Lobby: Up
Online: 29
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:20 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:44 am 

So we can all agree from being at nasomi's server that we didn't like the changes made to retail. The step away from group play to accommodate for the smaller player base effectively turned the game into a single player experience (On an mmo)

But if we kept the things that made a group experience relevant, what would we change about the game to make it better that wouldn't result in the game experience being ruined like it was on retail.

I mostly want to talk about this stuff because it's fun, not as a means to change anything on nasomi, because I'm pretty certain alot of this stuff can't be done. But if we were to have a remake of a game like ffxi, or even just an ffxi remake in general, what would we want to have in it?

If I would change one thing, it would be the EXP rewards for enemies belonging to certain family types. Right now, we're pretty much always leveling up on the mobs that spawn in large quantity, and are easily killed. Since the only thing deciding our EXP GAINS is exclusively level differences, but there's a big difference between fighting a crab and fighting a ghost.

I would balance the experience gains from fights based on the overall difficulty of fighting a mob based on their movesets and overall difficulty to defeat. An incredibly tough lizard would be worth 200 exp, but an incredibly tough ghost should be like 400 exp or something along those lines.

But I would probably go a bit further than that. Because even if a tougher mob was worth more experience, it still wouldn't spawn as frequently. And it would still be alot easier to kill 5 lizards than it would be to kill 1 ghost.

Retail added in books and records of eminence which provided experience for killing these mobs, but the way they got added was so poorly, it essentially just rewarded you for mass killing easy prey in a giant alliance. What I feel would be better, if a similar system like that was implemented, but instead of the reward being direct EXP, it would instead grants an exp bonus for the next couple of mobs killed.

Imagine if camps were rewarded for rotating in a ghost or a goblin into their kills alongside just lizards or just dhalmels. These mobs are normally not worth the risk to kill because of how dangerous they are. But if killing one gave a bonus to killing the easier things for a bit, it would add a little extra spice to the already existing camp based EXP.

Another thing I would probably want changed, is the existing maps to have areas better tuned for leveling up. As much as I enjoy leveling up in dunes, I wish I didn't always have too. But it's just so easy to level there due to how fast things respawn there and how little walking is required. Most areas are just open and barren with nothing to kill for miles. Not efficient to level up in that environments.

Overall, I could see lots of different ways just the leveling system in this game could have been handled better than what retail did, while still maintaining the group based content that we come here to enjoy

Last edited by Zackreaver on Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:56 am 

Bushido wrote:
Delete sixboxers trusts 99cap and all the content that made ffxi into a shit game

I mean sure, but I'm not refering to how retail is. Even before all that the game had it's flaws.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:01 pm 

This one is a Nasomi thing but I wish it was more prevalent in retail as well. Bsts have a long, hard road as it is. We will die so much more often than any other job and every death isn't made back up in 15 minutes of partying but an hour of soloing. When you get high levels...1 death can wipe out a night of solo. I wish to see the Mob's pets bring in more xp again. It still took a little skill to pull the pet without being caught by it's master...but it allowed us to actually level at a decent speed. It helped BLM as well try to solo.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:10 am 

thats not what theory crafting is

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:34 am 

Aeroo wrote:

Don't let facts get in the way of the narrative.

I need my privacy, I need some signs please,
You're all too loud you don't speak quietly, opinions violently.
Deft/Drop

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:33 am 

Aeroo wrote:

That was my take away too

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:59 am 

I mean, maybe my title isn't perfect, but I mostly wanted to see what other people would think about a game like this being made in the modern day.

I know that the original team behind everquest is working on pantheon, made me wonder if the things that made ffxi great could be molded into a better game in the future.

I never liked how alot of modern mmo's have been developing, Encounters and leveling always feel empty in them. Multiplayer aspects end up being the after thought and we never have a reason to engage with other people.

It's what made me come to nasomi in the first place, at the very offset you need other people to level up, so it creates an environment where everyone meets with each other and works together.

Classic FFXI had it's flaws though, not every location was useful, not ever job was viable, and several situations end up being repeated until they run dry, but it's still a massively better experience than I can ever hope to get in any other mmo that I play.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, looking at ffxi classic on what we like and don't like, how could the game have developed better without killing that classic experience that made the game good. I already love how nasomi's approach to fixing level sync was to limit the level ranges so we don't have the entirety of the server leveling up in valkurm dunes. But I'm sure if the game was more carefully developed and consequences were better considered, we might have had an FFXI that turned out better than what we got on eventual retail.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:04 am 

the idea is fine. it's just literally the opposite of theory crafting. rename the thread game crafting or something.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:53 am 

Julia wrote:
the idea is fine. it's just literally the opposite of theory crafting. rename the thread game crafting or something.

Fair enough, I guess in my mind I had a theory on what would have made the game better, but I guess that was the wrong word to describe it.

Just kind of bored and felt like bringing up a discussion in it, because these sort of topics interest me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:03 am 

Okay. I'll bite.

I think that mob repop times should be at least partially dependent on the proportion of mobs that are up of the same type locally/zonally/regionally. This encourages an understanding of realistic population dynamics and sustainability. I'm a naturalist, so the idea of a repop rate that remains constant regardless of a population size seems, to me, to be overly simplistic. Adding this complexification may get people interested in the logistic map and the dynamics of chaos.

This can lead to creativity in both directions. Killing darters would keep them from popping as often in Aery, and controlling their population uphill can affect their repop times considerably. On the other side, going to not-busy zones can be advantageous for exping with rapid repop times. Everyone likes quick repops in exp. Right? But too few of us think about how one's social choices affect our exp experience.

Just a thought. I was not a math major, so some input from the math people would be awesome.