Lobby: Up
Online: 31
Sync Range: 40
* FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:51 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:25 pm 

As a content side to add something different, I would like to see ZNM’s returned or at least a form of them. Add them back in as OWNM’s if the actual ZNM has issues. What is everyone’s thought on it? Maybe some custom content? I know this is suppose to be traditional FFXI but without new content I feel as a server we are at a impass.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:56 pm 

Bushido wrote:
It was on his list but that was three years ago

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7759

Two years three months, and to his credit some of that stuff has happened.

Meanwhile if you were playing on kupo at the time of that post your server has changed ownership twice (your characters up in the air both times).

When I look at https://na.nasomi.com/status/age.php I see something interesting. There are 216 people online that started two years ago, 114 that started one year ago, and 109 that started within the last year. There are twice as many level 75's as non 75s (discounting mules). If one believes that the declining population stems from a lack of content for level 75's, why is the strong majority of the playerbase on the server playing level 75 content? The 109 people who started this year cannot possibly be maxed on content, why are there so few of them?

Personally, I believe the server has a much bigger problem than the content problem. I believe the server has an optics problem.

What does a new player think about when choosing a private server?
1) How well does it work, are there bugs? (I believe Eden and Nasomi to be roughly equal in this regard)
2) How good is the technical support if things do glitch? (I believe this is a win for Eden)
3) How much like retail does it function? (I believe Eden and Nasomi to be roughly equal in this regard though Eden brands themselves better)
4) Are there enough players leveling to easily find a party? (~55% Nasomi online chars level 75 vs 25% Eden 75s plus a larger overall population, Eden wins).
5) Do I have friends that play there? (out of a server's control, but a derivative of overall population, which at the moment is a win for Eden).
6) How much does it cost? (Both tie as free servers)

Things that they think about after they've been playing for awhile.
1) How much content does the sever have, am I going to run out of things to do? (In my view the two servers are equal on their path to fully working jobs+content, though Eden appears to be moving faster at the moment)
2) What's the level of GM corruption/playerbase exploitation (I believe this is a win for Nasomi).

Things that they think about after they've invested serious time:
1) How stable is the server long term? (This is a big win for Nasomi, but it doesn't come into play until later)

Coupled with the "I'm not starting over" factor, I think this more or less explains why Nasomi is retaining level 75's while Eden is growing much faster. If all tiers of znm including PW were released fully coded tomorrow, that would obviously be a good thing for the existing 75's, and could even bring fifty to a hundred people out of retirement for a few months. I don't think it would do much to change the overall picture of population numbers or the optics for a new person starting here instead of Eden.

On the other hand, if the server:
1) Had a better support system without compromising on GM corruption (tricky)
2) Yanked all out of era items and custom code to beat Eden on era accuracy. (Nasomi has custom choices that make it non-retail, Eden has QOL, but a mog wardrobe is an easier sell to a prospective player who cares about era accuracy than white coney.)
3) Flesh out the aspects of the game a player encounters in their first thirty days. Why are there Christmas tree decorations up year round? Why does the weather change like the flick of a switch instead of fading? Why do starter mobs yield 100 exp? Why are there so many half baked quests and uncrafted af/mission/maat fights? If you check Eden's patch notes, they do a great job at this sort of thing.

Nasomi server can't afford to play the "only game in town" card to avoid this kind of detail work/lack of player support anymore.

All of this said, knowing what I know from many years on and around the private server scene, I would still start on Nasomi if I were choosing a place to start from scratch. If I didn't know better though, I'd start on Eden. Their selling points on the ffxi private servers discord and reddit would totally win me over; it wouldn't be till later when their server rolled over to its fourth owner perhaps, or I saw the drawbacks of active players with GMs, that I would start to question my decision to play there.

That's my take on things. I'm not an idiot, I know content is important too; I'm just trying to bring things to the surface that I think are equally important, especially to the optics for a starting player.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:12 pm 

Deadwing wrote:
2) Why does the weather change like the flick of a switch instead of fading?

Does it fade on retail? I've always thought this was working as intended.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:11 pm 

Deadwing wrote:

3) How much like retail does it function? (I believe Eden and Nasomi to be roughly equal in this regard though Eden brands themselves better)

Most of what you said I could agree with, unless you mean mechanics? Things like pdif/mdif definitely feels better on Nasomi maybe equal with Eden, but content wise there's no way you can sell OWNMs, Coney, broken elevators\drawbridges, daily dynamis, broken limbus entries, endless relics, severely undertuned mission\bcnm\hnms, broken xp camps(qutrubs/mt z erucas) etc as closer to retail than what Eden has.

I think its both optics and content....when wings came out there were tons of people excited to start fresh and over but many who literally said "i cant/wont start over, i have everything here". The server will never die because people have 6+ relics, every +1 gear imaginable, why would they work years to get that all back again?

As for the content part, ZNMs wouldn't bring people back or bring people to start here. PW while an interesting fight isn't super exciting because its a once a week\month type deal. Look at AV, everyone nostalgic remembered it was impossible to kill yet its farmed by every LS on the server today because its piss easy. I guarantee nobody is coming to Nasomi for the AV content.

On the other hand, appeal to the masses and it might....things like assault and nyzul...maybe even salvage. I would put einherjar outside of those, while fun again is a small content piece. The other stuff you can run low man groups almost daily, or save up for a week and run a bunch with a small group of friends or as an LS if you wanted. The slow n steady horizontal progression daily grind is what would make it more stable and fun.

I'm just rambling now, we'll all have our own vision of the best pservers, but ultimately until we see a unified effort (Eden is the closest to that) then we will never get an ACTUAL "retail" experience.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:46 am 

siknoz wrote:
Deadwing wrote:

Most of what you said I could agree with, unless you mean mechanics? Things like pdif/mdif definitely feels better on Nasomi maybe equal with Eden, but content wise there's no way you can sell OWNMs, Coney, broken elevators\drawbridges, daily dynamis, broken limbus entries, endless relics, severely undertuned mission\bcnm\hnms, broken xp camps(qutrubs/mt z erucas) etc as closer to retail than what Eden has.

I originally typed this post somewhat differently and this point was more along the lines of the ways that they choose to be different from retail. Coney/ownm/items vs satchels/wardrobe/yell. The way servers are unintentionally different from retail is a whole different story, though they're both important to a new player's choice. I haven't done a deep dive into Eden, and I haven't played much recently on Nasomi, but my general impression is that Eden is a truer-to-retail path to character completion, while Nasomi offers a more true-to-retail experience when actually doing things.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:06 am 

Fair enough, thanks for the clarification

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:34 am 

Deadwing wrote:
All of this said, knowing what I know from many years on and around the private server scene, I would still start on Nasomi if I were choosing a place to start from scratch. If I didn't know better though, I'd start on Eden. Their selling points on the ffxi private servers discord and reddit would totally win me over; it wouldn't be till later when their server rolled over to its fourth owner perhaps, or I saw the drawbacks of active players with GMs, that I would start to question my decision to play there.

That's my take on things. I'm not an idiot, I know content is important too; I'm just trying to bring things to the surface that I think are equally important, especially to the optics for a starting player.

I agree on playing on Nasomi over Eden if I was looking at the many options that are available now in the scene. To quote a saying that I like to throw around - And I think you know the context of it, "I don't get paid for speed, I get paid for consistency."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:57 am 

Zigma wrote:
Deadwing wrote:

I agree on playing on Nasomi over Eden if I was looking at the many options that are available now in the scene. To quote a saying that I like to throw around - And I think you know the context of it, "I don't get paid for speed, I get paid for consistency."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:21 pm 

I've played on both quite a bit, and I pretty much agree with Deadwing on all of the points he made... I just think he left out some things to favor Nas lol. Specifically, it probably depends on what you want I guess. If you want to play FFXI in the era that we all loved, it's inexcusable to have the relics/merits/dyna situation that Nas has allowed to continue seemingly in fear of pissing off old people.

Everything Nas has said makes you believe that he wants it to be as close to accurate as possible, but then constantly makes decisions that fly in the face of it. The server is dying, that's obvious. You can say whatever you want about Kupo, that it'll probably be deleted one day when one of their mods has a bad day at work. None of it really matters, because by the time that happens.. Nas will have ceased to be relevant. The content of this era was supposed to be dynamis, relics, and capping merits. Dynamis is treated like an afterthought on Nas, because you can just spam it with 4 people. Barely anyone ever runs a city dyna, no one merits, everything is easily killed by people that are allowed to have every job available max merited and wiht a relic.

Nas can't make the game harder than it was in the time. There's no content that is going to feel satisfying.

Also, this made me laugh
Deadwing wrote:
1) How much content does the sever have, am I going to run out of things to do? (In my view the two servers are equal on their path to fully working jobs+content, though Eden appears to be moving faster at the moment)

Appears?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:46 am 

Bushido wrote:
Deadwing wrote:
2) What's the level of GM corruption/playerbase exploitation(I believe this is a win for Nasomi)

How is this a win for Nasomi?

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFXIPrivateSer ... n_endgame/

Not the first post of its kind I've seen. When Nasomi tried player GMs his success rate was less than fifty percent. I'm not saying player GMs can't be done, but it takes time and good character by the server leader(s) to sort out the bad ones. This is the downside to the way they can win on player support competence.