Lobby: Up
Online: 16
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Damage Calculator
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:06 pm 

I made this calculator out of frustration of not fully understand FFXI damage mechanics and always seeing references to online calculators but not being able to find one.
Big shout out to Sakiro for the many hours of discussing game mechanics and what is in/out of era to make this possible.
My hope is to have the community try it out and let me know if they think there is anything blatantly wrong or that can be improved to make it more accurate.
I have seen some strange things on Nasomi that don't seem to fit with retail or the equations for damage online.
If you have any questions feel free to message Odiin/Bolmster in game. I'm on after 9PM EST a few nights a week.

*****Updated link 8/27/21:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/uqqwouxg ... ct1yb4me4b

Blue fields like this are for data entry. Do not enter data in other fields.
These are your results, there are also some other yellow and green fields to help you understand your results.
1. Calculates melee damage and physical weapon skills only
2. Won't work for dual weild or H2H. That may come in the future. Also, if your a THF sorry, i didnt work in the extra SA and TA DEX/AGI damage modifiers specific to you homies.
3. Monster stats are taken from the best data I could find online and some testing. Need confirmation on them.
4. You choose the pDIF(normal and crit) caps you think are appropriate. Nasomi may be different from retail. Who knows.
4.a. Normal retail cap is reported between 2-2.4 and for crit 3, however, there is also a 1.05 multiplier I do not include in the calculations
4.b. If you want to include the 1.05 multiplier just include it in the cap you set. Ex: If you think cap is 2.4, then 2.4*1.05 = 2.52 (enter this)
5. Multihit WS use the calculated fTP on first hit, subsequent hits have an fTP of 1 unless the WS has fTP replication.
6. Although hit rate for WS hits after the first is calculated. You choose how many hits miss in the data entry section.
6.a. WS hit rate is for information purposes only. Ex: If you see that it is 50% and your WS is 4 hit, you may want to be realistic and put 2 misses.
6.b. This goes the same for multihit procs, they will all connect, but if you want to triple attack and you see your hit rate is 50% you may want to choose doubleattack instead to be realistic.
6.c. The reason i give the option for you to decide is because i want you to be able to see the full potential of the WS (which is the fun part) without having to guess your stats or put unrealistic ones in.
7. Multihits like double attacks that proc on WS will not get a crit or 2-3x relic damage proc. They also have ftp set to 1 and do not benefit from fTP replication, but do benefit from WSC modifiers.
8. If you want your WS to crit once then you choose 1 hit crit, this will modify the pDIF by +1. This is the same modfication as sneak attack (essentially a force crit).
8.a. It is my understanding that if you force crit through sneak attack, you cannot crit ontop of that for a total pDIF modification of +2.
8.b. So when you choose to crit once or on all hits, choosing the sneak attack buff will not change your damage output.
8.c. Critting on all hits should only be possible with weaponskills that say "Chance of critical hits vary with TP, however, i think on Nasomi that may be up in the air.
9. Melee DPS is calculated using the delay, % DA, TA, crit, hit rate and relic procs. The reason we do not ask for this info in the WS portion is because you choose to force a crit, miss, or multihit proc.
10. *After finding the tp generated from melee we add in the tp generated from the first WS in order to get the total steady state TP which calculates how many WS per minute you put out. This of course can change if you choose your ws to proc multihits
11. Most equations taken from ffxicyclopedia or bgwiki between 2007-2010 web page updates. I believe equations for basic damage specific to 1hand/2hand/weapon type are out of era for nasomi.
12. I tried to apply floor (round down) correctly in most places. I believe I got them correct but most of the basic equations are broken down at the bottom of the sheet.
12.a. You can check them there if you are interested in specifics like how fSTR is calculated if you want.
13. Some things I think are also possible on Nasomi and not retail are DA on every hit of a WS instead of 2 max, and critting on WS that don't say "Chance of critical hit varies with TP".
14. Also i think Kirin's Def may be slightly higher than what i have listed due to people reporting higher avg gekko's than other ws even while being at around 1k Attack.

Lets Take Catastrophe as an example
-At my current stats on Lesser Colibri i manage to actually hit values between 800-1250 quite regularly, but i will occasionally spike to 1450 without double attack procs.
-My calculator says my melee swings no food should be between 172 and 264 which seems accurate.
-However, WS says 742-1146 but i hit 1250 very often, the only way i can replicate this is by changing the cata mods to 50%STR/50%INT which would be after 2007 era. So maybe those are the real modifiers?
-However, how can i explain the 1450 damage? well since my tp suggests one hit, and the equations don't bring me anywhere near that nor my average damage. I think you can crit on any WS on Nasomi.
-It could be that the PDIF values I have are off, but it seems unlikely given all the retail data suggesting between 2.25-2.4 before the 1.05% multiplier.
-Probably there is something strange going on with Nasomi's code. I have also spoken to many players that have strange experience with damge. Like being able to do much more damage with SA on higher level mobs than lower lvl ones.
-Also, I notice sometimes my damage drops way lower than the equations, but only on very strong targets. Another thing maybe Nasomi worked in somehow.
-I also notice i melee slightly harder than expectedbut only by about 10 damage.
-I would appreciate anyone to review the equations and let me know if i made a mistake somewhere. Please show me with example calculations and real numbers. It helps a lot!

Last edited by Rbolomey on Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:07 am, edited 8 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Damage Calculator
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:18 pm 

what exactly is that drop box link?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:54 pm 

disposablehero wrote:
what exactly is that drop box link?

i think its a damage calculator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:01 am 

There are 2 sheets. You need to hit the damage calculator tab at the bottom to go to the next page. You need Microsoft excel or office online.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:56 am 

Can you make a google sheets version?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:35 am 

I just gotta ask, was this done with retail values or did you do the legwork to figure out Nasomi's formulas?

I need my privacy, I need some signs please,
You're all too loud you don't speak quietly, opinions violently.
Deft/Drop

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:37 am 

Maybe in a month or so if enough people want. Office online is free though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:42 am 

Most of the base equations are based on what is available pre 2010 from bgwiki or ffxicyclopedia. However, i give you the option to choose some of the more controversial things like weather or not you crit on a WS or what the PDIF cap is for noncrit/crit. Things like cRatio being capped at 2.25 and WS modifiers I hope wouldn't be touched. Maybe fSTR or the pDIF(cratio) function are slightly different on nasomi. TP generation seems to be working the way it should...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:30 am 

Pretty cool to play around with, nice work :)

Unfortunately I think the nas math is pretty off from retail, at least as far as I can tell. But maybe only for certain ws?

Most sam will say you need to stack attack for Kaiten for it to be any good at all, and that has been my experience. Vs seaboard vultures, with just dia 2 the attack cap is set at 677. With just food, hasso and minuet IV, I am well over that cap, but I can guarantee that's nowhere near capped in practice; a 2nd minuet + a chaos roll and/or berserk pushes the avg damage much, much higher. Part of the problem might be that that, regardless of how you change PDIF cap in cell C7, the pDIF used for max weaponskill damage seems to cap at 2.22 in cell E62. Not sure what's going on there, but pDIF being closer to 2.52 might make kaiten calculations more accurate? I'm also guessing the defense values used on the server are off too, which could help to explain why attack is so essential here.

Other observations:
The STR from hasso needs to increase atk values too, but I guess you can manually fix that. Similarly, I don't think STR gained from food is boosting attack either.
The values for minuet and madrigal are way off, need to check the in era values for those spells. g.horn buffs with 537 combined skill give:
minuet IV (5 merits) = 66 atk
minuet III (5 merits) = 58 atk
blade madrigal (no merits) = 34 acc
sword madrigal (no merits) = 19 acc
Reading through the history on these spells on ffxiclopedia I believe these are the caps for these spells in era, although I am missing I think 10 skill from theoretical cap.

The way attack benefits are calculated here is not quite right, I think mostly because foods like dhalmel steak are a % boost, not a flat boost, meaning it increases the atk you get form flat boosts like minuet. So for example while using dhalmel steak, the benefit from minuet goes from +66 to +82. There is also some weird interactions with +% attack... like using dhalmel steak will give 25% attack, but then using berserk on top of that doesn't give 25% additional; it seems to result in 50% total on base atk (including flat bonuses like minuet), if that makes any sense...

So after eating a dhalmel steak, I go from 510 atk > 641 atk (little over 25% due to +4 STR). when using berserk on top of that, I go from 641 > 769, which is only ~20% boost, not the 25% berserk would normally give.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:07 pm 

Thanks, I will confirm and update Hasso and the song spell values. I will also look into changing the way the food bonuses add so that the % buffs can be included on top of the flat buffs. Doing the food bonus first may have been my mistake instead of working it into the same tables as all the other buffs.

The reason your PDIF is so low on seaboard vultures is because they are lvl 84. So you first calculate cRatio which when you're attack is capped nets out to 2.25. However, with level correction that cRatio value is brought down to around 1.8. Then you calculate PDIF using the 1.8 which nets you out at the 2.17ish value.

I agree though, that there do seem to be some strange things on Nasomi. Like I definitely spike in WS damage by 300+ occasionally and no triple or DA is procced. I think critting on WS in Nasomi is possible even though in retail it wasn't unless your WS said "Chance of critical varies with tp". Also sometimes i hit artificially low on Kirin.

Also, I still can't seem to nail down the full range of values for normal melee swings using the equations online. I'm always 5-10 damage below and above my min/max. In order for my melee swings to work out correctly I need to confirm if the cRatio cap, level correction, and if the PDIF(CRatio) functions are accurate. I think my next project will be working out revised PDIF functions(with cRatio still capped at 225). I will go swing at targets lvl 75 and below and once I get it right, see if it translates to higher level things with the level correction worked in.

Also, once your attack = the seaboard vultures defense it should no longer read "High def". That is how we can check if the def values are accurate. However, Nasomi might have some logic increasing that value when it goes into the damage calculations.