I feel like the game doesn't give you enough incentive to revisit most areas unless your already a high enough level that any real challenge there is gone. Either your fighting easy prey mobs that can barely hit or hurt you, or your in an EXP party in a well known location fighting the same mob's people have been grinding on for years. Qufim island is full of giants yet we spend most of our time leveling by killing worms, fish, and crabs. The game doesn't really incentivize you to engage with tougher enemy types because their threatening movesets would slow down your EXP efficiency. Even though some of these enemies are really cool to fight.

Some areas have mobs that spawn so far apart that it's nearly impossible to get an #2 experience chain, and with how experience chains work it pretty much encourages you to specifically level up in areas that have high spawn rates of enemies in a congested area. These open areas are either just for walking straight through, or doing a quest in some far off corner of the map. These areas end up being large just for the sake of being large, without any actual substance to them.

And low level dungeon areas can be trivialized by just being high level, there's no incentive to come there as a low level aside from masochism. If there's a piece of loot you need from a notorious monster your better off coming with a high level thief to better gaurentee the drop.

My idea was a method of creating a kind of level locked encounter that prevents high levels from trivializing by preventing them from interfering directly, while the encounters could be structured around the fact that the participants can't be hand held through it. While being rewarding for the efforts.

This of course doesn't include the high level areas since having a babysitter there isn't as viable or at times possible. But the idea is to make sure that levels 1-74 are just as important and enjoyable as level 75. Otherwise the game would just end up like retail and modern theme park mmo's, where everyone just speed levels to max level by essentially skipping everything.

Basically, retails updates didn't give alternatives to level up, they just flat out replaced the existing methods with easier and better methods. Until eventually you could level up to max level by being AFK.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:33 pm 

Zackreaver wrote:
I disagree, I feel like the game doesn't give you enough incentive to revisit most areas unless your already a high enough level that any real challenge there is gone. Either your fighting easy prey mobs that can barely hit or hurt you, or your in an EXP party in a well known location fighting the same mob's people have been grinding on for years. Qufim island is full of giants yet we spend most of our time leveling by killing worms, fish, and crabs. The game doesn't really incentivize you to engage with tougher enemy types because their threatening movesets would slow down your EXP efficiency. Even though some of these enemies are really cool to fight.

Some areas have mobs that spawn so far apart that it's nearly impossible to get an #2 experience chain, and with how experience chains work it pretty much encourages you to specifically level up in areas that have high spawn rates of enemies in a congested area. These open areas are either just for walking straight through, or doing a quest in some far off corner of the map. These areas end up being large just for the sake of being large, without any actual substance to them.

And low level dungeon areas can be trivialized by just being high level, there's no incentive to come there as a low level aside from masochism. If there's a piece of loot you need from a notorious monster your better off coming with a high level thief to better gaurentee the drop.

My idea was a method of creating a kind of level locked encounter that prevents high levels from trivializing by preventing them from interfering directly, while the encounters could be structured around the fact that the participants can't be hand held through it. While being rewarding for the efforts.

This of course doesn't include the high level areas since having a babysitter there isn't as viable or at times possible. But the idea is to make sure that levels 1-74 are just as important and enjoyable as level 75. Otherwise the game would just end up like retail and modern theme park mmo's, where everyone just speed levels to max level by essentially skipping everything.

Basically, retails updates didn't give alternatives to level up, they just flat out replaced the existing methods with easier and better methods. Until eventually you could level up to max level by being AFK.

Sounds like you need to go solo level Beastmaster, or better yet, why not make a whole new private server that meets all of your conditions? You could level cap every zone (making every mob in zone IT++), disable outside assistance (healing/buffs/etc), make the timer between exp chains unlimited and whatever else your imagination can conceptualize.

Blessthefall
75WHM 75BRD 75SMN 75BST
Garbage/Trash/Chatoyant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:32 am 

islandwalk wrote:
Zackreaver wrote:

Sounds like you need to go solo level Beastmaster, or better yet, why not make a whole new private server that meets all of your conditions? You could level cap every zone (making every mob in zone IT++), disable outside assistance (healing/buffs/etc), make the timer between exp chains unlimited and whatever else your imagination can conceptualize.

That's quite a bit of an overreaction lol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:44 am 

Mechachu wrote:

Maybe but he ain't wrong. This type of thread would be much better at ffxiah.com

I need my privacy, I need some signs please,
You're all too loud you don't speak quietly, opinions violently.
Deft/Drop

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:25 am 

Bushido wrote:
Title should be “What would you want changed about NASOMI to make it a better server?”

You literally can’t sorry and he has irritated plenty of people who were even once diehard nasomi addicts now they just play on more promising servers.

This is not a thread about changing nasomi's server

Kazen wrote:
Mechachu wrote:

Maybe but he ain't wrong. This type of thread would be much better at ffxiah.com

I mean maybe, but I wanted to start here. Do you want me gone or something?

islandwalk wrote:

First off, it feels like your giving off a bit of animosity. I only said I don't agree with you claiming the game gives enough reasons to revisit old areas. Also I don't see how solo leveling beastmaster would change my perspective on this at all, my enjoyment is in group play not solo play.

If my initial reply came off as rude then I apologize, that was not my intent.

Secondly, I don't even think a private server would be able to do most of what I would want changed about the game. The things I would want changed are more than likely outside of the scope of the games engine at this point. Rather than making a private server, I would have time better spent making a whole new game altogether. Hell even if a private server could be made to match the experience I was looking for, it would require more work than is necessary for just a private FFXI server.

Which is sort of the point of this entire thread. I don't feel like ffxi can really be changed into what I would fully want by merely making adjustments to a private server, but rather a whole new game would have to be made. Either an FFXI remake or a spiritual successor that borrows alot of great ideas. And FFXI has alot of great idea's that no other mmo has ever tried to embrace. It's one of the few mmo's that utilized level restrictions to prevent players from invalidating entire challenges through grind. No matter what level you were you could always do the level restricted events at the appropriate level, whether you were max level or the exact level. This meant you could continue to progress without leaving your friends in the dust, and that is a huge plus for the game. On top of a few other features that just make the game feel good like the way skill chains and magic bursts interact. They aren't perfect but their concepts are great.

But I made this thread because I want to see what other people would think, having their own different experiences in the game. We've all played FFXI, and we all know how to play FFXI, but aren't there some things we wish were better? I know the people that come to play on classic servers like nasomi would have different perspectives than the ones who play on retail. And classic FFXI had a much better overall group play experience, because the early levels had just as much group play as the later levels. I want to see what changes players would have wished to see FFXI get instead of what actually happened on retail.

Because in my eyes FFXI was one of the only MMO's that was the closest to having the best multiplayer experience all around, and that's saying alot because there have been tons of MMO's made at this point. I don't just come back to FFXI for nostalgia, it is also one of the most unique experiences I have ever been a part of. It may have built it's foundation upon the first everquest, but it delivered an experience I actively go back to enjoy even to this day.

I might try to make that FFXI successor one day, but first I would like to brainstorm, because brainstorming is fun and free.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:59 am 

Zackreaver wrote:
I mean maybe, but I wanted to start here. Do you want me gone or something?

Speaking for the majority of players I interact with, yes, begone thot.

Note: I mean this thread, not you personally.

I need my privacy, I need some signs please,
You're all too loud you don't speak quietly, opinions violently.
Deft/Drop

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:23 am 

Zackreaver wrote:
First off, it feels like your giving off a bit of animosity. I only said I don't agree with you claiming the game gives enough reasons to revisit old areas. Also I don't see how solo leveling beastmaster would change my perspective on this at all, my enjoyment is in group play not solo play.

I jest; your ideas were just so farfetched, I could not help but poke fun at the ideas and suggested a whole new server to implement such concepts, I'm glad you did not take it personally. You are probably correct in assuming that a brand new server with completely different philosophies would not accommodate the current players mindset, or the game in its current state. You said it best, it would probably be better suited for a successor.

Kazen wrote:

And what Kazen said, I believe this thread has gone on long enough.

Blessthefall
75WHM 75BRD 75SMN 75BST
Garbage/Trash/Chatoyant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:33 am 

islandwalk wrote:
Zackreaver wrote:

I jest; your ideas were just so farfetched, I could not help but poke fun at the ideas and suggested a whole new server to implement such concepts, I'm glad you did not take it personally. You are probably correct in assuming that a brand new server with completely different philosophies would not accommodate the current players mindset, or the game in its current state. You said it best, it would probably be better suited for a successor.

Kazen wrote:

And what Kazen said, I believe this thread has gone on long enough.

I think this part actually just confuses me more than anything. Yeah I made radical rough ideas that would need some refinement to make them less silly and more viable. I would actually love to give even more context to it, but I wouldn't want to ramble more than I already do

But the part that confuses me is why is this topic of discussion unwanted? Does it offend people that I wanted to brainstorm a successor to this kind of game?

I just figured I'd get better responses here because this era is when the games features were the closest to being 100% relevant, because it was before future updates invalidated all the old stuff. And I figure I'd get some really neat idea's here, and I already got one from Julia. These kinds of topics are fun to think about and I thought that would be the reception.

Have I mistaken what these message forums were for?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:01 am 

Are people forced to read through every single post on this forum or something? If you dont like a thread or where it's going then... just stop reading? why be an asshole.

I enjoyed reading through this topic Zackreaver! If a remake or spin off ever comes I hope they do implement some great new ideas while keeping the core of what made ffxi special